5D MK II - Software solution for Moire and Alias?

Started by kenwreddick, March 06, 2017, 10:50:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kenwreddick

Sorry if this one has been beaten over the head, but looking for a definitive answer on the 5D MK II and whether there is anything I can do to correct the moire and aliasing. I cannot get my hands on the VAF-5D2 - looks like this is just obsolete now the the MK III. I don't need video very often, but I have something coming up that I would like to use the MK II on. I just don't have the need to upgrade to the MK III or IV etc. I've seen notes about cropped lensse, but all the lenses I have are for full frame.

Again, sorry of this has been hashed and rehashed a thousand times - I just didn't find an answers after a number of different searches.

And if anyone has a VAF-5D2 for sale, let me know!

Thx.

Walter Schulz

?
VAF-5D2b seems to be in stock at Mosaic Engineering.

Brawl

for software solution you may try: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=15271.0
there is a filter (should be "reduce false colors").
the anti aliasing filter should ruin some colors so you can create a mask with the original video. in this way you can cover only the right parts of the image (the ones with aliasing).

kenwreddick

The past couple of days the Mosaic Engineering site was down. I was not familiar with them and thought maybe they were no longer. I see that's now not the case as the website is up and online store shows stock of the filter. Thanks. I will try the software solution however.

togg

By the way I'm selling my VAF-5D2b, it worked wonderfull I'm selling it because I want to buy a 5d3. I'm in Europe, it's pretty easy to ship it since it's small.

Brawl

I own a vaf lilter from mosaic engeneering for 7D (bought few months ago) and it erase aliasing very well. the only downside is that manual focus will be a little bit harder than before. I'm happy I bought it but it's pricey. If I could find it second-hand I would get it.
I saw their web site is ok now. I see they did a new filter for BM Ursa, cool.

dariSSight

Canon 5D Mark II

togg