3K/UHD 5D2 Raw development and Other Digic IV Cams

Started by reddeercity, April 06, 2017, 12:22:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bender@arsch

@Reddeercity
In the 3,5K Preset I can use audio without corrupt frames (~12sec.) and I have only in 14bit a unfrozen low-frame-real-time liveview (grayscale) too, like 4K Preset. Canon live view works with all 10-14bit. No black level problems! But the 3.5K Preset is centered on bottom. 14bit stops working after 5 sec. (hang off - > restart) - >maybe over the limit^^ but it will save correctly.

Good Job!

If you complete lossless compression, it will changed only CF Card space (in minutes) or write speed too?

reddeercity

Quote from: Bender@arsch on June 23, 2019, 07:18:07 AM
the 3.5K Preset is centered on bottom.
Yea I just notice that  ,  tomorrow I see if I have time to fix that  .
Quote from: Bender@arsch on June 23, 2019, 07:18:07 AM
If you complete lossless compression, it will changed only CF Card space (in minutes) or write speed too?
It will reduce the data rate to around 50% of the file so 10bit uncompressed 2784x1160 @ 23.976 need about 90MB/s
so with compression that should be around 60MB/s see for your self
https://rawcalculator.netlify.com/calculator_desktop

The lossless compression is in 14bit also it the same a CR2 photo's
and if you look at the frames size 14 bit lossless is 2.7MB where the 10bit uncompressed is 3.9Mb .
So yea 65MB/s is great , you could record all day long at14bit lossless 2784x1160 @ 24fps

OlRivrRat

@RDC

"@ OlRivrRat , what is the raw bit rate ?" > 10

"I usually set the "Buffer Fill Method" in the Raw Video Tab  to  "0" > I'll try it & report ~
ORR~DeanB  ~~  80D-ML  &  SL1+ML  &  5D2+ML  &  5DC+ML  &  70D+ML(AliveAgain)

OlRivrRat

@RDC

"Buffer Fill Method" in the Raw Video Tab  to  "0" > Still only 110 frames

Also, if I choose anything other than "3.5k 1:1 centered x5" in CropRec the Cam becomes

totally unresponsive while in LiveView Mode ~

Igor_Braun

@Galterius

I'm getting those vertical lines as well as "white and black long time balance (for like a minute) auto adjustment color effect" for a few months already since I started to test all these experimental builds. And not only in raw mode. And also when i remove the ML bootflag i keep getting it sometimes with regular h264. Yesterday i got it during my work. I think for now there is no issue to resolve the problem. Only play button double click, or press rec for a second and stop... or restart the camera...

Igor_Braun

I made the cropmark, that allows you to view the composition without vertical stretching before you turn 4k anamorphic on with certain cmos hi and lo settings.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iOvXj_5aFVZO01stEWZTNP7M1AB6b_qX/view?usp=sharing

Works well with the "magiclantern-crop_rec-4k-3x1_2784x1160_1920centered_7.54pm-5D2-eXperimental.2019Jun20.5D2212" build.
The order is:
1. Turn on the "4kanamo_01" cropmark
2. Set the composition
3. Turn off cropmarks
4. Set cmos[1]lo to 9 cmos[1]hi->63
5. Enter the 4k anamorphic preset
And you can shoot now with exactly the same composition
^^

PS: @reddeercity, i found out that without setting the Hi and Lo CMOS you get almost bottom centered image... and more to the left. cmosLo =9 it's also not perfect but more or less centered as well as 63. CmosLo 11 is too much to the down.
Also i'm trying to do something to make the liveview work well but without any success.
Theoretically is there any way to use regular canon liveview during shooting 4k anamorphic? We can simply glue a piece of black cardboard cut out in the center in the form of the preset. I'm talking about that because saw the 4k anamorphic preset description "To use this mode, exit ML menu and press the zoom button (set to x1). So, does 4kanamo work in x1 zoom mode? Or this description is not correct because it's from any old preset?

