crop_rec on steroids: 3K, 4K, 1080p48, full-resolution LiveView

Started by a1ex, April 01, 2017, 11:15:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garry23

@a1ex

Have repeated your instructions and don't get the error  :)

But end up with a cropped mlv capture at video res.

As I say, I'll keep playing around until I 'get it'  ;)

Thanks for your continuing support.

garry23

I hope a video guru can help me out.

Assuming I set an override shutter as x sec, say, for example, 0.2s.

I'm shooting FLV with this crop_rec module and I wish to capture y sec of video, say 10s.

The question is, what FPS override should I use?

Should I add a few ms on to my shutter speed and work out a suitable FPS?

Obviously, in theory I could use an FPS of about 4-5 in the example above.

I would welcome any guidance.

Danne

Did you read a1ex answer ;)?
Anyway. If you don't touch fps override, does it work? Isn't anything working using flv? We need more contextual references.

garry23

Sorry, should have been clearer.

Working well  :)

What I'm trying to do now is craft a Lua script that takes the long exposure time required as an input and sets up the crop_rec etc

The shutter will be set up for the scene.

So I'm trying to work out what settings are 'best' to minimise the frame frame gap.

I'm not worried about 180 degree shutter rules, I just wish to set up FPS override, based on the shutter.

As I say, if my shutter is 0.2s, what should I use as the FPS?

Five, or would it be best to lower it a bit.

Is there an algorithm that helps? That is takes the shutter, adds a 'bit' and thus leads you to the FPS override.

Cheers

Garry

Danne

Ok, so then just go from what's working and by trial and error see what works or not pushing limitations? It's all what looks good in the end is it not? It's not like anybody with certainty can tell you what to do here. Not me at least ;).

garry23

@Danne

Thanks.

I was just checking that there wasn't a 'right way'.

Let the experiments begin  :)

Cheers

Garry

garry23

@Danne

Hope you can help.

I have made great progress and now have a script running that does what I want, ie sets up the FLV correctly, lets you check it and takes a FLV MLV of the length specified.

What I can't work out is how to direct the mlv capture to the second card in my 5D3 (the sd card).

I have it selected in the Canon menu, but I only get the mlv on card A.

I've looked through the ML menus, but can't see how to direct the recording to the second card.

Danne

Why would you?
I think these builds are recording raw files automatically to cf card if present and I think you are the first ever to ask for it not to. Well, I'm not that surprised ;).
I guess if you remove your cf card it will record your mlv to sd card. A workaround.

garry23

@Danne

I have ML on my CF card, a 64gb card.

I have a 256gb sd that I was hoping to record the larger MLFs to.

As you say the work around is to put ML on the sd card and not have a cf card loaded.

I'll look at that tomorrow.

Walter Schulz

Without overclocking 5D3's SD-card interface is limited to 25 MByte/s (theoretical) bandwidth.

garry23

@Walter Shultz

Damn! Just 'wasted' a few pounds on a 256Gb SD card  ;)

Oh well, such is life.

BTW, looking at the numbers, I believe the sd card would be good for FLV at, say, 1-2 FPS, but not at the 'max' of 7 FPS.

Looks like I need to buy a cheap 256Gb CF card that will cope with the 7 FPS FLV needs I have, ie about 54Mb/s. Does anyone have any recommendation as I'm not seeking to max out the 4k recording, 'just' handle the FLV feature.

Cheers

Garry

Dmytro_ua

Quote from: garry23 on November 27, 2019, 07:44:48 AM

You can use it to record proxies. It's handy to preview the recorded material in a camera. Unfortunately, it doesn't work with all resolutions.
5d3 1.2.3 | Canon 16-35 4.0L | Canon 50 1.4 | Canon 100mm 2.8 macro
Ronin-S | Feelworld F6 PLUS

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: garry23 on November 27, 2019, 07:44:48 AM

Perhaps you can scoop up an EOSM and utilize this SD. Ha.
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

garry23

@DeafEyeJedi

Yes, no problem in using it.

BTW I already have three EOSMs, one IR converted.

Cheers

Garry

DeafEyeJedi

ilia3101

Noob 5D3 questions coming up ...

How important is having a working SD card slot for the 5D mark III in 3K/4K?

Does having magic lantern on the SD increase performance of the CF? Can you even install ML on the CF instead of SD?

