crop_rec on steroids: 3K, 4K, 1080p48, full-resolution LiveView

Started by a1ex, April 01, 2017, 11:15:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hjfilmspeed

I should probably update the tutorial. I would say try the newest build but make sure you use the newest MLV_Dump too.

budafilms

@MartijnR

Wich lenses are you going to use?
Take in mind the crop factor because it's huge.

lostfeliz

@MartijnR If you're shooting indoors, can't you adjust your lighting in order to lower you ISO. You should get less noise.

MartijnR

@hjfilmspeed Thanks for the advice!

@budafilms Probably Zeiss 35/1.4 or 50/2 (or somewhat wider, 28/2 or 25/2 if the crop requires that), and the 100/2 for the droplet. That the crop factor is huge is a great thing, considering I need to get the droplet as big as possible in my frame. I also tried a reverse ring, but that's a bit too risky with all the water involved. I will soon start to do some testing. Cheers

@lostfeliz Thanks for your reply. I use a very nice lamp (just the one in my bathroom), with great intensity and nice character. For my film idea, I need this lamp, and to replace it with another bulb is actually a bit risky (been broken before). The intensity is more than sufficient for most shots, but when going as close as possible with the 100/2, you loose quite some light, and 1600 iso seems inevitable. I am curious how the imagery will differ with the new crop and lossless 12 bit compaired to the 10 bit nonlossless raw. Thanks.

whysodifficult

Gentlemen, I've been searching everywhere but haven't found instruction on usage of MLV_DUMP on Mac. Can you kindly help me?

I'm using Footage for Mac app, it's good, but whites on video are pink there. I suppose it will not be a problem using MLV_DUMP(?)...

Thank you!

Danne

That could be related to white level settings. What settings are you using in cam? Upload a sample mlv file?
You could develop with cr2hdr.app. It contains latest mlv_dump code. Mlvfs as well. Or mlv_dump binary itself of course.

whysodifficult

Danne

What a beautiful shot. Where is it from?
Usually white balance should be around 15000 but I see yours is at around 5000. Anyway seems a tricky shot, very bright so 15000 won´t work either. I keep a mlv_dump menu section in cr2hdr.app for manually set new white balance and also to create sample file packages so if you want to share a sample instead of the whole 1gb file you could go down the cr2hdr.app route
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=15108.0
Once installed head over to the mlv_dump menu. There is a setting for samples and one for white balance.
You could also share the whole 1gb file if you like.

a1ex

@Danne:

exiftool M30-1836_C0000_00001.dng -WhiteLevel -BlackLevel
White Level                     : 5586
Black Level                     : 2047

(5586-2048)*4 + 2048 = 16200

Which means, this is a 12-bit lossless image - that's how the bit depth reduction works. The container is still 14-bit, but the usable range is restricted to 12 bits, with black level equal to whatever Canon firmware assumes (if it's 2048, that would give a valid range of 1536 ... 5586, which means 4050 levels - just below 4096).

The DNG looks just fine here, without adjusting its metadata. It's overexposed, but the highlights are white.

BTW, white balance != white level.

Danne

I was fooled by the container. Thanks for getting back. Darn good view in that dng and still a lot of dynamic range to pull back but overexposed.

whysodifficult

Danne, Alex,
Thank you! It's Yosemite National Park in California (rock, called Half Dome) a few days ago, i was lucky with a cloudy weather. It was much more beautiful when i drove to that point (Glacier Point), nothing but clouds around and under you and then they slowly started to disappear, you could see clear spots of the valley down there, of rocks around, and i went to parking for my camera but it was too late when i came back :)

I've just opened this DNG in Photoshop and Lightroom and it looks overexposed (so as google drive shows), but earlier i only looked at all photos in LilyView image viewer on Mac, that shows this photo NOT overexposed, it shows the same how i saw the photo on Live View screen on camera, but the whites are pink: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B47FS5gpVSwOS1h3b214UmZILTA/view?usp=sharing

So as Finder app (native file browser in Mac) shows — pink. So as Footage for Mac app shows it in the app — https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B47FS5gpVSwOeHptZmxkNWtGQkU/view?usp=sharing , and how it converts MLV to MOV video — pink. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B47FS5gpVSwONG9WSWlRV3kyUE0/view?usp=sharing
So i didn't even think to open DNG in Photoshop and Lightroom because everywhere else whites are pink.

