crop_rec on steroids: 3K, 4K, 1080p48, full-resolution LiveView

Started by a1ex, April 01, 2017, 11:15:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

darko-a7

Hi everyone, I am sorry for being little intrusive, but I have posted a question at the Canon T2i/550D forum here, but no one is answering.

As this question is most likely related to crop module (and this version is built on top of it with RAW support), can someone from here answer me the simple question: can we use this module on EOS 550D and achieve ~ same 3x crop mode as it is possible with stock firmware on EOS 600D ? Is the compiled module version 'stable' enough on 550D model?

Many thanks!
Regards

edit: a1ex answered my question here:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=13111.msg193772#msg193772

OlRivrRat

@Smasry

Is it possible that this is an FPS Override Issue & Not a corp_rec Issue ?

ORR ~ DeanB
ORR~DeanB  ~~  80D-ML  &  SL1+ML  &  5D2+ML  &  5DC+ML  &  70D+ML(AliveAgain)

a1ex

Quite likely - finding a way to reproduce should clear the mystery.

smasry

@OlRivrRat it's possible; without bumping into it again (and again), and working out the common factor triggering it, I just can't say.

As you can see, the damage to the frame is huge in the full-res LiveView, and extensive on the 3.5k one. I'll leave this be until I have more time to play with combinations of settings, with 'exotic' fps choices! If something similar comes up again, I'll report back.

Thanks all.

anDyIII

I have to report a bug.
On the 5D Mk III 1.1.3 with the latest 4K raw video recording build from October 28, if crop mode 1920 50/60 is set together with 1920 25 ALL-I video mode, FPS override menu works.
But if you set that crop mode together with 1280 50 ALL-I video mode, as soon as you enter the FPS override menu, the camera freezes and you have to remove the battey.
I can replicate this issue as many times as I want.
5D Mark III
www.facebook.com/groups/magiclanternitalia/
www.andreacasanova.eu

RTI

Quote from: anDyIII on December 04, 2017, 12:23:04 AM
But if you set that crop mode together with 1280 50 ALL-I video mode, as soon as you enter the FPS override menu, the camera freezes and you have to remove the battey.
I can replicate this issue as many times as I want.

Can confirm that too, but only if you have "exact FPS" selected.
And another issue, at least for me, can't shoot 48p - I get errors.
Canon 5DIII| Sigma 35/1.4|T 24-70/2.8 VC| Tamron 70-200/2.8 VC USD

sm105

I'm finally trying out the new crop_rec advancemens introduced earlier this year, but I can't seem to set the 1920x960 @50fps mode.

I'm running firmware 1.2.3 with the 12.19.2017 build. I've set the video mode to 1280/60p in the Canon menu, and enabled the crop_rec and mlv_lite modules. Crop mode in ML is set at 1920 50/60, but I can't set the resolution above 1920x800. Changing the aspect ratio and FPS override have no effect. I must be missing something simple and would appreciate any help...

Walter Schulz

Try changing "Video system" from NTSC to PAL. Setting is located in Canon menu.

sm105

Quote from: Walter Schulz on December 23, 2017, 11:20:25 AM
Try changing "Video system" from NTSC to PAL. Setting is located in Canon menu.

That worked perfectly. Thanks!

banertop

Hi guys,

sorry if it was asked before,.....could not find it.....

Using Experimental build from september,... 5d iii,... firm 1.1.3,... cf Lexar 128gb 1066x

My two question are about using 3k mode

1. In 3k (1:1) mode, i can get 4 sec at 3072x1728. Is that the maximum right now, or i am doing something wrong? (my fps override is set at low light)

2.Is it possible to enable canons live view during shooting? When i try it (pressing info button) it becomes glitchy ) Only i can get is preview in global draw, that becomes unusable once i hit record button. Any way to get usable preview while recording in 3k mode, even black and white....?

Thank you for your time, guys

goldenchild9to5

@banertop The reason why you probably getting on 4 seconds of recording it might be that your using 14bit, and not 14bit Lossless, or 12bit Lossless ect.. When recording in 3K mode LiveView is in greyscale, and laggy that's normal, you just have to get use to it, or use and external monitor but you have to upgrade to 1.2.3.  A little trick that I've been using is while recording or before recording I press the info button on the camera which gives me a zoomed in image but it's clean and Live.  I can focus properly that way.   

