Error 70

Started by Brian Blagowsky, February 24, 2017, 08:55:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian Blagowsky

I have a 5DII which I rent out. I started shooting with it yesterday, and after a few minutes, I received a prompt that the card was full. I had forgotten to check the card before recording.  The last person that used it had left numerous files on that card.  When I tried to remove that card and insert another, I received a prompt that the card needed to be formatted to work with this camera.  I tried to reformat the card, but the camera wouldn't let me reformat the card.  I ejected that card and tried another. Same thing. I tried several more cards, and could not get any of them to work with the camera.  I can turn the camera on without a card in it, and then insert a card, but I get an Error 70 message. Does anyone know what that means?

It seems as if the camera is perhaps locked up in some kind of boot up

I have tried to use Disk Utility to erase and reformat a card (Mac OS X Extened Journaled) and recopy some older ML files from July 2013, and that would not work.  I downloaded the latest Nightly Build, and tried copying those files to a reformatted card, but that still isn't working.  Can anyone help?

a1ex

ERR70 covers over 1000 error conditions, so unless you can get a crash log, there's no way to guess what causes it.

Normally, ML saves such logs as soon as it encounters this condition (so, just start from a ML card, and make sure ML is actually loading).

Brian Blagowsky

a1ex, I have tried booting from a ML card, but the LED doesn't flash and the screen stays black.  I have also tried to boot from a non ML card and can't get it to work.  When I start up the camera without a card, I can access all the Menu functions and everything seems okay. When I try to insert a card and they format it, the camera locks up. I have also tried to start up the camera without a card, and then insert a card, and then select the firmware option and it locks up.  From what I've been reading, it seems that the bootflag is somehow engaged in the NVRAM.  Could this be why the camera seems to operate without a card, but doesn't seem to recognize the cards when inserted?  Is there a way to erase the NVRAM? Or somehow disable the bootflag?

Brian Blagowsky

a1ex,  I have tried reformatting a 32Gb card as an ExFat, and then uploaded the DCIM, MISC, and ML folders along with the auto exec.bin file, and was able to finally get the ML Rescue prompt screen, which instructed me to remove the battery.  Unfortunately, that didn't seem to do anything and I still have not figured out what the issue is.

a1ex

Okay, so at least the bootloader is OK => we can troubleshoot it. The boot flag is active in the camera, no reason to change it. Camera starting without card is also encouraging.

Starting from the card with working ML Rescue (aka portable display test), copy a recent nightly build. Do you get any sort of activity (LED blinks, menus, logs)?

Quote from: Brian Blagowsky on February 24, 2017, 10:29:47 PM
When I try to insert a card and they format it, the camera locks up.

Who are they? Canon's format dialog?

Any pins bent in the CF slot?

If the card I/O is not working in the main firmware, we may need some additional hardware to get logs (e.g. a photodiode to capture LED blinks).

Just FYI: there are two card drivers in Canon firmware (this applies to both CF and SD models): a simplified one, present in the bootloader (which loads autoexec.bin and FIR) and a full-featured one (with DMA, pretty complex) used in main firmware. If there's a minor hardware defect (such as a status signal missing), it is possible for one of these drivers to work, while the other may fail (I can find examples for both cases). So, camera loading autoexec.bin doesn't necessarily imply the card I/O is working in the main firmware.