I read somewhere on this forum, A1ex replied to someone on this pinkness, but i didn't understand that, so i figured that this is the temporarily downside of 3.5K. By the way, i suppose pinkness happens only in high-resolution video (crop mode)... As i recall. Also i thought that this Footage for Mac app doesn't remove this pinkness, but i read somewhere that MLV_dump does. Maybe i got it wrong. But wanted to try.

Maybe over-exposition is my fault during shooting, i'm not a professional photographer or videographer, but that's how i saw it on camera screen.

Adjusting in Lightroom shows that this photo is not fatally overexposed, all details are kept. So i don't know what to think about it (what is the reason):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B47FS5gpVSwOWENZWW5sZU9VV0E/view?usp=sharing

This is the MLV, video is 11 sec of static view, but you can see the clouds are slowly moving:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B47FS5gpVSwOOEpDN19xeXIxM0E/view?usp=sharing

It was 3.5K according to instructions in this thread above from @HJfilmspeed https://vimeo.com/217313287 so it's 12 bits but the Footage app says it's 14 bits.

Thank you.

Danne

Here is a sample package of the 1gb provided from whysodifficult if anybody wants to check.
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern/downloads/M30-1838_samples.zip

The quick look previewer in mac doesn´t get the white balance level at all. See the last example. The other two is how DaVinci resolve and adobe camera raw interprets the dng when opened up in each program.
(Added dcraw -T -w output as well).

DaVinci Resolve

Adobe camera raw

dcraw(tiff)

Quick look previewer

a1ex

@Danne: the white balance looks fine to me in all 3 images. It's the white level tag that's misinterpreted.

Just for kicks: ufraw-mod with highlight recovery in HSV, EC -0.8 (linear) and +1 (soft-film):

Regular rendering (EC 0 without highlight recovery) looks pretty much identical to dcraw.

Danne

Oops, word slip. I corrected my post. Meant white level. Added dcraw tiff output as well.

Danne

Quote from: a1ex on June 09, 2017, 11:18:56 PM
@Danne: the white balance looks fine to me in all 3 images. It's the white level tag that's misinterpreted.

Just for kicks: ufraw-mod with highlight recovery in HSV, EC -0.8 (linear) and +1 (soft-film):

Regular rendering (EC 0 without highlight recovery) looks pretty much identical to dcraw.

Wow, that ufraw mod is doing quite a good job pulling back information. The code should be inside dcraw if you ask me. Seems to be pulling back information better than ACR. Is this possible.

Ex. ACR pulling down highlight recovery and whites to the bottom

dcraw -T -H 2 -w

Teamsleepkid

i noticed this too with the footage for mac app. theres pink all over my footage. not so with cr2hdr...so I've been using that lately.
EOS M

reddeercity

I check out the 3.5k file that @whysodifficult posted on my PC Windows 7 Pro desktop for only WB issue .
I extracted the dng's with the latest mlv_dump.exe from the experimental download page and every thing looks right .

Test_3.5k_5d3_WIN7_FILE_EXPLORER_from_mlv_dump
by RedDeerCityTV, on Flickr

No adjustments , just loaded in to A.E. CS6 PC/Win7 . The WB seems to be 5500K , looks ok to me

Test_3.5k_5d3_A.E.CS6

I was very impressed with the image , I started to push the image around with ACR and the image really pop out .