Also does the feature where it uses both cards at once for increased write speed still exist?

ilia3101

Ok I did get 5D3 with broken SD slot. ML works great. Gonna replace it myself, the part is 25$ on aliexpress.

I have downloaded the newest crop_rec_4k build, which is from july 2018, and all the presets are great fun to test out, however I have noticed the UHD 1:1 mode is not centered vertically:

With swirly bokeh lenses this is quite noticable :D

Can anything be done about this? I tried the advanced settings in crop_rec, but only succeeded in making the image purple and glitched. I am ready to investigate, make changes in code and recompile if needed.

DeafEyeJedi

Nice one @Ilia3101!  8) Please do share your experiment w the SD slot replacement when it comes. Exciting times are ahead for you!

Good catch on the UHD 1:1 mode not being centered. Have you tried using @Danne's recent update on his Bitbucket download page yet?

70MM13

yes, Ilia, definitely share your experience with your camera repair!

it would definitely be great to use both slots while filming to get more captured!  long overdue!  overclocking the slots would be nice too ;)

good luck with your camera!

timbytheriver

I've been experimenting with different build sources for my Q-iso menu (AKA 'TNT' build) https://bitbucket.org/rivertim/magic-lantern-danneclone/downloads/ because I want to nail down my hunch that there are subtle exposure differences between modes – and builds itself. Have typically used: an old @a1ex build from Dec17, iso-research build, and various @Danne's with success.

Yesterday I tried the most recent crop_rec_4k from the 'Downloads' page on the ML site. 22Jul2018. There appear to be some issues with this build:

1) Laggy response shifting through main/sub menus.
2) Top half of LiveView often fills with pink 'mist' – looks like preamps settling (without any 'regs' enabled). This can suddenly fade. Or it can persist and record into the file. Haven't seen this before.

Anyone have any suggestions on which recent build from this branch is a better bet?

Many thanks.

PS Should I be looking to this page for clues? https://builds.magiclantern.fm/jenkins/view/Experiments/job/crop_rec_4k/changes
5D3 1.1.3
5D2 2.1.2

jzzzyang

Is it posible to have 1920X804 60P in the RAW video mode, not the crop mode.
The 1.67 strech blurs the image a lot.
I use 5DIII 1.13 and magiclantern-crop_rec_4k.2018Jul22.5D3113 build by the way.

mineralof

Is it possible to get ML-preview (half-press) to work on an external monitor and how?

DaRealTurbo

theBilalFakhouri

Quote from: Levas on September 13, 2018, 05:35:04 PM
Tell us, can you get 75 fps, 100? :D

Nope, but 74 FPS @ 1736x390 --> 1736x650 after 1.67 correction, of course on 700D :D

74-FPS-on-700-D" border="0

The Timer:
(Slowed Down from 74 FPS to 23.976 FPS)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HR3vo1qh-mw

The settings are done in 720p60 , I turned off adtg_gui then adjusted the settings in photo mode, after that I turned on adtg_gui and went to video mode again, to avoid crashes when overriding the resolution
C0F06804   0x1a701d4
C0F06014   0x332
C0F0713C   0x1a8

I used mlv_rec instead of mlv_lite, the ML preview didn't work with mlv_lite when adtg_gui is loaded, memory error.

I noticed some hiccups in this preset, it might be fixable with C0F0713C, the LiveView is frozen but the camera didn't crash, I guess  applying lower resolution and higher FPS at the same time will prevent the camera from crashing, the higher FPS is giving more data to LiveView to feed it to make up for the decreasing of data when lowering the resolution ?

I also managed to get working 78.607 FPS preset at 1728x186, I can get 80 FPS also at above settings but the camera is very slow at 80 FPS, can't start the recording, and if I applied 80 FPS in the working 78.607 FPS preset, as soon as the recording starts, the camera will crash.

Working 78.607 FPS preset
C0F06804   0xd701d4
C0F06014   0x302
C0F0713C   0xd8

Note: 6D has DIGIC 5+ processor and higher Memory, 700D has slower DIGIC 5 processor with less memory, this might be the cause that 6D Can handle up to 96 FPS easier than 700D.

Didn't play harder with more higher FPS, also didn't try to decrease Horizontal resolution, I am not planning to fine-tune or get a higher stable FPS preset, since the Camera is Very Slow and these higher FPS mods unusable.

It's just Proof of Concept.

Have fun on other cams :D