crop_rec on steroids: 3K, 4K, 1080p48, full-resolution LiveView

Started by a1ex, April 01, 2017, 11:15:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

a1ex

Quote from: tigerbengal2009 on March 31, 2018, 10:33:57 AM
If I press the magnify  button one time, 5x, the video is no longer 59.940 (60p) it changes to 29.776 (30p) is that normal? or is anything else I have to change to get the 60p when I am in 5x?

The x5 mode is only affected by the x5 preset in crop_rec; all the others operate on regular (non-zoomed) modes. By default (even with vanilla Canon firmware), the x5 zoom mode operates at 29.776 FPS on 5D3 (not to be confused with 29.970 aka 30p) and captures a 3.5K wide image (YMMV on other models). Only a small part gets displayed on the screen, but the entire frame can be recorded.

The x5 preset will override the FPS in x5 to 24/25/30p, as selected in Canon menu, for convenience, but that won't give you 3.5K at 60 FPS.

The "1920 1:1 tall" preset also operates on 50/60p - you may be looking for that.

whysodifficult

Hm, i set shutter speed at 60, but on footage it's always 51. When set 30, it's also lower. Is this a familiar problem? 5DM3, 3-3,5k crop

Quentin

Its 1st of April. The Front Image of ML website shows a broken camera :(
I guess we will have news soon

jimiz

5D3-123

X-RAY

So, is there something to talk about today?  ???
In any case, happy birthday! :-D
www.frankenfotograf.com
instagram.com/frankenfotograf

tigerbengal2009

Hi A1ex, thank you for your response, at first I didn't understand what you mean about using the 1920 1:1 tall, but after trying it , the look is close to the x5, thanks for the advice.

My main goal is to record 1920x800 at 60p, and for some reason I can only have 14 seconds  of recording. Using all the settings recommended
-5d Mark III firmware 1.1.3
-Canon Menu: 1280x720 60fps ALL-I
-RAW Video: On, 1920x800, 16:9, 14 bit loss less, preview: Real-time
-crop mode 1920 50/60 3x3
-fps override : OFF
-iso: 100
-vutowb
-Shutter 1/130
-USING a fast card lexar 1066x 64gb

ML Main menu said you can record continuously.

I only want to be able to record 1 minute but what  am I doing wrong???? Hope you can point me in the right direction, thanks A1ex

Quote from: a1ex on March 31, 2018, 11:01:10 AM
The x5 mode is only affected by the x5 preset in crop_rec; all the others operate on regular (non-zoomed) modes. By default (even with vanilla Canon firmware), the x5 zoom mode operates at 29.776 FPS on 5D3 (not to be confused with 29.970 aka 30p) and captures a 3.5K wide image (YMMV on other models). Only a small part gets displayed on the screen, but the entire frame can be recorded.

The x5 preset will override the FPS in x5 to 24/25/30p, as selected in Canon menu, for convenience, but that won't give you 3.5K at 60 FPS.

The "1920 1:1 tall" preset also operates on 50/60p - you may be looking for that.

a1ex

Quote from: jimiz on April 01, 2018, 08:59:56 AM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY "3,5 K" ML !!!!!    ;) :D

Quote from: tigerbengal2009 on April 01, 2018, 09:53:14 PM
preview: Real-time

First post recommends something else (real-time uses too much CPU), though I might have something that will help (check twitter).

tigerbengal2009

yes I changed preview to Frozen LV, same thing a few seconds as before.

OK I'll wait for twitter post.

By the way Happy Birthday ML 4K...Thank you very much A1ex and all the great people who made possible this awesome feature for the 5d Mark III !!!

Quote from: a1ex on April 01, 2018, 10:02:51 PM

First post recommends something else (real-time uses too much CPU), though I might have something that will help (check twitter).

hjfilmspeed

So I absolutely love MLV Lite and the Crop rec 4k module. So many awesome things in the newest build. I had a couple of thoughts.
It would be awesome to be able to get into our favorite crop rec 4k mlv lite settings faster like custom presets. Presests specific to MLV lite and crop rec 4K.

Ex: on 5D3 I use 3k x5 mode so if I went into my hypothetical module I would pick 3k and my settings would come up
2.35:1
Canon 1920x1080 23.976
x5 zoom
canon zoom enabled
1/50 shutter
12bit lossless
framing
sound on
all gets chosen.

Or my 60fps option:
2.35:1 (1920x800)
60fps
Canon 1280 60p mode
1/125 shutter
10bit uncompressed
Real time live view
No sound
All gets chosen.

