Going from old rawrec@5D2 --> MLV@5D3. Doubts and problems.

Started by togg, March 27, 2017, 05:29:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

togg

I've enjoyed shooting raw video with my 5D Mark II. Even if shes is still extremelly good since I'm using it for shooting important things I wanted to upgrade to the 5D III. I've received it today and trying to settle down all the differences and issues, especially since I was still using the old raw module.

Some of these things stress me a lot, I was so comfortable with the 5D2! I'm using the latest nightly ( 2017Mar12.5D3113 ) and a big number of Komputerbay CF 64 GB 1000X, filming in full MLV 16/9 with audio.

1) The biggest problem. I can't get the framing mask on. I could in the 5d2 with rawrec. Between AUTO/CANON/ML GRAYSCALE there's no difference. They all give me the full live view in color without any mask.

2) The bip sound doesn't work. I got from the menu that when the audio is recorded you don't get it (why? I can see it still be usefull) problem is that even when audio is switched off there's no bip. If I do the test the bip is there.

3) Mb/s monitoring numbers are all dancing around while recording. On the 5D2 I had a stable 75 speed. Here the numbers goes from 70 to 90 etc. The recording doesn't stop but I wanted to know if this is expected behaviour (maybe the 5D2 was only make the number round for stability sake) or if my Komputerbay are just instable.

4) On the 5D3 I can use exfat. The benefit of it would be mainly to have cleaner folder without spanning. I was also considering the inconvenience of having big files VS smaller ones. Problem is I discovered that when you format the card from the camera it is always formatted on FAT32, is this the case for you as well? If yes I'll stick with FAT, this could easilly screw up everything since I often format from the camera and if you shoot with the exfat option on on a fat card the video gets totally screwed. What's your setup?

5) I've selected the option to write a backup file to avoid file corruption with a full card. Problem is I still got file corruption! No way to read the file with both mlrawviewer and MLVFS. Does it work for you or do you still have to look for the end of the card as always? Is it fixable by adding a suffix as it was (I had to once) with the old rawrec?

6) I see that there're other things that can screw up the file, I hoped that the new file structure would have changed this, it's not a serious problem I just need to be sure about it. For exemple if I switch of the live view while recording everything goes bad. What others buttons should be avoided?

I'm so lost! Thanks for any help.

Post Scriptum: MLV lite is soooo good. It works so well on my 5D2 I'm actually considering not selling it. Congrats to the whole development team.

a1ex

I'm currently playing with mlv_lite on 5D3, so I've checked your issues on this configuration:

1. works fine here.

2. works fine if sound recording is turned off from Canon menu (otherwise it breaks sound recording, until you exit LiveView and return); that's a problem on newer models without CONFIG_AUDIO_CONTROLS.

3. works fine.

4. https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=13983.0 (sorry, extremely bleeding edge, so no test binary)

5. not tested

6. works fine here, zoom button blocked, exiting LiveView ends recording cleanly.

You may get different results with mlv_rec (didn't try).

togg

Hi a1ex, thanks for all the help it's really appreciated.

I've loaded mlv_lite as well. I'm having your same results! Seems that this module is now more stable than the full mlv_rec, maybe something went wrong in some nightly and nobody noticed.

I've tested both.

1) Framing mask works with mlv_lite but doesn't with mlv_rec. While testing I've noticed that the basic mask is a full black one, not the transparent one I have in the 5D2, which is better since imo you actually need to see what's just outside the frame (check boom mic etc). But surprise suprise, if you click the trash button and bring up the overlay of ML and then quit the mask becomes transparent. And the same thing makes it work with mlv_rec as well!
Very strange stuff.

2) I've bought my 5D3 not as a new one but with little use. I'm not sure which model it is. Anyway I can confirm that the bip does work with mlv_lite and doesn't with mlv_rec.

3) Same thing. Stable number with mlv_lite and not stable with mlv_rec. This is a problem because the dancing numbers can be a little bit distracting.

4) Wow, interesting. I'll stick with FAT32.

5) I didn't test it again. edit: tested! it works with mlv_lite without even have to allocate space (there's no option for it).

6) Same thing. Works with mlv_lite and doesn't with mlv_rec. With mlv_rec not only do you loose the footage but the camera also gets locked/busy and you have to restart it/remove the battery.

dfort

Quote from: togg on March 27, 2017, 06:49:48 PM
I've bought my 5D3 not as a new one but with little use.

Hi @togg -- same here and I also had some issues until I reset the Canon settings to their default values, then of course set customized it from there. Give that a try if you haven't already.

g3gg0

tried things also:

->  if you want e.g. cropmarks, you have to set "Global Draw" to "Enable"

does that solve this issue?
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

togg

(how do I quote people?)

@dfort  Sadly it doesn't work. I've reseted canon settings and everything is the same. Are you using the latest nightly? If not could you give it a go?
But crop mark are working now! I had forgot what g3gg0 is suggesting.

@g3gg0

Yesss! That was it. Discovered just before reading the answer. By the way Global Draw is amazing. I like the % spotmeter and the focusbox A LOT.

I'd say the other issues are minor besides the file corruption one that happens with full card or pressed button. Do you have this problem as well?

mattcraigthomas

Just a suggestion, in case no one else had thought of it, although I've no idea if it'd help!

