Some doubt on MLV utilities

Started by adrjork, March 22, 2017, 02:42:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

adrjork

Hi everyone,
I'm pretty new to MagicLantern, I've read a lot of pages about utilities to convert MLV RAW (no audio) into DNG, but there are so many apps and so many versions... I'm confused and I'd like to make a clear point about it. Could you help me, please?

Let start saying that I work with an Hackintosh (Nvidia GPU) and OSX 10.12.3 Sierra.
Up to now (similar Hackintosh with Yosemite) I've always used simply RAWMagic to convert mvl RAW (no audio) into DNG, but since I use Sierra the app crashes always on startup.
---If you know how to solve this issue, please help, thanks.---

So I decide to move to another app: MlRawViewer or raw2dng. Raw2dng 0.13 can't load my mlv RAW files (?), instead it seems that 0.9 version can do. I also tried MlRawViewer 1.4.3 and I've noticed that the White Balance seems to be NOT the same as the original shot, so here I have some question:
1. About both raw2dng and MlRawViewer: do I need to install Adobe DNG Converter? And if so, do I simply need to install it, or should I use it in someway? And once installed, do the 2 apps respect the original White Balance? (RAWMagic had an autodetect WB function.)
2. RAWMagic had a vertical stripes correction function: it seems that MlRawViewer has it too (right?), but what about raw2dng?
3. MlRawViewer is the only one that asks me to set the color curve (linear, log-C, sRGB, etc.). I think I prefer to make all the color changes later in Davinci, so I suppose it's better in this step to maintain the original curve of the original shot (right?) But which is the original curve? I use a Canon 5D3 and I've semply noticed in the Canon menu that the color space is set to sRGB: does this mean that the original curve is sRGB?

Just one last question about cr2hdr: it should convert dual-iso RAW shots into hdr-DNG files, but searching this app I've found a couple of different (but homonymous) apps: the first appears like an
automator app (cr2hdr for mac OS Sierra) and it seems to require Adobe DNG Converter (just ADC installation?), while the second (always named cr2hdr) has an icon where you can see an arm and half a t-shirt. Also this last needs ADC installed? And which is the best app? Which one has vertical stripes function AND maintains the original White Balance of the shot?

Thanks really a lot for your help.

DeafEyeJedi

Well it sure sounds like @Danne's latest and greatest cr2hdr.app could be your best friend!

https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=15108.0
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

adrjork

Thanks for your reply.
This app version seems pretty articulated... so tell me if I'm wrong:
1. I select the folder with dual-iso and also NOT-dual-iso .mlv (no audio) footage (right?);
2. In order to obtain CinemaDNG output I must choose (m) mlv_dump (righ?);
3. Having NON-dualiso footage, I choose (10) disable dualiso automation (right?);
4. I don't set b/w level, and simply having Adobe DNG Converted installed I will obtain a DNG conversion with the original W.Balance of the original shot (right?);
5. I don't understand (07) disable stripes... if NOT chosen, will always correct the vertical stripes issues of the original shots?
6. It it necessary to add (01) no chroma smoothing to obtain an original-like conversion?
7. My doubt about the curves remains: does the app maintain the original curve of the original shot, or does it set a custom curve based on MlRawViewer setting?

adrjork

I moved my questions on the original Danne's topic.