3K/UHD 5D2 Raw development and Other Digic IV Cams

Started by reddeercity, April 06, 2017, 12:22:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

masc

How do you guys get the new crop_rec to work? Tried it with the build from first page. After enabling the neccessary modules I get a error message "tcc: error: undefined symbol 'lossless_decompress_raw' [E] failed to link modules". No RAW recording possible here.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

jpegmasterjesse

masc

Oh yes... thanks. This one was still enabled and I didn't recognize. Now it seems to work fine. The picture coming in look fantastic. On the right side I get some black lines. Is it as expected that the liveview has wrong framing? It is realtime as @reddeercity wrote, but recorded image has ~ double width and height to what I see in liveview.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

masc

Oh I love this resolution and the quality you get out of the old 5D2. Went out and did some test shots. Most of them look awesome. But some other shots are a bit strange and I don't know why yet. Some colums seems to have right blacklevel, others haven't. After around 50 to 200 frames all strips disappear.

First frame looks like that:

Frame 90 with same settings:

The black bar on the right should be easily cut somehow?!

And it seems that the frame is not exactly centered on the sensor - it is a bit more on the right, so the left part of the picture is a bit sharper than the right (right is a bit more to the lens corner).

Let me know if you need a shortend MLV for analysis.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

70MM13

that looks like agtg amplifier "settling" to me.
i see if often when shooting using the reduced gain mode i love so much.  it takes about 30 seconds to go away, and then it's stable for shooting.

maybe something is being set in the registers every time recording, instead of once only?

i'm just guessing, but it looks very similar to me...

Galterius

Hey, I am new to the magic Lantern group !!
I own a 5d mark ii, and I decided to try 3k raw video on it.
All steps from the first page of this topic work, but there is one thing i don't understand

I think it is just because I am a little bit stupid, but what does that mean ?

Again sorry for my stupid question  :-X , and thanks for your amazing work... (who would have thought of 3k raw and a 10 year old camera...)

And also, is a 800x card enough to record 3k raw ? (and maybe 4k in the future) from magic lantern ?

Walter Schulz

The video modes discussed here (3K and others) are interlinked to liveview mode. Entering liveview and pressing magnify/loupe button (=called crop mode) enables recording in higher resolutions.

800x is for read mode only and has nothing to say for write performance. Lexar's 800x cards are doing very differently for different card sizes. 16-32 GB performs about 45 MByte/s, 64 GB does about 75 MByte/s. See www.cameramemoryspeed.com

Galterius

thanks for your fast answer Walter Schulz, the button to press is the top right one, right ? and is it supposed to display something on the screen to see if its anbled or not ? I don't see a way to see if its on or off..., I might do something wrong, sorry  :-X

and I didn't know 800x was only for reading, thanks . If  I use a 120mb/s card, is it enough ?
Thanks again !

Walter Schulz

Consult manual about how to operate your cam! You may have to press magnify button twice.

Rough calculation:
Horizontal resolution x vertical resolution x bit depth x frame rate x compression gain / 8 = Byte/s
4000 x 4000/2.35 x 14 bit x 24 x 0.5 / 8 = 136 MByte/s.
Cam might do about 75 MByte/s continuously due to limited storage interface.
https://rawcalculator.netlify.com/calculator_desktop

Galterius

thanks i will consult my manual  ;) sorry for disturbing you  8)

It works !!!! Thanks a lot ^^?
is it normal if I can't go to 2880 ? (I am stuck to 2560)

jpegmasterjesse

Quote from: Galterius on March 30, 2019, 06:53:07 PM
It works !!!! Thanks a lot ^^?
is it normal if I can't go to 2880 ? (I am stuck to 2560)

Use the build in the first post of the thread. Cheers!

Igor_Braun

Quote from: masc on March 30, 2019, 02:22:40 PM
Oh I love this resolution and the quality you get out of the old 5D2. Went out and did some test shots. Most of them look awesome. But some other shots are a bit strange and I don't know why yet. Some colums seems to have right blacklevel, others haven't. After around 50 to 200 frames all strips disappear.

First frame looks like that:

Frame 90 with same settings:

The black bar on the right should be easily cut somehow?!

And it seems that the frame is not exactly centered on the sensor - it is a bit more on the right, so the left part of the picture is a bit sharper than the right (right is a bit more to the lens corner).

Let me know if you need a shortend MLV for analysis.