m30-1838_00000.tiff

I started with "Camera Neutral" & 7250K WB , the .XMP from A.E. is below
I also exported 50Mb Mp4 H264 @ 35Mb/s   link--> https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3rFQHNAb91MQWxGUWNxM05WX2s/view?usp=sharing
I was amazed how much sharpness it could handle , really made the fine detail come out  (very nice)  :D
<x:xmpmeta xmlns:x="adobe:ns:meta/" x:xmptk="Adobe XMP Core 5.3-c007 1.136881, 2010/06/10-18:11:35        ">
<rdf:RDF xmlns:rdf="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#">
  <rdf:Description rdf:about=""
    xmlns:crs="http://ns.adobe.com/camera-raw-settings/1.0/"
   crs:Version="7.0"
   crs:ProcessVersion="6.7"
   crs:WhiteBalance="Custom"
   crs:Temperature="7250"
   crs:Tint="+10"
   crs:Saturation="+44"
   crs:Sharpness="58"
   crs:LuminanceSmoothing="40"
   crs:ColorNoiseReduction="40"
   crs:VignetteAmount="0"
   crs:ShadowTint="0"
   crs:RedHue="0"
   crs:RedSaturation="0"
   crs:GreenHue="0"
   crs:GreenSaturation="0"
   crs:BlueHue="0"
   crs:BlueSaturation="0"
   crs:Vibrance="+11"
   crs:Defringe="0"
   crs:HueAdjustmentRed="+17"
   crs:HueAdjustmentOrange="+30"
   crs:HueAdjustmentYellow="+8"
   crs:HueAdjustmentGreen="0"
   crs:HueAdjustmentAqua="0"
   crs:HueAdjustmentBlue="+1"
   crs:HueAdjustmentPurple="+18"
   crs:HueAdjustmentMagenta="+1"
   crs:SaturationAdjustmentRed="-10"
   crs:SaturationAdjustmentOrange="-6"
   crs:SaturationAdjustmentYellow="+89"
   crs:SaturationAdjustmentGreen="0"
   crs:SaturationAdjustmentAqua="-9"
   crs:SaturationAdjustmentBlue="+13"
   crs:SaturationAdjustmentPurple="-6"
   crs:SaturationAdjustmentMagenta="0"
   crs:LuminanceAdjustmentRed="-43"
   crs:LuminanceAdjustmentOrange="+18"
   crs:LuminanceAdjustmentYellow="+28"
   crs:LuminanceAdjustmentGreen="-4"
   crs:LuminanceAdjustmentAqua="-3"
   crs:LuminanceAdjustmentBlue="-100"
   crs:LuminanceAdjustmentPurple="-8"
   crs:LuminanceAdjustmentMagenta="0"
   crs:SplitToningShadowHue="0"
   crs:SplitToningShadowSaturation="0"
   crs:SplitToningHighlightHue="0"
   crs:SplitToningHighlightSaturation="0"
   crs:SplitToningBalance="0"
   crs:ParametricShadows="-48"
   crs:ParametricDarks="-100"
   crs:ParametricLights="-15"
   crs:ParametricHighlights="-75"
   crs:ParametricShadowSplit="10"
   crs:ParametricMidtoneSplit="20"
   crs:ParametricHighlightSplit="90"
   crs:SharpenRadius="+1.0"
   crs:SharpenDetail="25"
   crs:SharpenEdgeMasking="0"
   crs:PostCropVignetteAmount="0"
   crs:GrainAmount="0"
   crs:LuminanceNoiseReductionDetail="38"
   crs:ColorNoiseReductionDetail="50"
   crs:LuminanceNoiseReductionContrast="40"
   crs:LensProfileEnable="1"
   crs:LensManualDistortionAmount="0"
   crs:PerspectiveVertical="0"
   crs:PerspectiveHorizontal="0"
   crs:PerspectiveRotate="0.0"
   crs:PerspectiveScale="100"
   crs:AutoLateralCA="0"
   crs:Exposure2012="-0.55"
   crs:Contrast2012="-47"
   crs:Highlights2012="0"
   crs:Shadows2012="0"
   crs:Whites2012="0"
   crs:Blacks2012="0"
   crs:Clarity2012="+45"
   crs:ConvertToGrayscale="False"
   crs:ToneCurveName2012="Custom"
   crs:CameraProfile="Camera Neutral"
   crs:CameraProfileDigest="AF004EBA47092ECF696D06CE24881DE8"
   crs:LensProfileSetup="LensDefaults"
   crs:HasSettings="True">
   <crs:ToneCurvePV2012>
    <rdf:Seq>
     <rdf:li>0, 0</rdf:li>
     <rdf:li>50, 38</rdf:li>
     <rdf:li>73, 68</rdf:li>
     <rdf:li>107, 106</rdf:li>
     <rdf:li>130, 126</rdf:li>
     <rdf:li>176, 173</rdf:li>
     <rdf:li>209, 206</rdf:li>
     <rdf:li>255, 255</rdf:li>
    </rdf:Seq>
   </crs:ToneCurvePV2012>
   <crs:ToneCurvePV2012Red>
   </crs:ToneCurvePV2012Red>
   <crs:ToneCurvePV2012Green>
   </crs:ToneCurvePV2012Green>
   <crs:ToneCurvePV2012Blue>
   </crs:ToneCurvePV2012Blue>
  </rdf:Description>
</rdf:RDF>
</x:xmpmeta>

whysodifficult

A1ex, Danne,
I didn't understand what you were writing above, of course, though it wasn't intended for me obviously.

