crop_rec on steroids: 3K, 4K, 1080p48, full-resolution LiveView

Started by a1ex, April 01, 2017, 11:15:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

extremelypoorfilmaker

Hi everyone,

I was fiddling around with the UHD 1:1 setting of the crop_rec module
The data I was recording was 14bit lossless, iso 1600.
It was recording continuously until I pointed the camera at the PC screen and this happened! :D

I still have the file if any of you would like to inspect it.
p.s.
I am sure it happened because of the high ISO and the sharp change from a dark corner of my room and the PC screen.
I read that 14bit lossless works best at low iso and with not too bright scenes, therefore I believe that was what made magic lantern to do this. I restarted the camera removing the battery and all come back to normal.

p.p.s.
When that happens, what button do I press to make it go away without having to restart the camera? :D

Danne

Been testing out these option in the crop_rec_4k
* 1920x960 @ 50p (both 1:1 crop and full-frame - 3x3 pixel binning) - continuous*)
* 1920x800 @ 60p (same as above)  - continuous*)
* 1920x1080 @ 45p and 48p (3x3 binning)  - continuous at 45p

Works promising with HDR footage.

I noticed compressed raw and lossless 10/12 bits can´t be selected only 14bits lossless. Searched around but I couldn´t find out the reason why other than from a live view message and some posts over here http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=19300.msg183763#msg183763
Is it simply not possible for 10/12bit and compressed raw with the binning modes?

Danne

A potential bug. Can somebody else but me reproduce following issue.

- Set camera to mlv_lite and select 1920x960 @ 50p in the crop_rec menu. Camera set to PAL.
- Record a short sequence and stop filming. Now exit liveview closing it the normal way.
- Now try to switch into liveview again.

From now on all I get is a black screen. Only way to get back into liveview is to set 1920x960 @ 50p in crop_rec menu to off, then open up liveview again and reselect 1920x960 @ 50p again.

5D mark III (1.1.3)
crop_rec_4k.2017Apr29.5D113

*related to 720p movie mode. When in 1920 no more black screen.

goldenchild9to5

@Danne it happened to me as well.. can't remember which build exactly, but it was one from April.  What I did was to format my SD card again and reinstall Magic Lantern again.  Sometimes when you use 50p 60p mode something breaks in the RAW modules I think not sure but ask @a1ex. 

Danne

Yes, it´s related to 720p movie mode. I updated my question. Thanks for getting back.

Kharak

Quote from: Danne on May 28, 2017, 03:17:02 PM
Been testing out these option in the crop_rec_4k
* 1920x960 @ 50p (both 1:1 crop and full-frame - 3x3 pixel binning) - continuous*)
* 1920x800 @ 60p (same as above)  - continuous*)
* 1920x1080 @ 45p and 48p (3x3 binning)  - continuous at 45p

Works promising with HDR footage.

I noticed compressed raw and lossless 10/12 bits can´t be selected only 14bits lossless. Searched around but I couldn´t find out the reason why other than from a live view message and some posts over here http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=19300.msg183763#msg183763
Is it simply not possible for 10/12bit and compressed raw with the binning modes?

What build are you running? I cant get continues in 1920x800 60p. Neither on 113 or 123. especially when bright and lots of details, it will even crash at times saying "compressed size larger than uncompressed" or something like that. Been using the 60p mode a lot this last week.

And a question for @A1ex . Is there possibility of getting bit higher resolutions in the 60p mode in the future? 800 vertical pixel is a bit of a squeeze, i love the look, but not every project deserves the cinemascope ;) Perhaps if you get spanning to work aswell?
once you go raw you never go back

Danne

1920 x 960 50fps is continuous. Early stops with other ones. Did not have the time to test extensively. I'm pretty amazed about the 1920x50 fps option.

Quentin

I confirm the bug with the black screen when 1920x800 @ 60FPS
It takes some patience and some assistance to recover Liveview back.
I press Canon Menu a couple of times and then ML button.

Kharak

What are the options for Windows users, to batch convert these MLV's?

I was using this Code:
@echo off
md "%~n1"
"C:\XXXXXX\Video Program\MLV_Dump on Steroids\mlv_dump.exe" -o %~n1\%~n1_ --dng %~n1.MLV

To Batch convert Selected MLV files in a folder. But after replacing the mlv_dump with latest, I can not get it to Batch Convert anymore, it will only convert one and then exit.

I don't know of any other converter for these new MLV's?

Please help, I have so incredibly many MLV's to convert.