I threw the shutter option in there because it's just one more step we don't have to take if we are trying to stick with a certain shutter degree ex 180° shutter.

That way we can get in and out of our favorite crop rec 4k MLV lite settings faster when doing some run and gun.

Also it's real tricky monitoring in the framing modes. I see how they help with write speed and its incredible that we even get framing period but I would love to be able to contribute to better live view. Especially for the less intensive settings.

I realize NONE OF THIS IS AND EASY TASK. And I am sure most of this has been mentioned. I am sorry for my brain storming but I thought I would throw it out there. I'm just a humble tester and user so take this all as a grain of salt. I am overjoyed with 1920x1080 24fps RAW with sound and fast start by itself. Just contributing my thoughts.

a1ex

Should be doable with Lua scripts. Save these under ML/SCRIPTS:

5x.lua

-- 3K 24p x5 with sound

-- close ML menu to get into LiveView
menu.close()

-- change settings from ML menu
menu.set("Movie", "Crop mode", "3.5K 1:1 centered x5")
menu.set("Movie", "RAW video", "ON")
menu.set("Movie", "FPS override", "OFF")
menu.set("RAW video", "Aspect ratio", "2.35:1")
menu.set("RAW video", "Data format", "12-bit lossless")
menu.set("RAW video", "Preview", "Framing")
menu.set("Sound recording", "Enable sound", "ON")
menu.set("Overlay", "Global Draw", "ON, all modes")
menu.set("Display", "Clear overlays", "OFF")
-- etc

-- FIXME: user needs to switch to 1080p24 from Canon menu
lv.zoom = 1

while menu.get("FPS override", "Actual FPS", "") ~= "23.976" or not camera.gui.idle do
   display.notify_box("Please switch to 1080p24 from Canon menu.")
   msleep(500)
end

-- ready to enter x5 crop mode
lv.zoom = 5

-- finally set the resolution
-- fixme: doesn't seem to work if you have fine-tuned it
menu.set("RAW video", "Resolution", 3072)

-- finished!
display.notify_box(string.format(
        "Ready!\n%s %s",
        menu.get("RAW video", "Resolution", ""),
        menu.get("FPS override", "Actual FPS", "")
    ),
)

60p.lua

-- 1920x800 60p, no sound

menu.close()

menu.set("Movie", "Crop mode", "1920 50/60 3x3")
menu.set("RAW video", "Data format", "10-bit")
menu.set("RAW video", "Preview", "Real-time")
menu.set("Sound recording", "Enable sound", "OFF")
menu.set("Display", "Clear overlays", "Recording")
-- etc

-- close x5 zoom, should it happen to be enabled
lv.zoom = 1

-- FIXME: user needs to switch to 720p60 from Canon menu
while menu.get("FPS override", "Actual FPS", "") ~= "59.940" or not camera.gui.idle do
   display.notify_box("Please switch to 720p60 from Canon menu.")
   msleep(500)
end

menu.set("RAW video", "Resolution", 1920)

-- finished!
        "Ready!\n%s %s",
    ),
)

Was it hard? You can customize pretty much any ML settings. You can assign these presets to hotkeys or create custom menus, too. See the Lua API for more.

The only rough edges were:
- When switching the video setting in Canon menu, which is not available to Lua. A long time ago, ML had the option to switch video modes from code... until I've got a corrupted H.264 (fixable by clearing Canon settings). Maybe worth a second look, after understanding how these settings are changed.
- With the dynamic raw video resolution menu (doesn't seem to work well if you have fine-tuned it to some value not in the pickbox)

Tip: use these often enough and they will appear in the Recent (star) menu.

BTW, why did you choose 10-bit uncompressed (70%) over 14-bit lossless (50-65%) for 60p? Are you shooting at ISO 6400+ ?

hjfilmspeed

So So So Awesome! I need to try scripting. I have been using ML for to long not to try scripts

Quote from: a1ex on April 04, 2018, 03:02:29 PM
BTW, why did you choose 10-bit uncompressed (70%) over 14-bit lossless (50-65%) for 60p? Are you shooting at ISO 6400+ ?

I had some issues when shooting in 14 bit lossless at ISO 100 when shooting up at the trees on overcast day. Using March 10 2018 build 5d3 113.

Can shutter speed be changed with Lua too? 1/125 with 60 or 1/50 for 23.976?

a1ex

That might be a bit too verbose, but works:

camera.shutter = 1/50

See also Bracketing with flash (another simple example).

Danne

Thanks for easy to follow lua examples. A piece here and there helps moving forward.

hjfilmspeed

Modifying a lua script from a1ex... this is a proud day for me especially since it worked. Thank you thank you thank you for scripting this a1ex!!!

