3K/UHD 5D2 Raw development and Other Digic IV Cams

Started by reddeercity, April 06, 2017, 12:22:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bender@arsch

The new Preset works great, but...

Is it possible to switch the live view on and off, as the recording time is reduced by ~1/4? Or implement the old one too?

And is it possible to change the area of the live view before recording? -> left middle position is not perfect sometimes. You can change it with the joyspad (during the recording), but only limited. Too much -> error

reddeercity

Quote from: Bender@arsch on February 19, 2019, 09:25:46 PM
Is it possible to switch the live view on and off
No , that's how video works thought liveview . No liveview no video

... is it possible to change the area of the live view before recording? ......
No , that's the way it's in crop_rec.mo
If you want to move the crop window around  you must use the ML default 3x crop_mode without the crop_rec.mo enabled .

left middle position is not perfect sometimes.

That will be fixed in updated crop_rec.mo , to come very soon , just working out a few bugs right now.

Just some notes: for developers only
Figured out why/how to get canon liveview (real time)while recording raw with extended or reduced resolutions .
Simple ,  the final frame rate must be 23.976fps -- 23.98 , 24.004 or even below will give frozen liveview
I tested on a (1x3) Anamorphic 5k preset in 3xcrop I'm working on (1664x1842 @ 23.976fps = 4992x1842 )
If I chose canon liveview I get full canon color liveview in standbye or recording raw that's real time!
Plus this seems to fix HDMI , you no longer need to force HDMI -> VGA(480p)
Works now at 1080i , even when recording , but this does take resources from recording raw (less frames + the chance of corrupted frames)
I kept adjusting  A & B timer to fine the sweet spot , also noticed that at 23.976 the sensor run way cooler & liverview refresh is fast no delays
special panning the cam , everything just works smoother at 23.976.
I guess because the sensor runs at 24 MHz

Igor_Braun

Thank you so much, we are so waiting for it... Stupid question, but how to adjust that final framerate?

ilia3101

Quote from: Igor_Braun on February 20, 2019, 11:53:01 PM
Thank you so much, we are so waiting for it... Stupid question, but how to adjust that final framerate?

FPS overrride is not working with these builds as the timers need to be at special values... but you can hack it:

1. go in to crop mode
2. go to fps override, but do not turn it on
3. read the timer A and B values in advanced section
4. turn fps override on, and set the A and B values to what you read in step 3
5. increase timer A to reduce fps
6. (you may have to leave live view and go back to get rid of artifacts created while adjusting timers)
7. done

This is assuming you're using 5D2 and the 3k crop preset, as that is what worked for me

reddeercity

Sorry those note where intended for developers not end users
I was thinking out loud
I would not recommend adjusting timers a & b in crop_rec
can cause soft brick , or other possible issue/damage .
I'll have to disable that in future builds for end users

Igor_Braun

Okay, Thank you so much Ilia, actually, it's very interesting for me... But I think now I won't touch the timer values. Just in case will follow the advice of Reddeercity, because my 5DII is the only camera I have and I still work using it. But thank you anyway.

Danne

Timer values can be altered to match crop rec and put into fps-engio.c but I don´t see why. Better to just profile them for a certain preset. I alter timers all the time for my eosm. Sometimes a tweak can lead to less corruption and so on. The thing is. If code would have been continuously updated I could have put in those tools myself but I assume code is coming one of these days...

dfort

@reddeercity - Thanks for your notes on the registers for the 7D. I've got things pretty much working on a merge of the raw_video_10bit_12bit_LVState and RscMgr_memory branches so I pulled in the Digic Poke changes @waza57 made and it seems to be working.

The default is to adjust 0xc0f08008 so I take it that this is an interesting register?

0xc0f00000 Register family
+ 0x00008000 Register base
+ 0x00000008 Register offset
  --------------
  0xc0f08008 Value

Could you please give us a simple example of how to use this tool using something that you have already tested on the 5D2? I have a feeling that much of your work on that camera will translate to other Digic 4 cameras.

