crop_rec on steroids: 3K, 4K, 1080p48, full-resolution LiveView

Started by a1ex, April 01, 2017, 11:15:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy kh

Quote from: unfilmde on November 14, 2019, 07:40:02 PM
Doesn't really answer my question.  For those who are using it.  Is it pretty stable. 

its stable 
Quote from: unfilmde on November 14, 2019, 07:40:02 PM
Can I switch over to the 4K version and stop using the 'regular' RAW version? 
edit: i dont think you should stop using the regular RAW version i hope you mean nightly build. you can switch over from time to time however i have stopped using the nightly build
5D Mark III - 70D

unfilmde

Thanks.  I'm not using the nightly build I'm just using the Last full released ML RAW version.  I'll give the 4K a try.

So you're using the 4K version full time?

Dmytro_ua

5d3 1.2.3 | Canon 16-35 4.0L | Canon 50 1.4 | Canon 100mm 2.8 macro
Ronin-S | Feelworld F6 PLUS

garry23

I hope one of the friendly ( :D) video experts can throw a little education/insight my way.

Now that I have access to MLV App to experiment with non-ND Long Exposure still photography, I wish to see what (shutterless) FF (MLV wrapped) Silent can do.

Currently, I can take x cr2s and bring them into MLV App for processing down to an 'averaged' single DNG. Great.

I see the other route, and I hope the better one, is is to create an MLV FF silent.

I see the exposure as being anything between, say, a 1/2s to 10s, as an example.

Framerate is not that important, but frame to frame 'gap' should be minimised.

The 4K raw video recording; lossless compression experimental branch has a Full-resolution LiveView: 5796x3870 at 7.4 fps (128ms rolling shutter).

But, as some know, I find all this video stuff/talk a little confusing  ::)

By question is, if I wish to create a FF silent MLV, that I can post process in MLV App, ie to simulate an LE image, what modules and settings should I best use?

Once I have proven to basic idea works, I intend to write an LE Lua script to allow LE (simulated) images, ie without having access to the correct ND. This approach should allow me to dial in an LE time I want, albeit at the cost of creating a (large) MLV for processing (which with card sizes these days is not an issue).

Bottom line: as the coding experts progress, I wish to start developing workflow and scripts in parallel. I hope I can get some insight, as I say, I do stills  :D

garry23

...just to add to my last post.

'Randomly' playing about I seem to be able to take an MLV with full res, ie silent, but how do I fix the shutter to what I want, eg 1s.

I can't get longer than 1/60s.

:'( ::) ??? :o :(

garry23

Ok I think I'll give up for now.

Despite reading many posts, because I'm not use video, I can't seem to achieve what I'm after, namely:

- long shutter, say, 1s
- FPS override on to account for the shutter speed
- capture Full Res LV in an MLV wrapper

I don't even know if this is possible.

a1ex

1) FPS override to 1 FPS, low light
2) reply #85, paragraph #2

Caveats:
- FPS override doesn't play nice with crop_rec, but the low light preset appears to work, to some extent
- camera is fairly unresponsive at this low frame rate - you need some patience
- the full-range shutter doesn't seem to work with FPS override, but can be tricked if you also enable expo override (set exposure time to 1/25 via expo override, and afterwards enable FPS override and crop_rec)
- if anything goes wrong, MENU twice to refresh LiveView.

Quote from: garry23 on November 17, 2019, 02:47:13 PM
...just to add to my last post.

There's an Edit button, available for this purpose ;)

garry23

@a1ex

I truly thank you for your reply/reminder.

I've tried playing with the settings (5D3) but get errors, eg card/memory related, plus can't work out how, say, to set the shutter I need, ie 0.5s shutter captured at 1FPS.

BTW do I need a super fast card if I'm only doing low FPS capture?

When I go into video mode, having put crop_rec to FLV, I can't set the shutter to anything longer than 1/60.

I need to spend some time trying to understand all the 'video stuff'  ;)

Cheers

Garry

a1ex

QuoteWhen I go into video mode, having put crop_rec to FLV, I can't set the shutter to anything longer than 1/60.

You need to read it from ML interface, not from Canon's; we don't change their numbers. Also, you might be in 720p50/60; while this should also work, it's generally a better idea to avoid extreme overrides, i.e. stick to 1080p if you don't need the higher frame rates.

In 1080p25 with FPS override to 1 second, I've got 0.5" mapped to 1/50. ML tries to remap the available shutter range in movie mode (1/33 ... 1/4000) to 1/FPS ... fastest_shutter (source), but - for some reason - it remapped 1/33 to 0.7" or 0.8" instead of 1" in my tests; likely caused by conflicts between crop_rec and FPS override. With FPS override turned off, shutter speed mapping appears to work as expected.

garry23

@a1ex

Once again, thanks for taking time to (re)educate me.

