Recording to SD / CF Card depending on what i record

Started by myown, March 03, 2017, 10:37:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

myown

Hello

I did not found any topic regarding to my wish...feel free to move or close this topic there already is one.

It would be nice if there is an option in magic lantern to chose automatically on which card it will record.
For example i like to record photos to the SD Card and Movies (or photos in high speed /burst mode) to the CF Card.

Of course i wish this feature mostly for my 5D iv...but yes i know... :-) maybe it's also usefull for other cameras and users

Regards
myown

a1ex

That's possible to implement on 5D3 (and hopefully all the other dual-slot models which will run ML), although it's something that has to be decided before taking the picture or recording the video. For example, auto-switching to CF when going to movie mode and back to SD when going to photo mode should be doable, but that means photos taken in movie mode will go to CF.

Burst mode may be tricky - changing settings during a burst sequence doesn't always work, and the behavior is model-specific (for example, 500D allows changing exposure during a burst, but most newer models refuse such changes). So, it's probably tricky (not impossible, but not straightforward either) to switch the card during a burst sequence (if ML detects you are taking more than one picture).

I don't see this feature as a priority, but if you have some time to spare, feel free to give it a try. There is already a setting in ML that switches the card at camera startup, so you may use it as a starting point.

myown

Hi A1ex

The idea was that when i switch the camera into high speed mode (H) that it changes to save the pictures on the CF Card.
Changing during a burst sequenz is not needed :-)

I thought about doing it by myself...but my skills are bad (or don't even exists)

Priority is low, i agree with you. its just a nice feature ;-)

cheerio

a1ex

Right, I'll consider exposing this API to Lua then, so one should be able to customize it.