Magic Lantern 2.3 Do you install the entire download onto your SD card?

Started by ZeroUnityGain, September 06, 2012, 10:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZeroUnityGain

Hi Guys,

This one's got me puzzled.  Every tutorial I see on installing ML 2.3 says to install all the downloaded files.
I've got the 550D and I see the 550D-109.fir file.  So do I need the other .fir files?   There's also an autoexec.bin, the two PDF install and user guide files and then there's the ML folder with all its stuff.  So exactly what do I need to copy to my SD card?

Cheers

Malcolm Debono

Pretty sure you don't need the other firmwares and the PDFs. I just unzipped the whole zip file to the card as I couldn't bother deleting them.
Wedding & event cinematographer
C100 & 6D shooter
New here?  Check out the FAQs here!

ZeroUnityGain

Quote from: Malcolm Debono on September 06, 2012, 11:28:19 PM
Pretty sure you don't need the other firmwares and the PDFs. I just unzipped the whole zip file to the card as I couldn't bother deleting them.

Thanks for your reply, Malcolm,

I suppose given that the whole file is only 5Mb it wouldn't hurt to dump the lot onto the card.  It's just a bit off-putting that there aren't any other opinions that could clarify this.  Wonder what else is left up to guesswork?

Cheers

Zug

nanomad

If no opinion is given it means that it doesn't matter. You can either keep everything or delete the pdf and the other .fir. I usually keep everything because so that I can demo and use ML on other cameras :P
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

ZeroUnityGain

Quote from: nanomad on September 07, 2012, 10:04:39 AM
If no opinion is given it means that it doesn't matter. You can either keep everything or delete the pdf and the other .fir. I usually keep everything because so that I can demo and use ML on other cameras :P

Ok, so I go with the 550d fir (my camera). There's also an autoexec.bin file -- and the ReadMe file more or less says that you need this so the camera will boot.  So I guess I'll go with that.  I'm not sure about the ML folder, but I guess I'll go with that too.  A lot of guessing, but what the hey.

nanomad

Why would you complicate your life, just leave everything on the card (since the guide doesn't tell you that you should remove anything)
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5