7D shut down issue

Started by SeanWhite, March 24, 2017, 12:39:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeanWhite

Hello all,
First time forum poster. New ML user so please be patient with me.
Like I said ML is new to me as I just recently transferred it onto a 32GB 400 x Transcend CF card for my Canon 7D. I excitedly went out and decided to capture a time lapse with the intervalometer! I shot the pictures in RAW and set it on aperture priority. Pretty standard interval settings of 10s and no bells or whistles added. It was all going well until about an 1 1/2 hours into it when the sun was finally setting and the best part was about to be captured my camera just shut down. The only display was showing the blinking empty battery icon and the camera was making a beeping noise even though the battery was more than half full. So I turned the camera off and back on and it came back on showing a battery life of 60% which was exactly where it should have been. I tried to make the best of it and start another time lapse but it shut down again but this time only a few minutes later. I was shooting in live view mode but I don't think that was the problem. This only seemed to be happening in time lapse mode but then it happened again the next day just shooting video as a test. Battery was full this time and it just shut off and now it basically wont stay on for more than a few minutes with out shutting off. The only thing I can think of and seems to be the obvious answer is I was not using an official canon battery as they are quite expensive and I am an ultra low budget shooter as my job pays very little. I tried searching for other people having issues with ML and after market batteries but found nothing. Wondering if you all know what might be going on!
Really hoping to learn a ton from you all and not only come here for trouble shooting as I want to use ML in all its glory!
If there is any other info I should include let me know and thanks so much!
Sean

andy kh

u need to try another battery. one of my battries does the same thing. it shows 40/50% but it shuts down anytime. there are some cheap battries on amazon. read reviews before buying one.
5D Mark III - 70D

ansius

+1 on the battery, have happened to me. I have noticed that cheaper unbranded lp-e6 voltage swings more, and it's internal resistance is higher, thus on a shutter cation (that is power hungry) voltage would drop and the camera would think it is empty thus switching it self off to protect it self. Good alternative batteries does not do that. toughs I have had various adventures with them - and the funny thing is only the original canon battery runs without a glitch, all others have died and exchanged.
Canon EOS 7D & 40D, EF-S 17-85mm IS USM, EF 28-300mm IS USM, Mir-20, Mir-1, Helios 44-5, Zenitar ME1, Industar 50-2, Industar 61L/Z-MC, Jupiter 37A, TAIR-3
http://www.ansius.lv http://ansius.500px.com

SeanWhite

OK I thought that was it. Bummer since I only have one Canon battery and 3 others I bought years and years ago that were aftermarket and worked fine in every situation until now. Maybe I will only have one or two CF cards with ML on them and only use the canon battery for those situations most needed and then save the other batteries and CF cards for shoots that I can manage without ML.