Ghost In The Machine? 50D Still Shoots Vid After Formatting

Started by luckharris, April 02, 2017, 10:57:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luckharris

Hey all,

My 50D is shooting video without ML on it. To clarify, it had ML on it, but now it does not. The version I had on all my cards was magiclantern-Nightly.2017Mar12.50D109. I had used it to shoot a few RAW video tests, but decided the workflow was a PITA, so I pulled Magic Lantern off my cards. But to my surprise, this baby still shoots video.

Steps taken:

1: Inserted CF card that had been formatted in-camera with "Remove ML" toggled on into PC thru USB/SD hub.
2: Formatted CF card.
3: Inserted card into camera; formatted it for 50D so I could use it as prompted by Canon.
4: Entered Live View Mode
5: Hit center "Select" Button; Video starts rolling.

While I was shooting, the exposure auto-adjusted, though I don't know if this was exclusively with Iris control or with ISO/Exposure compensation as well. Definitely was controlling the aperture because I could see and hear it closing and opening.

I was pretty surprised, given that video is not a function of a stock 50D. So I tested it further and reinstalled the Canon firmware (1.09) via a formatted CF card. Camera successfully completed the firmware update as detailed by Canon instructions.

To my further surprise, the thing's still shooting video when I go into Live View mode just as it was before.

I've attached a link to some test footage, with my ML folder as well as some comparison stills.
I tried it using both the Canon 50mm 1.8 and a Sigma EX 30mm 1.4. I didn't pay attention to the aperture while I was shooting the 50, but the Sigma was set to F2.2. The files it generated are all .MOV. They're 1920x1080, and VLC is listing them as 30FPS. I'm not sure what the bitrate is cause I don't think I have anything that will view it and I'll probably mess the math up.

Apologies if this has been discussed before ; unsurprisingly, searching for the terms "50D" "shoots" "without" "magic lantern" yielded a fairly overwhelming amount of results.

Just thought this might be of interest to you guys. Has anybody else had this issue/quirk?

Teamsleepkid

Look at the card after it's formatted on a computer. It probably still has ml folder on it. You can put it in the trash and then it should actually be gone. I've noticed this. After format I always have the ml folder still on the card. Just trash it and put the card back in the camera.
EOS M

a1ex