I've two developments underway at the moment.

I'm rewriting my Tilt Shift script's UI, but need to work out how to clear my drawing stuff each refresh, ie as I move lines around on the screen.

The hardest is to clear each line, ie with a transparent version, before drawing the line in the new location. Obviously I use the draw function.

If a use display.clear, the ML menus flash on and off, which surprised me.

I could also use display.rect, with a transparent colour and limited to my drawing areas.

The other project I have is the idea of getting an LE shutterless mlv workflow up and running.

Once again, thanks for your support.

Cheers

Garry

garry23

Ok education failing and my experimentation is driving me insane.

I've put my 5D3 in canon 1080 mode.

I set the shutter to 0.5s in ML.

I set FPS override to 1.

I switch on raw video MLV and touch nothing.

I switch crop mode to flv.

I wait for the screen to stabilise, showing a cropped pink image.

In video mode I press play and get the error message "failed to set up. Card/ram full.

The card is not full.

I'm still not getting it, ie how to record an flv mlv at, say, 1FPS and a shutter of 0.5s.

Any hints from a kind video-savvy person, to put this humble stills photographer out of his misery.

Cheers

Garry

Danne

Did you test what is actually working? Seems you are pushing the limits.
Try and find the full range option in crop rec and enable that. I don't movie mode can have lower shutter than fps override. Ie 12 fps equals 1/12 shutter.

garry23

@Danne

I think I've followed guidance from elsewhere.

As I say, my objective is to get an MLV FLV at, say, 1-2 FPS, with a shutter up to, say, 0.3-0.5 sec, according to FPS.

I did set FLV in crop  ;)

Danne

Works here so just put up a screen recording of what you do so we can follow your steps more clearly.
Did you set shutter range to full range?

garry23

@Danne

Here are screen shots of my set up:

And here are a couple of images of the screen taken with my iPad:

Danne

I don't see anything wrong. I assume full range is set or else search for it.
You migh want to enable framing preview and read at the bottom when enabled.
Good luck.

garry23

@Danne

Thanks for the reassurance.

BTW, yes I had full range set.

Oh well.

DeafEyeJedi

@garry23 -- just to be sure we're all on the same page you are using @Danne's latest experimental build from his bitbucket page, correct?
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

garry23

DeafEyeJedi

Ah, please use @Danne's builds whenever you can. It's been doing wonders!

No matter how bleeding edge it seems, it's just as stable if not better.  8)

https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern/downloads/
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

garry23

@DeafEyeJedi

Many thanks for the heads up.

BTW do you recommend a 5D3 version from the download page.

Cheers

Garry

Danne

I did some tweaking to get pass some bugs. The more severe one sometimes happening around power timing registry.
Other than that some half finished presets like anamorphic and in higher fps. Didn't touch flv preset and I expect whatever issue you are having will be the same in my build but who knows...

garry23

@Danne

I did have a look, but things are just going down hill.

The build I downloaded didn't appear to have MLV 2, so I used MLV lite that comes with the build.

This time, I can't seem to change the shutter :-(

I'll give it a rest for a while.

Pity, I was really looking forward to nailing an MLV LE workflow.

Oh well, such is life.

BTW went back to the experimental build on the ML download page and, yes, still get the card/ram full error  :(

garry23

It's the weekend and I'm going to have another go to see if I can get 4K FLV up and running on my 5D3.

I'm sure it's operator trouble, but I can't see where I'm going wrong or why I get the card/ram full error message, ie the card is not full.

Has anyone else seen this error message?

Cheers

Garry

a1ex

Quote from: a1ex on November 18, 2019, 10:11:17 AM
2) reply #85, paragraph #2

Quote from: garry23 on April 04, 2017, 01:47:28 PM
In particular, how do I set up, run and process the full Res 'photo mode'. Once I know how to get things running, I can test.

Quote from: a1ex on April 04, 2017, 06:25:18 PM
Continuous full-res recording at 4-5 FPS:
- crop_rec.mo, mlv_lite.mo
- crop mode: full-res LV; raw recording: max resolution, lossless compression
- FPS override: 4 or 5 FPS, low light (important)
- press record
- mlv_dump foobar.mlv --dng

Quote from: garry23 on November 20, 2019, 06:37:34 PM
Here are screen shots of my set up:

When all else fails, try following the instructions...

If you are wondering, I did test this scenario before posting, starting from a fresh config of both Canon and ML (fresh installation, default settings). I didn't have to change anything else.

If these instructions are not clear, first post contains a video tutorial.