crop_rec on steroids: 3K, 4K, 1080p48, full-resolution LiveView

Started by a1ex, April 01, 2017, 11:15:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jankrueck

Hey there.
I know you have plenty to do sir, but do you think it could be possible to throw in a very experimental sound build?
Don't care if it will be bulky to use. I have a projekt where its impossible to use a clap every time ;(

I thought about something like proxxy wave files on SD card.

sorry to annoy you again @A1ex  :P

a1ex

I'd be happy to review a pull request with this feature ;)

jankrueck

haha yeah. But when I say "I thought of" it literaly means "I thought of"
I have zero progamming skills beside html and css :D :D :D

a1ex

Understandable, but I also have good reasons to believe the ~5000 downloads of this build were not done by you alone :)

g3gg0

Quote from: a1ex on June 03, 2017, 03:39:18 PM
I'd be happy to review a pull request with this feature ;)

having patches on my disk.
wont take too long.
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

jankrueck

Quote from: a1ex on June 03, 2017, 05:33:47 PM
Understandable, but I also have good reasons to believe the ~5000 downloads of this build were not done by you alone :)

please help me to understand your sarcasm, as I'm not a native speaker ;)

Savely

I guess he mean (not native speaker though too) ir's not just you who asked something. I did too but dropped almost instantly since nobody responded. Aaand... A miracle! Now I know almost everything that once puzzled me. Actually thanks Danne for Dual ISO problem with crop_mode since it's he's tests with my footage showed me that it is not bad camera settings problem but rather flawed Dual ISO processing software

extremelypoorfilmaker

Quote from: jankrueck on June 04, 2017, 12:32:30 AM
please help me to understand your sarcasm, as I'm not a native speaker ;)

What makes me laugh is, I suspect both you and A1ex have a language in common, but out of kindness, write in english so everyone can understand :D

Walter Schulz

rob_6

If they added sound to this build I would probably buy another 5D! Image quality is incredible! Sound is my only wish. So that's 2 of us out of 5000! :)

g3gg0

Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

extremelypoorfilmaker

Jazzepisode

In the end we are all german and everybody is just writing english, because they think the others don't understand :D

Guys I have on quick question. Most likely im bringing something up, that has been answered somewhere else, but I couldn't find it. Why is it not possible to shoot 12bit or 10 bit raw in modes with higher vertical resolution like 3k mode or 1920 60 fps mode? Is this a limitation in anyway or has it just not yet been implemented?

Anyways you are doing an awesome job here. Thank you very much!

jankrueck

Na wenn das so ist, dann schreib ich mal in meiner Muttersprache :D
Also G3gg0 wie erstell ich ne pullrequest damit Alex glücklich wird?

Meinste wave als "proy" auf die SD zu schreiben hat Potential?

Savely

* 4096x1440 @ 25p (1:1 crop)

Is anyone could find this mode? I've check all modes and just can't find it. Is it exist?

Quentin

Quote from: Savely on June 05, 2017, 05:12:32 AM
* 4096x1440 @ 25p (1:1 crop)

Is anyone could find ершы mode? I've check all modes and just can't find it. Is it exist?

Try changing Canon Video System to PAL/NTSC
or try changing 1080/720 and see how it affects your vertical size.

Savely

Quote from: Quentin on June 05, 2017, 06:15:03 AM
Try changing Canon Video System to PAL/NTSC
or try changing 1080/720 and see how it affects your vertical size.

Thanks, changing 1080/720 does help.

Savely

As I understand card_spanning doesn't work on experimental crop_mode build so we are restricted with ~100mb/s so there are no hopes for sustainable 4k at 24fps (half-fps or redused vertical resolution is not an option). Or it is possible to add SDcard speed and up a bit writing speed for sustainable 4k >5sec rec?

etienne

+1 for the sound also i currently have a work around which is really cumbersome but that works with Full HD defintion.

I activate proxy record
i choose the SD card in ML menu as the prefered card for writing.
In canon menu I set the IPB as codec (all-i gives me more crashes but this is probably due to a weak SD card). SD mode 640 does works aswell.
In the End you get 2 files : 1 proxy video with sound on SD and 1 Mute MLV on CF.