These have shutter speed changes depending on frame rate. The shutter change has to be put after the frame rate change otherwise you will crash the script since the canon wont allow you to use a shutter lower then 1/60 in a 60p mode.

Check this before you use because I KNOW nothing about ML code but I was able to quickly toggle between 1920 2.35:1 24fps and 1920x800 60fps. Much faster. I assume this will only work in manual mode since shutter speed is being modified.
-- 1920x800 60p, no sound

menu.close()

menu.set("Movie", "Crop mode", "1920 50/60 3x3")
menu.set("RAW video", "Data format", "10-bit")
menu.set("Sound recording", "Enable sound", "OFF")
menu.set("Display", "Clear overlays", "Recording")
-- etc

lv.zoom = 1

-- FIXME: user needs to switch to 720p60 from Canon menu
while menu.get("FPS override", "Actual FPS", "") ~= "59.940" or not camera.gui.idle do
   display.notify_box("Please switch to 720p60 from Canon menu.")
   msleep(500)
end

camera.shutter = 1/125

-- finished!
        "Ready!\n%s %s",
    ),
)

-- 1920x818 24p with sound

menu.close()

menu.set("Movie", "Crop mode", "OFF")
menu.set("RAW video", "Data format", "12-bit")
menu.set("Sound recording", "Enable sound", "ON")
menu.set("Display", "Clear overlays", "OFF")
-- etc

-- FIXME: user needs to switch to 1080p24 from Canon menu
lv.zoom = 1

lv.zoom = 1

while menu.get("FPS override", "Actual FPS", "") ~= "23.976" or not camera.gui.idle do
   display.notify_box("Please switch to 1080p24 from Canon menu.")
   msleep(500)
end

camera.shutter = 1/50

-- finished!
        "Ready!\n%s %s",
    ),
)

Definitely triple check these before using ha ha warning I stink at this it might break your cam ha ha.

drew.a

I'm running into an error when I try to load multiple modules on crop_rec_4k builds.

The error initially showed up on the magiclantern-crop_rec_4k.2017Sep06.5D3123 build, which I had installed on the SD card and was working previously. 

Here is an image of the error I'm getting when trying to load multiple modules:

I've tried:
-Deleting all ML folders/files and replacing them on the SD card
-Deleting all ML folders/files, formatting card, copying latest build (magiclantern-crop_rec_4k.2018Mar10.5D3123) to SD card
I still get the same error when loading modules.

I can install and run the following builds with no errors:
magiclantern-Nightly.2018Feb04.5D3123
magiclantern-crop_rec_4k.2017Jun19.5D3123 (does not contain the MLV raw 2.0 module)

I've tried searching for a solution and haven't found anything that worked. Any help on this would be appreciated.

jimiz

something is change with mods on crop rek 4k versions...
look and read circa here...

https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=19300.msg197822#msg197822

meaby is that your problem...like me and anothers guy  ,  time ago...
5D3-123

drew.a

Quote from: jimiz on April 26, 2018, 01:44:30 PM
something is change with mods on crop rek 4k versions...
look and read circa here...

https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=19300.msg197822#msg197822

meaby is that your problem...like me and anothers guy  ,  time ago...

Thanks! Hard to keep up with the changes.  What's strange to me is that the build I was using worked previously and then stopped working. 

Sganzerla

I don't know if this discussion should be here but I've found that I have some issues making 4:3 recordings.
Tried with 1440x1080px and 1712x1284px - I'm not interested in the anamorphic use, more a creative style

With 1440x1080px it is possible to record with a 4:3 aspect ratio and get realtime preview but you need to press half the shutter and mantain it pressed (the crop window goes away when recording, you can only see a full 16:9 image). Not perfect but it is possible to use tape to cover the sides in the worst case scenario.

With higher resolution (1728x1290px for example) we can press half the shutter and get a realtime preview of the image but as soon as you hit record and press the shutter, it changes the real aspect preview to a croped one, wide aspect, not very useful at all. And this extra resolution (above 1440x1080px) would be very welcome.

Both working in non crop mode. I understand that in croped mode the real time preview would be not possible, and I understand the limitation of 1032px (maximum height resolution) with slow motion recording too.

Is possible to solve this?
I understand this mode is more for a anamorphic use than the one I intend to make, but...

a1ex

Reproduced. ML uses some heuristics to pick between real-time and framing-accurate preview, and looks like you have found some cases where the automatic choice is not the best.

However, this is just the default behavior; you can customize it from the raw video submenu. Should the option be renamed or moved to make it more obvious?