MLVFS, does not work for me, as AE will only take in to account the changes of the First Frame from ACR.

spe42

Was testing out the most recent build and had a slew of errors when I tried recording video (there is one possible mistake I made, reinstalling ml now to see if I can reproduce error). I tried to start recording, and it did so for a few seconds, but then said card full. I didn't realize at the time, but it didn't switch over from cf to sd card, so I couldn't test to see if it would still have worked if I had switched manually. That said, since that happened I have been experiencing two kinds of errors. One, when I go to record video if I am using anything above 3k resolution a "script" will run indefinitely, saying that "mean is incorrect" and something about black level, and a range of numbers in the 2000-3000s. At the moment, I am able to reproduce this, but am unsure if reinstalling ML will fix. I have crash logs, etc. as well. The main thing that is also happening, is that I kept seeing text saying "video end not working". When I ran the self test, this message popped up quite a bit. Any thoughts? Should I provide any of the stuff I've got, crash logs and such?
the wrong man for thhe wrong job

pc_bel

QuoteMLVFS, does not work for me, as AE will only take in to account the changes of the First Frame from ACR.

Same for me... Searched for a solution but unable to find it.... :(

Quentin

Magic Lantern updates may generate incompatibilities with existing supporting tools. This is natural.
Developers of ML and ML tools are not gathered under the same roof and develop in synchronization.

ML developers specified in the first page that the only way to get DNG files is using mlv_dump
that is available in the download / experiments page.
Insisting to use last years tools, or older, together with today's ML build, is a waste of time.

Danne

QuoteMLVFS, does not work for me, as AE will only take in to account the changes of the First Frame from ACR.
You could build xmp sidecar files of every dng and after effects will treat every dng as unique despite being a sequence.
The problem is not mlvfs but AE.

Kharak

Quote from: Danne on June 01, 2017, 04:44:54 PM
You could build xmp sidecar files of every dng and after effects will treat every dng as unique despite being a sequence.
The problem is not mlvfs but AE.

Hey Danne,

How do i create xmp sidecars in AE? And wont that take a lot of time? Not sure how it works, but i am imagining that ACR has to go through each and every DNG and save its xmp.. I currently have about 200k frames to process.

Danne

You can build xmp from lightroom or even faster would probably be with exiftool through scripting.

Kharak

Was affraid you'd bring something like that up. I don't know how to do scripts or coding of any sorts. And incorporating yet another Adobe product in to my workflow is not what I want to do. I had a slow, but steadily working workflow "Send to Mlv_dump" batch convert - Transcode to Log intermediate in AE - Edit and Colour Grade in Resolve - Done.

Danne, you are good at coding. The code I posted above, it is the same I used before with the older version of mlv_dump. I assume the code is right, as it worked before. Could it be something with the mlv_dump version that is preventing it from opening the next MLV ?
I have tried deleting all MLV_dump, change locations of the mlv_dump, tried having no Blanks in the Location to Avoid the "", which I understood was for Blanks in locations. But nothing works. I have not tried going back to the older mlv_dump, as i really like that I now can play the DNG's in MLRawViewer, its actually a Must-Have that I can do that.

Danne

I have no idea. Don't you're command prompt tell you why it breaks?
Suggestion.
1 - try an older mlv_dump file and see if that works
2 - upload a problematic file if any.
3 - check with one of the windows threads
4 - test with latest mlv_dump and specify --relaxed which raises tolerance levels regarding broken/missing blocks.

gnezdo.kukushki

loknar

I noticed, that in Experiments/"4K raw video recording" appeared builds "magiclantern-startup-log.2017May31....zip" for a lot of cameras, what is the purpose of these?

a1ex

Hm... looks like Jenkins found the cellar keys on the build server, and noticing that nobody was looking at him, he had a little too much wine :)

Thanks for reporting.

loknar

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: a1ex on June 02, 2017, 09:09:14 PM
Hm... looks like Jenkins found the cellar keys on the build server, and noticing that nobody was looking at him, he had a little too much wine :)

Thought this was either a joke or a typo by Jenkins...  :P

Anyway I went ahead and downloaded a build for 7D.203 just because...

Here are the start up logs in case they are of any help or give out hints:

https://mega.nz/#!qhNF1Q7I!qmnhGAKHLktvQ-2FiT692qjpLL9wDvji1Jv68XcGbV4
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

Teamsleepkid

worst tease ever. I'll go back to being depressed now.
EOS M

a1ex

There was no teaser, to begin with. It was a bug (in the build server configuration).