April Fools Gag is Still Not Funny

Started by Jimmy_Mc, April 01, 2017, 08:35:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimmy_Mc

Come on guys.  For a tool that is as widely used as Magic Lantern is, you really need to lay off the childish April Fools gag.

whyfy

"This is where you are totally mistaken. This is not a professional project. It is not intended to be a professional project. This is a spare time, hobby project that is just for fun. There are all kinds of disclaimers to this end."

Jockerl

Just update to the recent Nightly-Build and this gag is gone.

kroma

Oh my god. Just happened to me during a rally event I had to cover. i went completely mad. I tried everything. I cried. I removed the battery like 28173682 times. I deleted everything. I restored the camera to default settings.  This is ridiculous. And yes, I've had a big poker face when I've found that this was a joke. I have the lastest Nightly Build on my 6D and I can ensure that this version includes this crazy joke. I have changed the date on the Canon menu and I hope I can finish my work today.

g3gg0

well, regardless of who thinks it is funny and who doesn't...

my personal meaning as a german person who (as someone correctly said we "go to the cellar for laughing") is:

if this was a serious problem for you then you should realize that you are NOT PREPARED for magic lantern.
only if you are able to work around a ML failure, you should consider yourself ready for ML.

make sure you
a) know how to override ML start
b) you have backup cards without ML
c) know how to read error messages (e.g. text that says you should "look at the calendar" and "focus today's date")

if all can confidently answer "i can" then this would have been no issue for anyone.
those who are desperate and seek advice on how to fix that issue, realize every year that there is still something to learn :)
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

Guitarshredder1

I have an event later today that I am covering, and while I agree that this gag is in fact hilarious, it did take me a bit to figure out that it was an April Fool's Day prank (I saw the focus on the date and had to google to make sure). Changing the date in the camera isn't a terribly difficult workaround, but I do agree that maybe it should be phased out for next year (I'm still laughing, though!).

Aidan

Dino

So, I just registered only for this post >:(

Yesterday I made all my equipment ready for a workshop today, and I almost died when I turned on my camera at the beginning of the workshop this morning thinking something was broken. Tried everything including reset everything to defaults. In the end I used a SD-Card without magic lantern, but obviously without the ability of using the features of ML. And I had to set every single option on my camera again.

I agree that this is definitely NOT FUNNY!  >:(

People are actually using this software to make better pictures. Yes, even it's not intended to be a professional project. And with some childish things like this it will never be.

squig

I got punk'd last year and I've been testing/using ML raw since the first build. I forgot what bloody day it was! Zee Germans love their schadenfreude, look at Greece :p

Walter Schulz

a1ex is not a German. Other country, other language, other culture.

DavidP

Luckily I sold my 5d and moved onto Sony but had I been doing a professional shoot with my old camera today and this happened I'd have been hunting down whoever was responsible! Bad karma for you, fucking with peoples jobs! People have come to trust you and the ML "had" a great reputation for being reliable enough to use on professional gigs. You all lost a lot of respect today from many.

Walter Schulz

April fools day prank was there in 2015 and 2016.

ItsMeLenny

I like how not only does ML open up the greatness of the camera, but it also opens up the rudeness of the users (some of them).

These people that are so triggered by software that has been given free to them despite the extreme mass amount of code and time that has been put into it.

Somebody who "registers to the forums just to post this" doesn't deserve the benefits of ML for even one day.

And as for wishing "bad karma" and stating "lost respect" the only things the creators of ML have gotten out ML is opening up their own cameras, and they've done it themselves (there's a couple users along the way who have made major contributions), but they don't get money for it and they don't run off money to make it.

If I was one of the ML makers I wouldn't care the slightest of your comments. The fact that a forum post can be opened up like this in the nastiest way "childish april fools joke" (show me a child reverse engineering canon cameras) and then play out in an even more nasty way, the devs shouldn't take it out, just for a big up yours.

If you want to see how a post is correctly opened about this gag, see walters http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=19282.0
But all you had to simply do was state the problem and give a valid reason why this shouldn't be in.

squig

I've never had to use it, but I keep a BMMCC in my camera bag just in case. The bleeding edge is not for everyone.

g3gg0

again...
a warning to everyone being pranked yesterday:
you are not prepared for serious shooting with magic lantern, if this was a real problem to you
and t.b.h. this not the right software for you!

why?
if you use ML for business make sure a failure, no matter if serious issues or not so serious (like yesterday) won't get you in trouble!
- take ML-free backup-cards with you
- make yourself confident with rescue procedures
- learn how to temporary disable ML
- ML, especially "latest" versions can introduce troublesome behavior
- learn to read the error message...

yes, its cool that ML is being used in a lot of serious stuff. we really love that.
but we expect users to be prepared for the moment when ML is going nuts for some reason.
this day will come. again.
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]

g3gg0

and as this "bug on specific date" was already fixed long time ago, any further discussion about it makes no sense.