A bunch of 3168 x 1320 14bit lossless 5D3 DNGs for you to try

Started by hyalinejim, April 02, 2017, 08:57:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hyalinejim

If you don't have a 5D3, you can check out fifty 3K frame grabs here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/oqdeuipslwnvipq/AADPkIFTb-HCVPmdsZKz6AeEa?dl=0

I'm getting continuous recording at this resolution in 14bit lossless.

bpv5P

The footage is underexposed or it's just your processing? Try AETTR module...

ted ramasola

Quote from: bpv5P on April 03, 2017, 05:38:26 AM
The footage is underexposed or it's just your processing? Try AETTR module...

It's his post processing choice as I have played with the DNGs hyalinejim has shared. They are raw files and they contain most of the highlight and shadow data and you can tweak the image to your hearts content.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

poromaa

hm... I guess the canon 5Dmk3 just gained some. Great images!

goldenchild9to5

WOW.. Beautiful great job that's awesome footage looks nice and sharp.  Were you able to clearly see images while recording in liveview?  Now it's time to boot-up my 5D sleeping late tonight :)

martinhering

Does anybody know what type of CF card is actually able to record this much data? I have the Lexar Pro, that says 160 MB/s. I quickly tested 3k, but I need a CF card that is at least twice as fast.

@hyalinejim
What did you use?
5D Mark III, EOS M, 700D

Walter Schulz

CF-card interface in 5D3 is UDMA-7 compatible. Theoretical bandwidth limit is 166 MByte/s and because this number defines 1 MByte = 1000 kByte and ML uses 1 MByte = 1024 kByte -> 166 MByte/s = 158.3 MiByte/s (ML).

Using ML benchmark in photo mode gives you the very rough number where the card limit is when running Canon without ML tasks taking their toll.
Modules -> Bench.mo -> Restart in photo mode -> Debug tab -> Benchmarks -> Card benchmarks -> Quick R/W benchmark (1 min)

Lexar Pro is among the best performing cards you can get. Rivaled by fastest UDMA-7 Sandisk. See http://www.cameramemoryspeed.com/reviews/cf-cards/ and http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=12630

I think we established cam is good for about 100 MByte/s continuous recording to CF slot. Anything beyond ... not so sure.

hyalinejim

I used Komputerbay 256GB 1066x which gives me a maximum of around 96 to 99MB/s depending on what mode I'm shooting in. (based on "expect X frames at XXMB/s" message in RAW menu)

As Walter mentioned, the ultimate bottleneck is the camera.

DeafEyeJedi

Both 128gb 1066x & 256gb 1066x CF cards from KomputerBay have been serving me really well over the years.

5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

goldenchild9to5

@DeafEyeJedi Still have my old Komputerbay cards gonna give them a try.  Also when in 3K mode the image from LiveView is really choppy, have you experienced that? 

hyalinejim

Quote from: goldenchild9to5 on April 06, 2017, 12:36:43 AM
Also when in 3K mode the image from LiveView is really choppy, have you experienced that? 

Yes! At lower resolutions the preview is in colour and faster. As the bitrate limit is approached LiveView switches back and forth the grayscale preview.

goldenchild9to5

@hyalinejim Thanks for confirming.. Think the 5D III maybe Maxed out.