crop_rec on steroids: 3K, 4K, 1080p48, full-resolution LiveView

Started by a1ex, April 01, 2017, 11:15:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dfort

Quote from: Danne on May 18, 2017, 10:31:07 AM
Or someone with a windows setup could help you compile a version.

Or you could cross compile a Windows version on your Mac. I compiled a Mac and Windows version from that branch, check if this works:

https://bitbucket.org/daniel_fort/magic-lantern/downloads/ml-dng-unified_8_-Mr_B_compress_ver2.zip

Quote from: RTI on May 18, 2017, 09:05:29 AM
For now it will be easier for me to install a hackintosh.

You would still need to cross compile to get a Windows binary. In fact on a Windows system you need to set up either Cygwin or a Linux virtual machine and cross compile to get a binary that works on any Windows machine.

dmilligan

Quote from: Danne on May 18, 2017, 03:17:47 PM
Please upload a sample file. If you dig round mlv_dump code it says following.
Error related to int ret.  Frame size?

The data is corrupted. See lj92 header:

LJ92_ERROR_CORRUPT = -1

Quentin

@ dmilligan

The data is corrupted.
There is no way to retrieve anything ?

rob_6

Just wanted to let you guys know that I have been recording without any crashing for quite some time with the latest build. I am using the settings recommended in hjfilmspeed's video at 3k 2.35 and it works so well! I am using a 256GB Lexar 1066x compact flash card and can record about 44-46 minutes  in 12 bit 3k reliably and it even closes the file once the card is full without crashing! Amazing work A1ex and everyone else that helped make this possible. I literally feel like I have a new camera! The only thing to be careful of is the compression and not letting the camera overexpose which seems to stop the recording due to the increased recording bitrate.

I have one question. As we know, if I half press the shutter while in the 5x crop mode it zooms in and allows me to focus with a normal live view playback. I usually half press the shutter before hitting the record button to get the focus right. But, I have been successful pressing the shutter half way while recording to get focus during the recording, too. Does pressing the shutter half way while recording put extra work on the camera which could cause the recording to stop early? So far, it seems to work fine. Just curious if anyone else has tried this technique or has any insight!

Thanks again to all!

Rob

g3gg0

Quote from: Quentin on May 18, 2017, 03:59:03 PM
@ dmilligan

The data is corrupted.
There is no way to retrieve anything ?

without a sample we could only clearly answer: "don't know"
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

g3gg0

you could also apply this (totally untested) patch - maybe it was only one frame that was faulty.

diff -r 8b31c98380d5 modules/mlv_rec/mlv_dump.c
--- a/modules/mlv_rec/mlv_dump.c Tue May 02 01:28:48 2017 +0200
+++ b/modules/mlv_rec/mlv_dump.c Thu May 18 19:26:05 2017 +0200
@@ -2958,7 +2958,7 @@
                             else
                             {
                                 print_msg(MSG_INFO, "    LJ92: Failed (%d)\n", ret);
-                                goto abort;
+                                goto skip_block;
                             }

free(compressed);
@@ -3763,6 +3763,7 @@
                 lua_handle_hdr(lua_state, buf.blockType, "", 0);
             }

+skip_block:
             file_set_pos(in_file, position + buf.blockSize, SEEK_SET);
         }

magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: rob_6 on May 18, 2017, 05:10:54 PM
...Does pressing the shutter half way while recording put extra work on the camera which could cause the recording to stop early? So far, it seems to work fine. Just curious if anyone else has tried this technique or has any insight!

I had similar thoughts. It seems to work fine on my end but sometimes I suspect that it may cause the recording to stop though not as often. Still trying to reproduce this but it could very well be related to the compression scheme from being slightly overexposed.
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

stevefal

(4K + dual_iso)/2 = 1920x800 @ 14+ stops DR w/o aliasing?
Steve Falcon

dmilligan

Not without aliasing, dual ISO introduces aliasing in the areas where the two ISOs don't overlap (highlights and shadows).

a1ex

A sensel cannot be read out at two different ISOs at the same time (so you are going to have some missing data in either spatial or temporal domain). In the first case you'll get aliasing; in the second one, you'll get motion artifacts.

This might be doable though: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=19315.0

stevefal

Quote from: dmilligan on May 19, 2017, 08:05:45 PM
Not without aliasing, dual ISO introduces aliasing in the areas where the two ISOs don't overlap (highlights and shadows).

I assumed that halving resolution would eliminate/reduce aliasing, since the highlight/shadow lines would no longer be doubled.
Steve Falcon

tit_toinou

Thanks for this module it's awesome !
Has anyone succeeded in getting 25 FPS 2.35 4K ? I'm stucked at 12.5 FPS (I have a good CF card)..

