crop_rec on steroids: 3K, 4K, 1080p48, full-resolution LiveView

Started by a1ex, April 01, 2017, 11:15:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

a1ex

So far, I've got 3 users with warnings about the null pointer bug (besides the 2+1 ones already solved over the weekend). Two of the new users had a false alarm (the modified value from ROM not affecting the functionality at all, being in unused areas), and the third user had his camera successfully patched.

Updated the tests (both python script and ML build) to ignore the false warnings I've encountered.

hjfilmspeed

a1ex

Quote from: Markus on April 10, 2017, 06:30:05 PM
Tried some of the new experimental modes on Fw 123 today. Looked really good but i could not get 1920x1080 45p continious on my Komputerbay 1066x I got around 10-20sek rec time. Has anyone achieved 45p continuous on FW 123? 

Yes.

vstrglv

Quote from: a1ex on April 10, 2017, 09:52:34 PM
Updated the tests (both python script and ML build) to ignore the false warnings I've encountered.
A1ex, where can i copy updated python script?
Many thanks.
Canon 5D3,1.1.3; Canon EOS M,202,  CF-SanDisk Extreme PRO,160MB/s, 256GB, SD-SanDisk Extreme Pro, 170MB/s, 128GB.

goldenchild9to5

@DeafEyeJedi Upgraded ML, or installed ML from the canon menu a second time Didn't see no pop-up screen all it did was install ML again.  So it seems like my camera is ok than. 

goldenchild9to5

hjfilmspeed

Using April 10th build. Testing 3072 x 1728
Got
ML ASSERT:
RAW_IS_IDLE
at mlv_lite.c:584 (measure_compression_ratio), task shoot_task
lv:1 mode:3

Magic Lantern version : crop_rec_4k.2017Apr10.5D3113
Mercurial changeset   : 11f405b62b31 (crop_rec_4k) tip
Built on 2017-04-10 19:48:55 UTC by jenkins@nightly.
Free Memory  : 163K + 3118K

Pulled Battery then restarted and reloaded mods.
The only things that I don't like are the current gray scale that it jumps to when it records (I know its purpose is to reserve resources)
The inconsistency of clip length due to changing compression.
And I find I cant get over 4 seconds on average with a 128 GB Lexar 1066x 160MB/s card.
I know this is very experimental I am just reporting my findings so far.

csound

Ran ML April 10 4K test my 5D mk3 and is indicating the problem of null pointer bug from April 4 ML 4K experimental. Reverted to latest nightly 1.2.3 2017-3-30 build which seems to work fine. Casual user of ML & not sure if I need to do anything to address potential bug?

Markus

QuoteTried some of the new experimental modes on Fw 123 today. Looked really good but i could not get 1920x1080 45p continious on my Komputerbay 1066x I got around 10-20sek rec time. Has anyone achieved 45p continuous on FW 123? 

I failed to recognize how noise at higher isos gives less effective compression. 1920 1:85 45p at  iso 800 seemes to be max cont rec for me.

togg

I was wondering what this means, this feature will be merged into the silent pictures module? How easy will it be to trigger the shots?

Quote* Full-resolution LiveView: 5796x3870 at 7.4 fps (128ms rolling shutter) - continuous*) at 5 FPS!

The last feature complements the well-known full-resolution silent pictures - the new implementation will be usable at fast shutter speeds, without the exposure gradient - but with rolling shutter (just like regular LiveView frames).

beauchampy

Shot a card full of 50p / 960 / 3x3, 113 at the beach and unfortunately every clip has a tearing across the top of the frame :-(

This was processed in cr2hdr 4k and it is the April 06th build. I have live view set to real time if that makes a difference..

https://vimeo.com/212739433

Edit: I also kept getting error messages. Recording with the error log still on the screen resulted in the old 1.67x stretch slow motion clips.

Danne

That footage is recorded unstretched right? So cr2hdr.app shouldn,t add the compensating destretching tag to the dng file. I could maybe put in a "not stretched footage" in the menu so it would leave the tag alone.
Maybe the info is already in the rawc metadata? Don,t think compressed_raw mlv_dump keep that code yet?
Can you upload asmall mlvv sample Beauchampy?

beauchampy

Quote from: Danne on April 11, 2017, 03:21:43 PM
That footage is recorded unstretched right? So cr2hdr.app shouldn,t add the compensating destretching tag to the dng file. I could maybe put in a "not stretched footage" in the menu so it would leave the tag alone.