Half-shutter is meant for quick (temporary) changes in preview; you don't have to keep it pressed. If you have to do that, you may want to look in the menu.

1032px - how did you get this value? On 5D3, the closest limit is 1040px at 48 FPS (overridable from menu).

eraizgn

Quote from: hjfilmspeed on April 04, 2018, 03:22:04 AM
So I absolutely love MLV Lite and the Crop rec 4k module. So many awesome things in the newest build. I had a couple of thoughts.
It would be awesome to be able to get into our favorite crop rec 4k mlv lite settings faster like custom presets. Presests specific to MLV lite and crop rec 4K.

Ex: on 5D3 I use 3k x5 mode so if I went into my hypothetical module I would pick 3k and my settings would come up
2.35:1
Canon 1920x1080 23.976
x5 zoom
canon zoom enabled
1/50 shutter
12bit lossless
framing
sound on
all gets chosen.

Or my 60fps option:
2.35:1 (1920x800)
60fps
Canon 1280 60p mode
1/125 shutter
10bit uncompressed
Real time live view
No sound
All gets chosen.

I threw the shutter option in there because it's just one more step we don't have to take if we are trying to stick with a certain shutter degree ex 180° shutter.

That way we can get in and out of our favorite crop rec 4k MLV lite settings faster when doing some run and gun.

Also it's real tricky monitoring in the framing modes. I see how they help with write speed and its incredible that we even get framing period but I would love to be able to contribute to better live view. Especially for the less intensive settings.

I realize NONE OF THIS IS AND EASY TASK. And I am sure most of this has been mentioned. I am sorry for my brain storming but I thought I would throw it out there. I'm just a humble tester and user so take this all as a grain of salt. I am overjoyed with 1920x1080 24fps RAW with sound and fast start by itself. Just contributing my thoughts.

Which CF card are you using? What would you recommend to use?

Sganzerla

Quote from: a1ex on April 30, 2018, 09:28:50 AM
Reproduced. ML uses some heuristics to pick between real-time and framing-accurate preview, and looks like you have found some cases where the automatic choice is not the best.
However, this is just the default behavior; you can customize it from the raw video submenu. Should the option be renamed or moved to make it more obvious?

I don't know if I understand que question because English is not my native language and I don't know if I could understand this context very well, but from the two options I think 'renamed' would be my choice.

Half-shutter is meant for quick (temporary) changes in preview; you don't have to keep it pressed. If you have to do that, you may want to look in the menu.
Will take a better look at the menu to see what I'm missing...

1032px - how did you get this value? On 5D3, the closest limit is 1040px at 48 FPS (overridable from menu).
With slow motion you will only get the real 4:3 aspect if you lower the height pixel dimension to 1032px so you can use 1376px at the larger side. With 1040px it is very close to 4:3 but does not have the perfect aspect ratio.

Thanks for the inputs, a1ex!

vstrglv

May be I missed something.
After 1 or two or three minutes recording stops with a message: Emergency stop. Movie recording has been stopped automatically. Timer icon is green.
Mark5D3 1.1.3.; magiclantern-crop_rec_4k.2018Mar10.5D3113 crop_rec, ettr, file_man, mlv_lite, mlv_play, mlv_snd, pic_view, raw_twk, silent – on; LV DIGIC peaking- Slightly Sharper, LV brightness- Normal; Global Draw- ON, all modes, Histogram- RAW RGB,Log; Auto ETTR- Press SET; RAW video- ON, 1920x1080, 12-bit lossless, Preview- Auto, H.264proxy- ON, Sound recording- off;
If H.264proxy- off - no problem (Sound recording- ON)
Canon 5D3,1.1.3; Canon EOS M,202,  CF-SanDisk Extreme PRO,160MB/s, 256GB, SD-SanDisk Extreme Pro, 170MB/s, 128GB.

a1ex

That message appears when the H.264 buffer becomes full. Are you recording both RAW and H.264 on the same card? If yes, try recording H.264 to SD.

vstrglv

No, different cards.
Corrected:

You are right Alex, as usual.  I am very sorry. RAW and H.264 were recoded on CF. I do not know why. I did not change settings for cards. Playback card is CF and play separately in Canon menu. ML menu- Card setting - Preferred card-off. Every time I used these settings and RAW and H.264 recorded on two cards. But now they are recorded on CF both.
Canon 5D3,1.1.3; Canon EOS M,202,  CF-SanDisk Extreme PRO,160MB/s, 256GB, SD-SanDisk Extreme Pro, 170MB/s, 128GB.

vstrglv