If you want to really really reset the camera (unsure whether or not this would be referred to as a hard reset), pull the teeny tiny built in battery out for a few hours.

Teeny tiny screwdriver required :)

a1ex

Quote from: mattcraigthomas on March 30, 2017, 07:51:25 PM
If you want to really really reset the camera (unsure whether or not this would be referred to as a hard reset), pull the teeny tiny built in battery out for a few hours  :)

This will only reset the real-time clock.

Many of the settings are saved in ROM (yes, by flashing the ROM). Some of them are visible with the portable display test, which parses Canon properties directly from ROM. The property parser also reveals multiple copies of various setting blocks, from which only one of them is marked as "active"; this is probably (just a guess) used for wear leveling (and maybe also to save a "last known good" configuration). Since the ROM cannot be cleared by taking the battery out, you can't reset those by doing this.

There are other settings saved in an EEPROM (visible with mpu_dump) and - in some models - in a serial flash.

I'm not sure whether clearing Canon settings resets all of them (didn't try to see whether it really resets the ROM to some fixed state, or there are still settings or state variables that are not restored - such as shutter counter).

In any case, removing the small battery did not help with any of the bricked cameras I've looked at.

togg

I hope those issues are on the module and not on my camera :D Someone can test it out?

g3gg0

Quote from: togg on March 29, 2017, 02:24:43 AM
I'd say the other issues are minor besides the file corruption one that happens with full card or pressed button. Do you have this problem as well?

well, i didn't test it in more recent versions. in early times it worked.
but there was a lot of change since then, so it may be broken, yeah.

magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]

togg

Damn, that's really too bad. Ugly regression. Strange because everything works well on MLV lite.

togg

@g3gg0 @a1ex

would it help if I tracked down when this regression started?

g3gg0

nah, thanks. it would be enough to review the code and gracefully handle it :)
i prepared a full rework or mlv_rec so it matches with mlv_lite sources for large parts.
should simplify maintenance.
after that we can check whats happening exactly.

togg

ok nice!
For the time being people watch out to not fill the card!

togg

It is even worse then expected. It seems to me that when the cards fills up there's some kind of corruption on the others files as well, not just the last one. MLVFS and MlRawViewer are unable to read them. mlv_dump can though.

In this case the best would be something that shows you how many GB remains, couldn't it be calculated by looking at the raw files that are already on the card?

g3gg0

meanwhile i tried filling up the card.
recording stopped, with no trouble whatsoever. 5D3.
file was playable, no issues.

you have a 5D3 113 with FAT32?

togg

Walter Schulz

First make sure your card is reporting correct size info.
On Windows run h2testw.exe.
On OS X/macOS run F3 or F3X (GUI for F3).

Those tools are designed to detect card size fraud.

If your card is reporting an incorrect size to the OS data corruption will occur. And ML is not the cause, then.

togg

card size fraud? I'll check but it seems very unluckly, I've used all of them before exensivelly.

togg

I've noticed two more things in the last days:

1) There's a considerable lag in the live view, never noticed it on the 5D2 but I don't have it with me so I can't test. I guess it's normal like this.

2) There's a bug with the "rate" button. I start shooting raw (lite or full doesn't matter) I try to move the ISO with the joystick, it moves once and then every button stop responding, recording continue but I have to shut the camera down to unlock. It doesn't happen if I try to do it without recording. And it doesn't happen as well if I try to change the ISO with the standard button, in that case it's just difficult to remove the ISO overlay.

a1ex

1) this depends on preview options; it's a little better on the 4K branch.

2) disable small hacks and maybe SRM memory (assuming recording speed is not critical)

togg

Ok done, thanks. Now it doesn't hang but the jump in the exposure are still there.

I've got files at card full that are usable now. It's strange because in the end you always get the error "Card/filesystem error". Then in the card you have a bunch of extra M0 files with a few bytes that you have to delete to read the video. Weird.

a1ex

For exposure jumps, try the deflicker option in mlvfs. The digital ISO component is not recorded in raw.

togg

In general after a few weeks I can say that I'm having a lot more hangings/crash with the 5D3 than the 5D2, I'm satisfied by the features but in my experience stability matters a lot as well.

a1ex

Find out how to reproduce them and file proper bug reports, please.

Also, once you have a way to reproduce a crash, try it on 5D2 as well (to have proper evidence for your statement). Of course, at the same settings whenever possible.

From your past reports on this thread, only #2 was a problem specific to 5D3, but not present in 5D2 (and it isn't causing lock-ups or crashes, to my knowledge). The others were caused by different settings / different modules used.

togg

togg

Should I get all those M00 files at card full? Anyone else who can confirm this so that we can fill a proper bug report? It would be better if ML deleted them automatically.

I was also wondering, is it normal that I get 6-7 hot pixel at 1600 ISO even with an almost new camera? I have a couple of months of warranty, should I use it or it's not worth it? I mean, software wise I've found the solutions now but what should I aim for with the warranty?

Danne

A few pixels is probably normal. Put up a sample for others to  check.

rick_ford55

Heya tog and others I too get a lot of file/card error reports when I have filled up my card..... same 64gb cards you use ..... never been able to not read them though.... I also get M00 files..... normally shuts down the camera and occasionally I need to remove battery and card to get it going again. Not sure what causes it so any solutions would be grateful