Yes, it's unstretched 960 50p 3x3 binning.

Do you think this is cr2hdr rather than ML?

Edit; I also tried turning the preview to auto (switched to greyscale low fps) and the problem persisted.

Danne

Definately tag added not ML. Could you upload a short sample? In latest cr2hdr.app you can create a sample package in mlv_dump menu. Selection (12).
Latest version also combines both compressed and non compressed versions of mlv_dump so no need for any 4k version now.

beauchampy

Quote from: Danne on April 11, 2017, 03:26:57 PM
Definately tag added not ML. Could you upload a short sample? In latest cr2hdr.app you can create a sample package in mlv_dump menu. Selection (12).
Latest version also combines both compressed and non compressed versions of mlv_dump so no need for any 4k version now.

Here's a problematic sample MLV (sorry, didn't have an option 12 in mlv dump settings on my cr2hdr?)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-GY59oq1k7eM2xtVVhkZFRFUEk

Is this where you upload the latest builds for mac?
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/cr2hdr/downloads/

EDIT: Tried looking at the same sample file in 'Footage' and the same tearing occurs.. Not sure it is cr2hdr? :-/

Danne

Tag is added by mlv_dump(ml-dng version, dng.c code from dmilligan).
Could you upload the zip package? Much smaller in size. I have no good internet connection.

QuoteIs this where you upload the latest builds for mac?
yes.

beauchampy

Quote from: Danne on April 11, 2017, 03:53:03 PM
Tag is added by mlv_dump(ml-dng version, dng.c code from dmilligan).
Could you upload the zip package? Much smaller in size. I have no good internet connection.
yes.

Here you go, thanks for your help!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-GY59oq1k7eb2tDNm9VcEJnTmc

Danne

beauchampy

Quote from: Danne on April 11, 2017, 04:21:34 PM
Thanks. I take a dive into this later tonight.

Thanks mate I really apprecite that. Just FYI I just tried 123 and the latest April 10th build and the issue persists.

Danne

Ok, just took a quick look
Quote...old 1.67x stretch slow motion
I took this as you were getting stretched footage? Anyway, the tearing issue is as you say something coming from the compress raw itself not from mlv_dump. About stretching issue it all looks ok to me.

beauchampy

Quote from: Danne on April 11, 2017, 04:29:10 PM
Ok, just took a quick lookI took this as you were getting stretched footage? Anyway, the tearing issue is as you say something coming from the compress raw itself not from mlv_dump. About stretching issue it all looks ok to me.

That was only happening when my screen suddenly populated with errors and logs. I think crop_rec had crashed. When it was working properly (non stretched 3x3 50p @ 960px) I get the line tearing.

beauchampy

Anyone able to get 50p 3x3 1920x960 working without the frame tearing issue I am experiencing?   :-\

hjfilmspeed

@beauchampy I got 1920 x 1080 48p 3x3 without tearing but rec time was inconsistent.
I also got 1920 2.35:1 @ 48p without tearing. That was on the very first build

However, on the 4-10-2017 build I took about 5 or 6 clips of 3072 x 1728 @ 23.976 last night and notice that 1 frame out of all the clips had a small horizontal row of pixels that seemed like it was offset from the rest. Ill upload if I get a chance.

I was using RAWFlow with an updated MLV_DUMP to convert 14 Bit lossless to DNGS.

a1ex

@beauchampy: known bug, but right now, figuring out how prevent the recent soft-bricks has a higher priority.

Until then, my advice would be to try the Apr03 or older builds (which are double-buffered, which avoids tearing, but Frozen LV is not working well, so recording times may be shorter).

Do not use Apr04.

Frank7D

As far as the frame tearing issue, I saw it on nightly builds a while back on my 7D in crop mode and eliminated it by not using the accurate preview (ml greyscale). It was suggested that processor overload was responsible.