Remote IR shutter control to trigger movie recording instead of photo shoot?

Started by HugoFilipe, August 20, 2013, 11:58:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HugoFilipe

Is there a way to make the IR remote control to trigger movie recording instead of photo shooting?

I'm using this on a remote camera, since recording RAW, the useless minutes between the recording start and the actual action means lots of GB's and even a 128gb card full.

Thanks

SDX

Funny.
Just the other day I wrote a module for exactly that purpose (just for me, but I'll share it). Download it here.
It starts recording movie on a half-press of the shutter button, which can be executed externally from a trigger-cable or remote. It's, however, only for starting. It's just a quick and dirty implementation and works fine for me.

Audionut

Wouldn't it be better to insert of menu option into the existing module?

SDX

mageye

I don't understand what the problem is?

I have a little IR remote control and use it to start and stop RAW recording. What am I missing here?
5DMKII | 500D | KOMPUTERBAY 32GB Professional 1000x |Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III | Zoom H2 (4CH. audio recorder) | Mac OS X 10.9.2 | Photoshop CC | After Effects CC | Final Cut Pro 7

SDX

What does that remote control send to trigger recording? A halfpress, a fullpress?

xnav

IR remote is working for the video and you only have a full press! with the wireless or wire remote is not working juste taking picture

SDX

My IR remote takes a picture when in video mode - as it should. Nice to know that there are differences.

xnav

On video mode if you select 2sec timer on the remote it start the video!

t2scorp

Hi,

first, I have big problems using remotes with my 5D3. Most of the remote triggers doesn't start the video when pressig the trigger. Sometimes the video starts and sometimes it don't.
I tried the module but it says oldAPI. Is there any possibility to make the module work for me? Or have anyone the same problems and found a solution?

Alex

beauchampy

Quote from: mageye on August 22, 2013, 01:54:31 PM
I don't understand what the problem is?

I have a little IR remote control and use it to start and stop RAW recording. What am I missing here?

I can get my recording to start, but I cant get it to stop.. What's your secret?

(Not using this module by the way, just got it working with the Canon settings)