I had the same problem sometimes but thought that the sensor's time is coming to its end. Hope I'm wrong.

Galterius

thanks for your answers, I just got some sandisk 160mb/s card that should do the job ^^
My question is now, what is the best way, according to you, to import those .mlv files into Premiere Pro ? (to not loose the raw advantage too much, I don't really know what to do, there are lots of different technics on youtube but I don't know which one to pick  :)
Thanks !!!

OlRivrRat

ORR~DeanB  ~~  80D-ML  &  SL1+ML  &  5D2+ML  &  5DC+ML  &  70D+ML(AliveAgain)

reddeercity

Thanks @masc & @Igor_Braun for feed back , interesting never happen doing testing
but that what you guys are for  :P  I think know the issue . I'll post a fixed test build  a little tonight .

By the way what was the camera setting?
e.g. ISO , Liveview preview setting,  SR memory setting (e.g. 0-4) etc. ...
did you use any Auto setting? e.g. auto ISO or auto WB ?

reddeercity

Quote from: joanllm on April 01, 2019, 09:55:09 AM
......  Is it possible to increase the 1200 pixels in the future or is this really the limit? It's just out of curiosity.
Yes (1330) , at the cost of the reduced horizontal resolution -- manly because the sensor is too slow , main clock is 24 MHz
and reads 4 channels at a time so 24x4=96MP/s (mega pixels per second)
where the 5d3 has 8 channels at 24 MHz (24x8=192 MP/s). If I did the math right 2624x1200@ 24fps = 75MP/s so near the limit of
the image sensor 96 MP/s.

reddeercity

This off topic but I will answer it this time , better to post in the raw processing threads
Quote from: Galterius on April 02, 2019, 07:54:41 PM
...... what is the best way, according to you, to import those .mlv files into Premiere Pro ?
(to not loose the raw advantage too much, I don't really know what to do, there are lots of different technics on youtube but I don't know which one to pick  :)
Thanks !!!
Will it all depends on the computer hardware you have .
e.g. fast SSD , lot's of Ram 16-32GB & fast CPU ( at least a 8core i7 or AMD FX)
In all workflows , the best way is to use MLVFS (Cdng on the fly , Virtual Cdng's) specially with 5D2
once you have mlvfs installed load MLV on to SSD ( does work will off the CF card but a little slow)
The big advantage is you don't have to export Cdng & use up hard drive space , just load them in to mlvfs start grading/editing no wait time .
Works in MAC , PC  & Linux , I've used it with Blackmagic Resolve & CS6 Adobe After Effects .
My preferred workflow on my PC (Windows) is Adobe After Effects (ACR) -> dynamic Link to Premiere Pro
Make a After Effects Composition , do your Camra Raw adjustment with ACR save it
In Adobe Premiere Pro, choose File > Adobe Dynamic Link > New After Effects Composition
You will need a very fast computer to do this .

My Mac workflow , is a little different depending on what I'm doing .
I all ways start with Adobe After Effect CS6 & MLVFS
If I'm doing heavy FX in Autodesk Smoke for MAC , I'll export either 12bit DPX or 16 bit Tiff image sequence
after I'm done I save as a ProRes 4444 XQ or 16 bit tiff sequence .
If I'm doing lite color grade & editing , I export 16bit tiff from AF+MLVFS to Apple compressor and save
it to ProRes4444 XQ+ alpha and finish off in FCPX ( it's truly my real favorite all around video App) IMO  ;)

reddeercity

Updated 2.6k_5d2_4-3-2019_crop_rec.rar , adjusted the right side offset .
So now it's 2592x1200 @ 23.976fps , the raw dump is 2618 but because of the "Mod 8" thing for resolution size it goes to 2592 .
Canon liveview (pinkish) blacklevel is off for some reason more then likely it's the liveview preview reg's are not right ,
I'll need to play around with them , for now just use Auto or ML gray scale preview .

Galterius

thanks a a lot reddeercity and OlRivrRat.
My pc should handle it (I have a i5 6600k and 32gb of ram), I will try the new crop_rec in a few minutes !
and sorry for the offtopic, I won't do the mistake again !!

Igor_Braun

Quote from: reddeercity on April 03, 2019, 04:54:26 AM
Thanks @masc & @Igor_Braun for feed back , interesting never happen doing testing
but that what you guys are for  :P  I think know the issue . I'll post a fixed test build  a little tonight .