The problem with this techniques is that the 2 files does not start in SYNC (h264 always start first) so you need to resync you audio with the MLV and run an export of the audio to match the MLV sequence.
It's like a clap sync without the clap but as heavy to deal with though. The benefits i that you get a proxy file you can start working with and find a little hand to do the dirty work of exporting matching audio.

The problem is that it does not work with 3K Mode as there is no preview to make image match

So if getting sound into the MLV is still hard to manage maybe enabling any kind of poor preview to the 3k mode would help to do the trick in meanwhile. or even better a way to have the proxy start in sync with the MLV

jankrueck

Quote from: etienne on June 05, 2017, 02:59:38 PM
+1 for the sound also i currently have a work around which is really cumbersome but that works with Full HD defintion.

I activate proxy record
i choose the SD card in ML menu as the prefered card for writing.
In canon menu I set the IPB as codec (all-i gives me more crashes but this is probably due to a weak SD card). SD mode 640 does works aswell.
In the End you get 2 files : 1 proxy video with sound on SD and 1 Mute MLV on CF.

The problem with this techniques is that the 2 files does not start in SYNC (h264 always start first) so you need to resync you audio with the MLV and run an export of the audio to match the MLV sequence.
It's like a clap sync without the clap but as heavy to deal with though. The benefits i that you get a proxy file you can start working with and find a little hand to do the dirty work of exporting matching audio.

The problem is that it does not work with 3K Mode as there is no preview to make image match

So if getting sound into the MLV is still hard to manage maybe enabling any kind of poor preview to the 3k mode would help to do the trick in meanwhile. or even better a way to have the proxy start in sync with the MLV

yeah nice idea. but this realy "sounds" (haha) like too much work.
getting a clap with timecode and external recorder will make it a lot easier. (even though it is more expensive)

looking forward to any solution wich brings sound to 3k

hjfilmspeed

Sound is good.... But understanding​ live view and compression are probably more important I think.

Savely

And no one care about card spanning idea to make (or at least, to try) crop_mode sustainable with 4096 24fps and reasonable aspect ratio? Because now we have essentially half 4k. If it's 24fps so it have some adsurd aspect ratio - like, just band throughout black screen. If we have descent aspect ratio - it's just 12fps... If we have both - it's just 3 seconds of record... 4k, fps, aspect ratio, continuance - choose one. What one can shoot with it?

Okay, I'm not pressing, but can we at least discuss this idea? It is even possible?

MartijnR

Hi there, I am in the middle of a little film project (although I have some time to complete it), and using 10 bit (2017-01-12 / crop3x.2017Jan.5D113) to focus on a water droplet (around 3K). In my setup it is good to make the final film 1080 (also to have the water droplet as big as possible). It is shot inside, and at 1600 iso there is already quite some noise (but I think manageable). I would be very happy if somebody could tell me if it is worth to put the new crop version on it, since I might have to change the setup of my project and lose some time.

- Will the lossless 12 bit (or 14 bit lossless) have less noise and better image quality compared to 10 bit (nonlossless), and more than 3K at 24fps? (there is a lot of movement in the imagery so that might limit the record time)
- Will the new version also have the option to choose the 3x crop mode (in addition to the around 1.6x crop mode)?
- Will the (older) 3x crop mode have less image quality considering (I assume) it is using a smaller portion of the sensor?

I might have to do these experiments myself, but it would be great if someone already knew some of the answers and help me safe some time. Thanks!

hjfilmspeed

@MartijnR the new 4k crop rec mod is way nicer. Your crop area will be centered, and you can't get better preview options. It might be a little different to use though. Also it is 1:1 resolution like before. Your crop factor depends on the mode/resolution you choose.

MartijnR

@hjfilmspeed Thanks for letting me know! Due to the nature of the project, this will save me a lot of time :) I have seen your tutorial (thanks) and was wondering if you would recommend the 29 april built, or just the latest built?