Here's what I've done with it https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=19568
5DIII

Anntria

Hi everyone.

I have problems with sound record on 1.2.3 firmware version, experimental build.
Got 4 modules on - crop rec, dual iso, mlv lite, mlv play

What am i doing wrong and how to solve it?

Kind regards, Anna

Savely

Is there any way for Win users do decode MLVs from crop_mode to DNG sequence except RawFlow?

In Dual ISO mode in crop_mode processed through RawFlow and Dual ISO Processor files sometimes corrupt. I did some tests but it seems randomly with this pattern in resulted files: http://joxi.ru/Dr8oB9wh4Eol8A.jpg and it's RawFlow.exe bug cause DNGs from MLVP (on old, not crop_mode build though) processed through Dual ISO Processor seems good.

So again, is there some way for Windows users to decode mlv files of crop_mode to DNGs except RawFlow? (MLVP doesn't work with crop_mode MLVs)

ewinemiller

There is no sound in crop_rec experimental builds. mlv lite does not support it. Use an external recorder. The Zooms are nice.

Quote from: Anntria on May 21, 2017, 04:10:09 PM
Hi everyone.

I have problems with sound record on 1.2.3 firmware version, experimental build.
Got 4 modules on - crop rec, dual iso, mlv lite, mlv play

What am i doing wrong and how to solve it?

Kind regards, Anna

Anntria

Quote from: ewinemiller on May 21, 2017, 11:04:57 PM
There is no sound in crop_rec experimental builds. mlv lite does not support it. Use an external recorder. The Zooms are nice.

Do i understand correct that there are no time codes for crop_rec experimental builds as well?
So mixing of external sound with footage is a sort of challenge as well, or am i wrong?

ted ramasola

Quote from: Anntria on May 22, 2017, 12:43:49 AM
Do i understand correct that there are no time codes for crop_rec experimental builds as well?
So mixing of external sound with footage is a sort of challenge as well, or am i wrong?

You can use a slate. or a simple clap your hands to sync it with ext recorder.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

Quentin

Quote from: g3gg0 on May 18, 2017, 07:27:08 PM
you could also apply this (totally untested) patch - maybe it was only one frame that was faulty.

diff -r 8b31c98380d5 modules/mlv_rec/mlv_dump.c
--- a/modules/mlv_rec/mlv_dump.c Tue May 02 01:28:48 2017 +0200
+++ b/modules/mlv_rec/mlv_dump.c Thu May 18 19:26:05 2017 +0200
@@ -2958,7 +2958,7 @@
                             else
                             {
                                 print_msg(MSG_INFO, "    LJ92: Failed (%d)\n", ret);
-                                goto abort;
+                                goto skip_block;
                             }

free(compressed);
@@ -3763,6 +3763,7 @@
                 lua_handle_hdr(lua_state, buf.blockType, "", 0);
             }

+skip_block:
             file_set_pos(in_file, position + buf.blockSize, SEEK_SET);
         }

Any chance to review the corrupted mlv file I placed on my Google Drive ?
Thanks in advance

g3gg0

download latest mlv_dump and add option "--skip-block 9" to your commandline

Quentin

Awesome !!!
It heals the problem.
I tried it on other corrupted mlv and it works.
Thanks for your wizardry  ;)

Danne

Great with all the latest "autopsy" settings @g3gg0.
--relaxed  8)

g3gg0

glad to hear it helps :)
any further suggestions are welcome.

Savely

Is there any way to merge DNG-sequence like AviSynth with RAW.mov do? I'm trying to shoot HDR video with crop_mode but AviSynth work just with mov files. Anyone now How to merge DNG frames with different expo to sequence with one corrected sequence?

*I'm on Windows

Danne

This is a bit of topic but regarding HDR there is one open source tool that merges dng files
https://github.com/jcelaya/hdrmerge
I tried this for a period of time but the caveat back when testing was that the tonemapping algorithms are mainly for stills. When merging movie sequences you get flicker since tonemapping will vary from image to the next.
What is not that much of topic is to elaborate about mlv_dump being able to merge hdr files coming from MLV footage. I tried some crude examples with averaging code working with consecutive frames. Bouncyball helped me out here with coding but simple averaging would produce pinkish highlights. Now averaging(tblend filter) code in ffmpeg is in another ballpark when looking at the merged footage that I played around with in MLP and cr2hdr.app. No pinks, just a good looking merged file.
Of course any of such changes would surely take a lot of time to accomplish and put into mlv_dump but since the question arised about HDR I thought I just put it out there.