reddeercity

@Igor_Braun , there's a  new build , sorry I should have updated the first post , there no need to adjust cmos[1]lo & hi read here
Thanks for the Crop Marks  :)
The 1x3 4k Anamorph is far better user experience , (coming very soon) 
Just in case everyone miss this
Quoteyou will see some vertical lines at first , you need to refresh liveview !
best way , is to turn off "Raw Video" tab press the half shutter button , that will take you a frozen liveview , press trash button to enter ML menu
turn on "Raw Video" tab

@OlRivrRat , not sure what's the problem ,  you should benchmark your card to make sure it up to speed .
Did you set up crop_rec  as pre the picture tutorial on the first post of this thread ?
Maybe make quick cell phone video on how you set It up .

I think it time to make a new tutorial for the first page . 

2blackbar

Very exciting topic to read, a lot of people want the sourcecode but Dave keeps the code non public, i totally understand that guys are so excited and want to take a look at the code, but somehow its misunderstood, i get you prefere to polish everything , people want to learn cause Youre doing great things here squeezing the camera to the extremes but sometimes teamwork creates issues, i personally dont like it and prefere to work 3 months alone than split work with someone and do it in a month , mostly because of bad past experiences, and unequal skills.Fixing after them later and it takes 5 months now.
What could we do to help with lossless compression testing ? Recently some of the big resolutions are at maximum and lossless would greatly help to cut datarate in half so people wont hit the cardspeed limit and more of them could do tests. Is lossles raw in a state where it could be tried out somehow ?

reddeercity

This is as far as I got , the problem is the cam locks up when trying to save the lossless just need to figure that out and lossless works .
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=18443.msg198487#msg198487
That the last step , I can create a lossless silent dng but can't save It , freezes the cam needs a battery pull.
I have a good idea what's the problem is but haven't had the time to test out my theory

You can start reading from here to see what's being going on

reddeercity

@Igor_Braun  , I found the code to for Anamorphic preview (In tweaks.c) and it shouldn't be too big of a problem to add a 3x1 preview plus I'll add one for 1x3 also
Edit: That didn't work on 3x1, because there's a scrambled Canon liveview (I haven't figured out all the reg's for clean canon liveview in 3x3(FHD) with 3x1 4k .
But it will work with 1x3 .

masc

Quote from: 2blackbar on June 24, 2019, 01:06:42 AM
... i totally understand that guys are so excited and want to take a look at the code, but somehow its misunderstood, i get you prefere to polish everything , people want to learn cause...
That is not the point. The point is, people know how to fix the bugs we still have here since so a long time. But they only can fix it with source code. If just one guy is working on this, it will take a very long time, if it gets ready at all. With team work, this could all have been solved since months.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Galterius

I tried the new build, in 4064x590, and black level is far better than it was, I just need to make some tweaks with the green curve.

This is an awesome resolution, because we can shoot way longer than 2,7k, small crop factor, only downside is the preview, but for static subjects its ok.

Igor_Braun

@reddeercity
That sounds so exciting... Want to try 1x3 so much.
So, for now, this evening-night (because I haven't ND filters yes) i'm going to test out 3x1 in a city park and compare it with 1856 again =)
Will share the results.

2blackbar

Quote from: reddeercity on June 24, 2019, 01:45:40 AM
This is as far as I got , the problem is the cam locks up when trying to save the lossless just need to figure that out and lossless works .
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=18443.msg198487#msg198487
That the last step , I can create a lossless silent dng but can't save It , freezes the cam needs a battery pull.
I have a good idea what's the problem is but haven't had the time to test out my theory

You can start reading from here to see what's being going on
Thanks for the info Dave, so youre actuall very close to make it working, looking up how it works on other cams is a good way to crack it, today i finally have decent card for 5D2, maybe not the best but works ok and wasnt that expensive(canvas focus 128GB udma7)
I tested croprec builds and high resolutions are very impressive, On M and 5D2 i use fps override to 23.976 exact FPS and shutter 1/45 because it gives me nicest motion blur that works good evenwith handheld footage(much less micro jitters) , enabling fps override changes how shutter blur looks like and theres less rolling shutter from what i see on these cams.

