Should I give up on RAW?

Started by ray__101, March 16, 2017, 06:09:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ray__101

Once you go RAW you honestly wont be happy with h.264 anymore haha. My computer sucks though and it takes waaaay to long to process RAW footage! On top of colour grading  and noise reduction with Davinci, I also like to use warp stabiliser on Premiere and sometimes Twixtor. However, this is a massive amount of processing that I'd have to do for each individual clip...Basically I'm just wondering if I should either give up raw and go back to the normal compressed video formats? Or if i buy a beast of a computer, will this workflow be do-able, because currently it takes ridiculously long.

I've got a canon 70D with sigma 18-35 and a steadicam and also a small shoulder rig so I'm not willing to spend money on a new set-up as i think it may be smarter to just buy a more powerful computer as RAW footage looks amazing and is comparable to some of the $10,000 cameras. I'm willing to put in a bit of work for post-processing but my pc at the moment is around 8 years old.

Thanks 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

togg

It's a hard choice. But yes if you can afford it you can buy a good pc/hackintosh for 1500 euro.

eNnvi

why don't you try to work with proxies?

allemyr

The short answer with no bigger investment in gear is for me to skip raw.

I think the only camera to use raw with is the 5D3. And that camera should also be better, in low light for example. Its not worth the big filesize for not that good antialiasing and stuff.
And if I remember correctly 70D doesnät have CF card and is vastly limited to the SD card speed around 30mb/s or something.

https://vimeo.com/172286896

Don't get me wrong that magic lantern raw is a bad thing, cause I really like it. Above is a video I shot a year ago sort of, ok quality but should have been a bit less noise in the 5D3 camera :D
I think I'am on quite good gear for raw. I have a computer with below hardware and glidecam a ronin 4 different ok lenses EF 100 IS is my favorite there, and more gear and gear. But with out my computers spec it would been such a hassle.

Software:
Windows 10
Raw2CDNG 1.6.1
Davinci Resolve 11 full version
Premiere Pro

Hardware:
Processor: 2600k (old now but still way to powerful for Resolve)
Ram: 24gb which is enough
SSD: 2tb Samsung EVO
Harddrive: 6TB Western Digital
Graphicscard 1: GTX 780ti
Graphicscard 2: GTX Titan X Maxwell.
27" quad HD display 1440p*

And thats sort of it.

So, should one focus on raw with a 2k budget, no is my answer, there is so much more that matter to a good short film then grading and image quality.

reddeercity

Quote from: allemyr on March 19, 2017, 08:56:38 PM
The short answer with no bigger investment in gear is for me to skip raw.
I think the only camera to use raw with is the 5D3.
So how did you come up with that conclusion ?
Have you tried all the ML enabled cameras ?

Quote from: allemyr on March 19, 2017, 08:56:38 PM
Its not worth the big filesize..... .
And if I remember correctly 70D doesnät have CF card and is vastly limited to the SD card speed around 30mb/s or something.
Maybe you should do a search from  raw_video_10-12bit ,
Just saying  ::) 

andy kh

Quote from: ray__101 on March 16, 2017, 06:09:18 AM
I'm just wondering if I should either give up raw and go back to the normal compressed video formats? Or if i buy a beast of a computer, will this workflow be do-able, because currently it takes ridiculously long.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

you dont have to give up raw and you dont have to shoot in raw for every project. i shoot both raw and h264 but i choose the right format according to my need. i shoot in raw whenever i want that film look, dont mind that big file size and the long post proccessing.  i hav been shooting raw since ML invented it. workflow has become so much easier for me now.
5D Mark III - 70D

togg

The 5D2 is perfectly fine and way less expensive. A really good choice if you're on a budget.

DanHaag

I upgraded my hardware years ago for raw with the Mark III. Never looked back, still working with the setup, was totally worth ist. Keep in mind, not only your ML raw experience gets better with fast computer & RAID but also about every other rendering, post production etc. you're doing will benefit and be future proof for a while to come. Even if you switch to real cinema cameras or get footage from people who shot raw on likes of Alexa, Red, Blackmagic,... won't be a big deal for your upgraded machine & you also got the best practice by working with the ML raw footage. From my own experience, I'd stick with raw and upgrade the workstation.

QuickHitRecord

Just shoot raw and compress to ProRes for editing. You can probably use your current machine and the images will still grade much, much better than H264.

ML Raw Compression Ratios

10-second clip

Original MLV: 872MB
RawMagic Compressed CDNG: 466MB (47% reduction)
Davinci Resolve ProRes4444XQ: 479.2MB (45% reduction)
Davinci Resolve ProRes4444: 316.4MB (64% reduction)
Davinci Resolve ProResHQ: 222.9MB (74% reduction)
Davinci Resolve ProRes422: 92.2MB (91% reduction)
5DmIII | January 27 2017 Nightly Build (Firmware: 1.23) | KomputerBay 256GB CF Cards (1066x & 1200x)

mothaibaphoto

Thanks, @QuickHitRecord, You just confirm with numbers my sentence that ProRes4444XQ is pretty useless regarding storage saving:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5473.msg180003#msg180003

DeafEyeJedi

Regardless MLV to ProRes4444XQ (w Cinelog DCP) for life!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109