Thanks!

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: dfort on March 03, 2019, 05:35:40 PM
Could you please give us a simple example of how to use this tool using something that you have already tested on the 5D2?

+1

I have a feeling that much of your work on that camera will translate to other Digic 4 cameras.

Likewise. Big time!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

reddeercity

Could you please give us a simple example of how to use this tool using something that you have already tested on the 5D2? I have a feeling that much of your work on that camera will translate to other Digic 4 cameras.
Thanks!
Sure , have to dig it up & refresh my memory .

I'm slowly moving away from D4 (5d2) and moving in to D5 (5D3) for now (need the stable 4k raw for up coming projects)
So I'm actively looking (if any one knows of a good deal PM me).
If not then it's looking like a EOS R (4k 10bit canon log HDMI) or EOS RP(4k HDMI but in only 8bit & no Canon Log - $1000 cheaper)
I thought of a 5D4 but is so close to what the 5D3 can do internally and still it's only 1080p from the HDMI .
But I will keep my 5D2 for backup & further development's , still need to get Lossless & cf card bus overclocking working yet .

Igor_Braun

Reddeercity, I understand you, but how sad it is... Do you still plan to finish your work with turning 5d2 into a UHD cinema camera and finalize your presets (including your awesome vertical squeezed preset) and lifeview?

reddeercity

Quote from: Igor_Braun on March 06, 2019, 04:24:48 AM
Reddeercity, I understand you, but how sad it is...
Do you still plan to finish your work with turning 5d2 into a UHD cinema camera and finalize your presets
(including your awesome vertical squeezed preset) and lifeview?
Yes , don't worry  ;) all that plus a surprise or two

Quote from: Igor_Braun on March 06, 2019, 04:24:48 AM
(including your awesome vertical squeezed preset) and lifeview?
Oh ,  something farrrrr better ,
hint : has something to do with 5k  :P :P

honza123

EOS 5D Mk.II

reddeercity

A little preview of things to come ,
I just putting the finishing touches on 1x3 5k Anamorphic setting in 3xcrop_mode(5x zoom) (well not totally 5k, but  closer to 4.9K)  :D
Start with 1632x1828 @ 23.976 fps with less then 20us/line of rolling shutter , that's better FHD (around 24us/line)
Once you stretch the horizontal (3x) you get 4896x1828 @ 23.976 fps without any aliasing or moiré pattern  :o
That's not the best part ! I have real time liveview plus with corrected aspect ratio that not distorted !!

Before without any liveview A.R. Correction

After with liveview A.R. Correction

How did I do this you may ask ?
Well I just used the Anamorphic correction that's all ready there in magic lantern under display settings
Thou I may update that to 3:1 , which is the real corrected A.R. but it's close enough for now (that really cool)
>

Shot a quick video on my iPhone , showing this option being enabled and recording raw video .
I posted it on my google drive IMG_2710.MOV
Thou the correction does not work while recording raw video , it does work in standby mode only , great for framing you shot .
Also HDMI work great too , but correction does not work though the HDMI just on the LCD screen .

I'll try and push this one though for a test crop_rec module for tester , so keep a look out for it.

@dfort , I haven't forgot about you and the digital poke on 7D , just trying to wrap things up on the 5D2 crop_rec .

jpegmasterjesse

banertop

ilia3101

Really exciting,

But it should be compared to the original '3.5K' preset (3008x1080), to make sure it actually gives a more detailed image. I'm still uncertain about 3x squeeze.

Can we see some samples maybe?