OlRivrRat

@RDC

Pretty sure I followed 1st Post Tut' correctly ~

CFCard BnchMrks @ about 65MB/s LiveView On & 87MB/s LiveView Off

This CF Tests about 109MB/s in a 5DM4

Igor_Braun

Today I was late to the park and before sunset was able to shoot only one single shot using the new build...  Like the resolution so much and there are no side bars more.
https://youtu.be/nM7hfO5dkcM

Ottoga

@Igor_Braun - Getting video unavailable error message.
EOS 7D.203, EFS 55-250mm, EF 75-300 III, Tamron 16-300 DiII VC PZD Macro, SpeedLite 580EX II.

Igor_Braun

Quote from: Ottoga on June 25, 2019, 12:32:57 PM
@Igor_Braun - Getting video unavailable error message.

Error fixed.
PS: I set the Blackmagic profile in MLV Producer, decreased saturation from 100 to 56, exported to png, then added a little zoom in effect in editing program and rendered that to Avi uncompressed with 4064x1770 res

Igor_Braun

@reddeercity, correcting the preview in 3x1 preset using anamopric feature would be a good solution. I was looking for the code location but did't find it. Will check the tweaks.c, thanks! It's interesting for me too.

And also I noticed that if you select any of anamorphic view corrections it doesn't affect the image in the case of 4k anamorphic preset

2blackbar

With cheap Kingston 128GB canvas focus im getting 13 seconds in 2784x1160 but fps override has to be disabled.

Igor_Braun

Did a comparison of 3 presets: regular 1856x790, 2784x1160 and 4064x590.
Before shooting i zoomed with the lens according to the crop factor of each preset.
Critically focused each time.
Lens: Nikkor 70-210 f/4.0
Aperture: 5.6
Iso: 400
In MLVP i set the saturation to 0, exposure to +3 and chose Blackmagic profile.

The whole images looks like this:

1856x790:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QSR48nk95eIA3N5FO9TyDnDCkwvcTU6W/view?usp=sharing

2784x1160:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/11W53Eortc3acTAsksi-iJruOVoJ43nRE/view?usp=sharing

4064x590
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UDhqYLxRsc8OZlxGvqg-udXNkPeowwHB/view?usp=sharing

Zoom in:

2784 one came brighter than others, so let's level them by brightness:

4064 is my favorite although it has a lot of artifacts including a bit of digitalizing effect because of squeezing. But it's sharper than 2784 and has less crop factor, so it's more cinematic.

PS:
@Reddeercity
You said that the image is centered in 4k now, but look, when you set 9 and 34 with your latest build it looks like this:

And if you set nothing:

When did the cropmark I was using this latest build.

zcream

Something wrong with the test. 1160p seems softest of all 3. I think something in the brightness adjustment in post  made it softer.

Sent from my Redmi 4A using Tapatalk

reddeercity

2784x1160 is not centered vertically yet , it on the lower half of the sensor so not in the center of the lens .
I've being  working on coding 48p in 3x3 (can of worms  :o) will not that bad a few bugs
I'll see if I can fix 1160p in the next few days  :)

Igor_Braun

Understand what you mean. But if take a look more carefully it's noticeable that 1160 is more detailed while 790 is more "digitalized" so 790's one looks more sharp because of it. I think this happens because of squeezing the full frame image to 1856x790. And also as Reddeercity said, the image of 1160 is captured from the lower half of the sensor. The center of a lens is sharpest place...

@Reddeercity, 48 3x3 it's a full frame image with 48 fps?
PS:Waiting for the possibility to compare 3x1 with 1x3 4k anamos side to side, hehe

2blackbar

3x1 (tall one) has much better perceived resolution and less aliasing than 1x3(wide one) from previouis croprec tests