IDA_ML

Try underexposing your scene by one stop or so.  This should increase your record times substantially.

banertop

Thank you guys....

But, I am shooting 12 bit or 14 bit lossless...no 14 bit, and still get only 4 sec....

When i am shooting in 3.5k mode i get 3.5k continuously....

In all other modes i get continuously resolutions that are the maximum resolutions for continuously recording......but only in 3k mode i have the problem......4 sec....

About preview....i know about info button trick.....but (in 3k mode) if i press info button i get black screen with some color dots or stripes....like glitch effect.....so, i can not use info while recording.......In other modes, like 3.5k, i can use info button for zoomed preview while recording.....

dfort

Quote from: banertop on December 25, 2017, 12:33:45 PM
(my fps override is set at low light)

Why? I never used lossless combined with low light. What framerate are you using? Have you tried Exact or even turn it off?

banertop

Well,....when i set exact, i dont have any preview......everything is black, with color dots and stripes or stratches, but, when i set fps to low light, i got preview in global draw.......
If i press info, it still stays black screen with that dots (like glitch).....Thats why....just to get any kind of preview in 3k mode....

Again, it only happens in 3k (1:1) mode

Danne

banertop

Yes, set in fps override.....

In general, that 3k mode is like mystery to me>)....no preview....strange glitch screen....

When i turn to low light (fps override) i get global draw preview.....before that, if i try to record, i get "raw error" message

After i set it to low light, i could record.....but only 4sec in 3072x1728

banertop

Or maybe, if someone want to share his settings for shutting in 3k mode....

Because, there are many "turn this on", or "turn this off" things.....so it is going to be easier to understand what i am doing wrong.....

Of course, if someone have time...

Thanks for help, guys

hjfilmspeed

Quote from: banertop on December 29, 2017, 04:15:55 PM
Or maybe, if someone want to share his settings for shutting in 3k mode...
This video needs small updates but it should still get you 3k continuous. It's also on page one of this topic.

PM me if you need more 3k tips

RTI

Quote from: hjfilmspeed on December 29, 2017, 07:16:59 PM
This video needs small updates but it should still get you 3k continuous. It's also on page one of this topic.

The quide is very helpful, but I think the question was about the 3k 1:1 mode from the crop rec module. The video describes 3.5K where you have to punch in.

banertop

Yes RTI, thank you, you are right....

This video is great, and helps a lot.......but it is all about 3.5kmode, witch i do not have problem with.....

Problem is with 3k mode....

1. How to get more then 4 sec in 3072x1728
2. how to get preview usable during shooting,in 3.5k mode with pressing info i get preview while recording.....how to do the same in 3k mode....because, when press info button, i get black screen with color dots, stripes....

thanks for your time

RTI

Quote from: banertop on December 29, 2017, 09:08:55 PM
Yes RTI, thank you, you are right....

This video is great, and helps a lot.......but it is all about 3.5kmode, witch i do not have problem with.....

Problem is with 3k mode....

1. How to get more then 4 sec in 3072x1728
2. how to get preview usable during shooting,in 3.5k mode with pressing info i get preview while recording.....how to do the same in 3k mode....because, when press info button, i get black screen with color dots, stripes....

thanks for your time

You won't have preview in 3K 1:1 (it's broken, it's even written when you select it in the menu). As for 3.5k 1:1 - it's quite usable. Select "framing" from the menu - this will give you a preview of the real framing, but there's a trick when you half press the shutter button - it will show you the canon real time image, though 5x punched in but it's very useful to check your focus.

banertop

"but there's a trick when you half press the shutter button - it will show you the canon real time image, though 5x punched in but it's very useful to check your focus."

Do you think about 3.5 or 3k mode?

It was confusing, because one of previews guys said that he press info button to get canon zoomed preview in 3k mode, but i can not get it...

So, half press shutter button is trick for 3k or 3.5k mode (preview with info button works for me in 3,5 mode, to)