By the way what was the camera setting?
e.g. ISO , Liveview preview setting,  SR memory setting (e.g. 0-4) etc. ...
did you use any Auto setting? e.g. auto ISO or auto WB ?

Where can I see "SR memory settings?"
I remember ISO was 1600 (I've tried with 800 also, and in my case the lower I go, the less likely this glitch happens), I didn't use any auto settings, WB was something like 5400... (actually, I don't remember exactly, but usually I use this WB when shooting in my room)

reddeercity

Quote from: Igor_Braun on April 04, 2019, 02:27:55 AM
Where can I see "SR memory settings?"
Near the bottom of MLV Raw Video Tab or in the "mlv_rec.cfg" file
This is my mlv_rec.cfg file
# Config file for module mlv_rec (MLV_REC.MO)
mlv.video.enabled = 1
mlv.res.x = 7
mlv.bpp = 0
mlv.aspect_ratio = 17
mlv.write_speed = 6969
mlv.display_rec_info = 2
mlv.buffer_fill_method = 0  *** this is the SRM***

Quote from: Igor_Braun on April 04, 2019, 02:27:55 AM
I remember ISO was 1600 (I've tried with 800 also, and in my case the lower I go, the less likely this glitch happens)
Ok that's what I'll looking for , High ISO seems to have problem with these experimental builds even the old
dual ISO video module did this , maximum ISO I use is 800 (rarely thou) , I mainly use 100 -> 400  & if that doesn't get
correct exposure then I just add artificial light .
I test these experiments  between 100 & 400 ISO , so I can say at those ISO setting I have no issues .

If you when to use 800 & 1600 ISO I would recommend that you first set it in 3x3 (FHD) then reboot the cam
this also will refresh liveview , (that's part of the problem "Liveview not refreshing with HI ISO)
A thought , the play button should also refresh Liveview , so maybe try that .

In the mean time I will look in to this further , but no guarantees that I can fix it .

masc

Thanks @reddeercity. The black bar at the right is gone. But is there any possibility to center the frame? It is still a bit shifted to the right. So when recording full open, the left side is perfect, while in the right side you see if a lens is not good (enough for this resolution). :)
If standard 3x3 is that:

the crop frame is that:

If I use the joystick to move around, the next step to the left is also not centered (more or less the same as here, but to the other direction).
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

reddeercity

Igor_Braun

Quote from: reddeercity on April 04, 2019, 04:17:24 AM
Near the bottom of MLV Raw Video Tab or in the "mlv_rec.cfg" file
This is my mlv_rec.cfg file
mlv.video.enabled = 1
mlv.res.x = 7
mlv.bpp = 0
mlv.aspect_ratio = 17
mlv.write_speed = 6969
mlv.display_rec_info = 2
mlv.buffer_fill_method = 0  *** this is the SRM***

Ok that's what I'll looking for , High ISO seems to have problem with these experimental builds even the old
dual ISO video module did this , maximum ISO I use is 800 (rarely thou) , I mainly use 100 -> 400  & if that doesn't get
correct exposure then I just add artificial light .
I test these experiments  between 100 & 400 ISO , so I can say at those ISO setting I have no issues .

If you when to use 800 & 1600 ISO I would recommend that you first set it in 3x3 (FHD) then reboot the cam
this also will refresh liveview , (that's part of the problem "Liveview not refreshing with HI ISO)
A thought , the play button should also refresh Liveview , so maybe try that .

In the mean time I will look in to this further , but no guarantees that I can fix it .

Understood.

I've tried to achieve that glitch again, but no result... But from this moment i will be attaching my videos.  This shot with ISO 1600, WB 4500, everything was ok...
https://drive.google.com/open?id=15gcACm5Wyj0x2MUcQd0BU66baNNeATuA

My  mlv_rec.cfg is:

mlv.video.enabled = 1
mlv.res.x = 13
mlv.bpp = 0
mlv.aspect_ratio = 16
mlv.write_speed = 7394

Thank you for the advise, and i understood you about 100-400 iso range.

Also wanted to ask you about your plans for squeezed 4096 videos. I just think it's a good way to cover a larger sensor space for reducing the crop factor to 1.37 and get more cinematic look. Or am i wrong? And also remember that aspect ratio, in that case, was close to 2.34:1, which is awesome...