BTW, thank you for such a huge work on making shooting video on Canon a pleasure. All the best to you!

@reddeercity, beautiful edit.

In case anybody would like to download my other 3.5K MLV's of Yosemite, i've uploaded them here:

Waterfalls — 1,3 Gb — 11 sec https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B47FS5gpVSwObWxhTTNiT0k1TW8/view?usp=sharing

Mountain river — 2,2 Gb — 20 sec
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B47FS5gpVSwOSkZYZU8tSHZ6aTQ/view?usp=sharing

reddeercity

Thanks , I'll check out the other Yosemite shots .

For all win users -- I been looking at different ways to use mlv_dump with out the cmd line interface as some have a issue with that .
So in a nut shell any of the old PC app that use mlv_dump , just replace it with the latest ver. from the experimental 4k crop rec download page.
It works with MLVBrowseSharp & MLVViewSharp MLV Viewer to view .mlv (and .raw) files on windows (C#) FYI this is cross platform (PC & MAC) .
I really like this old app it just never got finished being develop , it very powerful you can browses to any file location and extract dng's or export as legacy .Raw .
The reason I being that up is if you do convert to .Raw app's like  MLVProducer, ML Raw Viewer 1_3_4 ,  can then work with the new UHD/4k resolution's when shot with compressed
raw (it will be a bigger filer thou with uncompressed14bit) . I should mention with MLVBrowseSharp there's no thumbnail preview but does extract the dng's correctly by a right click
of the mouse hovering over the file and  MLVViewSharp there is pink highlight (works with converted .Raw , .MLV compressed raw error out) the great thing about MLVViewSharp
is you can change the raw debayering down to 1/8 of the resolution for quick playback plus many other image processing , LUTs etc. .... .
The other one I check out was MLV Converter 1.9.2  , replaced  mlv_dump and I could export dng's , 1080p proxy all at the same time , I can even export with Lossy  compression
which gave me a 1.35MB 3.5k file  verse a 8MB uncompressed 14bit frame . A.E. ACR see them and can be imported but not in to Resolve 12.5 . 
I tested the Lossy dng compressed to 1.35 MB pre-frame in A.E. and I could not tell the different between the compressed or uncompressed raw file.
Hope that helps a little.   

pc_bel

Thank you very much for this info reddeercity.

I was searching for a way to preview 14bit lossless mlv's without converting to dng's, and had no success.

Thanks!!!!!

pc_bel

:(
Tryed but no success.
I can't view 14bit lossless mlv's in MLVviewSharp.
mlv_dump replaced for the last version from experimental builds in same directory.
Did I miss something?...

GutterPump

I did not know the existence of MLVViewSharp, thanks you reddeercity.

But do you know how extract DNG into separate folders ? All the DNG are exported in the same directory.

reddeercity

Quote from: pc_bel on June 11, 2017, 12:39:16 PM
Tryed but no success. I can't view 14bit lossless mlv's in MLVviewSharp. Did I miss something?...
Quote from: reddeercity on June 11, 2017, 05:44:35 AM
  ..... MLVViewSharp there is pink highlight (works with converted .Raw , .MLV compressed raw error out)
@pc_bel  you need to convert .mlv to .raw legacy , unless  the developer "g3gg0" is willing to update to support compressed raw
that's the workaround at the moment . FYI you could request an update in his thread  ;)

Danne

One workaround previewing any MLV footage is going through MLVFS. Once the virtual dng files are created MlRawViever will be able to read the dng sequence. Just right click a dng file and select MlRawViewer.

reddeercity

Quote from: GutterPump on June 11, 2017, 01:04:14 PM
I did not know the existence of MLVViewSharp, thanks you reddeercity.
But do you know how extract DNG into separate folders ? All the DNG are exported in the same directory.
Just use MLVBrowersSharp , right click on DNG+wave then it open to a window to save , (see next image)

Select which drive or folder you want.

FYI: 10-12bit uncompressed support with metadata , this is how it should work  :D

10_12bit_5D2+metadata