DeafEyeJedi

reddeercity

Ok , how this

1x3_M07-0007_000000.png
1x3_M07-0007_000000.dng

Exported Tiff from Adobe CS6 A.E.
>
4896x1828_M007-0007_00000.tif

The only way to process this is in Adobe After Effect , non of the app on the form do 3x horizontal resolution I've only seen 2x , I did make a  request on the mlv app thread
but got no response . Beside that I like ACR anyways , I just set the project size e.g. 4896x1828 then just stretch out the horizontal , done .
Exported a ProRes 422LT ,  217MB 4896x1828_23.976fps_ProRes_422LT_M07-0007.mov

Also here a mp4  from A.E.  , A.E. will not export at 4896x1828 h264 instead it exports at 4096x1828 , so it looks like it just crops the side .
4096x1828_A.E._cropped_M07-0007.mp4 22MB

ilia3101

Thanks, actually looks much better than I expected! Can't say it's sharper than the 3008x1080 preset, but close, will be useful as it has less crop factor.

Quote from: reddeercity on March 10, 2019, 02:14:08 AM
The only way to process this is in Adobe After Effect , non of the app on the form do 3x horizontal resolution I've only seen 2x , I did make a  request on the mlv app thread
but got no response .

You did get a response...

Quote from: masc on February 10, 2019, 11:10:36 AM
But now back to your request: 3.0x horizontal stretch is there since v1.5. If the file has the right metadata the setup works automatically. If not, you have to setup height stretch factor to 0.33x. MLVApp always upsamples since v1.5, so a height stretch factor of 0.33x is realized as width stretch factor of 3.0x. In older versions you can do this manually for ffmpeg export by entering your desired output resolution (frame is stretched once only on export, so no quality loss). Maybe we should add a information label somewhere, which shows the resolution after stretching.

Basically do this: set the vertical stretch factor to 0.33x in Transformation section, and MLV App will upsample horizontally by 3x.

I will admit that is confusing. @masc could we make it nicer and have it as horizontal 3.0x? Or even allow the user to enter custom value?

Also an shortened MLV would be nice if you could? to test out in MLV App :)

jpegmasterjesse

How large is the crop factor? I love the high resolution 5x stuff but the closer we can get to full frame with higher rez is obviously desirable.

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: Ilia3101 on March 10, 2019, 02:50:00 AM
I will admit that is confusing. @masc could we make it nicer and have it as horizontal 3.0x? Or even allow the user to enter custom value?

Agreed. Good call.

Also an shortened MLV would be nice if you could? to test out in MLV App :)

+1

masc

You did get a response...
Correct. (Works officially since december 2017 in MLVApp (v0.12), when entering resolution manually.)
I already explained that somewhere else: this is close to impossible because we automate correct stretching in dependency to metadata. Now we set one UI element in dependency to this metadata. Doing it to horizontal stretching would make it far more difficult without advantage. Quite the contrary: when using 1x3 with horizontal stretching + anamorphic lens, it becomes impossible to stretch.
If I disable automation completely - no problem. But it won't be easier.
If it is easier for you, I could name the elements different: "anamorphic lens correction" (=horizontal stretching) and "sensor readout correction" or something like that (=vertical stretching), with 1x1 -> 1x1, 3x1 -> 1x1, 5x3 -> 1x1 and 1x3 -> 1x1.
On the other side, since a very long time in export options you can resize the export to any resolution without quality loss.

Edit:
I now implemented a label which shows what you'll get.

Tip: if you set metadata in camera correctly, MLVApp shows the right AR automatically, and you also can fast export to DNG with correct AR. Adobe programs show correct AR out of the box then.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

ilia3101

Quote from: masc on March 10, 2019, 11:14:28 AM
Edit:
I now implemented a label which shows what you'll get.

Tip: if you set metadata in camera correctly, MLVApp shows the right AR automatically, and you also can fast export to DNG with correct AR. Adobe programs show correct AR out of the box then.

Thanks! I like this

Quote from: jpegmasterjesse on March 10, 2019, 07:06:49 AM
How large is the crop factor? I love the high resolution 5x stuff but the closer we can get to full frame with higher rez is obviously desirable.

Divide 5616 (sensor width) by the video width, for example: 5616/3008 = 1.86x crop

@reddeercity, I know you have been increasing the width mostly, but would it be possible to increase the height and ignore width? something like a 2000x1500 preset for example, instead of 3008x1080. It would be nice for anamorphic lenses or people who just enjoy aspect ratios.