fastcinemadng

Started by katrikura, February 22, 2017, 12:17:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

megapolis

Quoteit doenst work  on my laptop with 2gb nvidia graphic
Which GPU model do you have? Minimum requirement is GPU of 6xx series (Kepler architecture). Have you installed the latest NVIDIA driver? 2 GB should be ok for images up to Full HD.

andy kh

its 525m  thats why its not working. i wasnt aware that minimum should be 6xx
5D Mark III - 70D

Kharak

Will test as soon as i get a descent internet connection.

Is Nvidia 980m supported? Older versions worked with it, not sure if you changed anything
once you go raw you never go back

megapolis

QuoteIs Nvidia 980m supported? Older versions worked with it, not sure if you changed anything
Yes, it should work. Previous version of the software was based on CUDA-8.0 which was compatible with 5xx series of NVIDIA GPU. Now we've moved to CUDA-9.1 and that's why minimum requirement is 6xx NVIDIA GPU.
980m is laptop gpu and quite powerful. This is Maxwell architecture which is fine.

megapolis

Some new features were added:
1. AVX speedup for focus dots removal
2. Export to EXR format
3. One can save current frame to any 24-bit image format which is supported in QT

bouncyball

When there will be ready Linux version?

megapolis

I'm sorry for the delay. We have too many urgent things to do at the moment. Currently we are working on grayscale DNG support. We are also going to release pgm2dng opensource project at github soon. I hope that Linux version of Fast CinemaDNG Processor for Ubuntu 16.04 should be ready within 2-3 weeks. I will post that info here as soon as it's ready.

bouncyball

Thanks for quick reply.

breaker

I have tried hard to export MLV files as DNG files. But all i can export is MP4.
Tried to change Default Output format to DNG in Options. Tried to choose DNG instead of ffmpeg in Render dialog... and a lot of other stuff.
The .dng files seem to be ready in the project explorer window to th left. But I want them exported as separate files.
I'm using lastest version.
EOS 7D | EOS 650D | Sigma 30mm f/1.4 | Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 | Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 STM | 50D RAW Monster :-D

megapolis

Thanks for your info. I've checked that and I can see that you are right - in the latest release, which we've uploaded yesterday, there is a problem at DNG export with Lossless JPEG compression. All other options for DNG export (uncompressed DNG, BMD 3:1, BMD 4:1 and BMD 5:1) are working well and you can use them. I think, we will be able to fix that on Monday. I will let you know.

For DNG export you need to set Output format to be DNG and in "DNG export" tab choose compression algorithm. Then press red button at Player panel and you will get exported DNGs at /Output folder.

breaker

Thanks for quick reply! I did not use any compression, but the strange thing is that I got it working after you replied, but then I had the files on a local SSD-disk. At earlier tries I had the files on a network disk, could that be a reason?
EOS 7D | EOS 650D | Sigma 30mm f/1.4 | Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 | Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 STM | 50D RAW Monster :-D

megapolis

The bug is fixed and the latest version for Windows could be downloaded here:
www.fastcinemadng.com/download/download.html
Your MLV/DNG files could reside either on SSD or on network disk, the software should work. We have a user who is processing 5K CinemaDNG images on M.2 network disk via 10GigE and even at that case he can achieve realtime processing with our software.
In the latest release we've also added support of Kinefinity digital cinema cameras.

breaker

Thanks! Downloaded and installed. Most of the GUI scales a lot better on my 3840x2160 sceen, but the picture is very small now.
Don't seem to import more than the first mlv file. DNG's from M00, M01 etc. don't appear (only 102 dng's from MLV + M00...M21). That was also a issue for me on the latest version. I'm happy to test more  :)

megapolis

QuoteMost of the GUI scales a lot better on my 3840x2160 sceen, but the picture is very small now.
Have you tried to zoom the picture? Could I have a look at screenshot?

QuoteDon't seem to import more than the first mlv file. DNG's from M00, M01 etc. don't appear (only 102 dng's from MLV + M00...M21).
Could you please send me your set of spanned files for testing? We tested such files and there were no problems with them.

breaker

QuoteHave you tried to zoom the picture? Could I have a look at screenshot?
Sent you link by PM. The picture's frame didn't scale, but the picture scaled up inside original small frame.

QuoteCould you please send me your set of spanned files for testing? We tested such files and there were no problems with them.
Sent you link by PM. Not ordinary mlv video, but Full res Silent Pic.

megapolis

Thanks for sending your screenshots and mlv files.
Now High DPI mode is working. Your spanned mlv files also could be loaded and processed.
The latest release is here: www.fastcinemadng.com/download/download.html

theBilalFakhouri

Hello! @megapolis

It's really nice software for viewing MLV files in Real-Time! I was using a build from about three months without problems in playback but the latest one I can't playback the file until I press the mute sound button and when sound is on the playback stuck,, can you confirm that in Windows ? (I am on Windows 8.1).

Also I am wondering why loading the file is taking long before it open I am using SSD and even for small files you should wait until it loading,, can it be improved?

Nice software!

megapolis

Three months ago, as I remember, we didn't have full audio support yet. Since then we've added audio player and it could be a problem at playback if audio file size doesn't correspond to a number of frames in mlv or dng series. If you press mute, you switch off audio player, so audio can't affect the playback. Could you please send me a link to your mlv for testing to discover possible bug in audio player? You can do that here or via PM.

As far as concerns project loading time, it takes so long because before loading we need to reallocate GPU memory and recreate all GPU-based modules for image processing. These are not fast procedures. We know how to make it better, but the task is quite complicated and we hope to accomplish it by the end of the year.

MLV/DNG projects can be loaded fast if they have the same frame resolution and bit depth. In that case we don't need to reallocate GPU memory and we can reuse it. Please don't close current project before opening the next one. If all your mlv/dng are from the same camera, you will get fast loading for all projects starting from the second one at such approach.

If you have loaded one project and the next project has the same bit depth, but less or the same width and height, in that case the second project will be loaded fast as well. If your projects have different bit depths, in that case we always have to recreate image processing pipeline and it takes time.

Good SSD helps to read mlv/dng fast, this is very important to ensure smooth playback. This is especially important when you are loading uncompressed mlv/dng. Please note that our software is offering both mlv2dng export and dng recompression (dng2dng transform), so you will be able to get your dngs with lossless or lossy compression. You can also cut your dngs at the same time if you need.

theBilalFakhouri

@megapolis

Yes it wasn't three months exactly Hahahaha I thought it was three,, I has download it in 29/5/2018 about 1.5 month ago. Here is how the problem looks like:

And here the MLV file. There is no problem when playing extracted DNGs with audio only with MLV files not working correctly.

Thanks for explaining about loading time and good luck for improving that fingers crossed! Also for exporting DNGs from MLV I had no luck with exporting settings it some kind of complicated thing for me (I was trying maybe to export to H.264 using ffmpeg) . Now I tried exporting to DNG and Motion JPEG it just fine and more simpler than ffmpeg commands.

megapolis

Thanks for your info and for mlv. This is a bug. I will let you know when we fix it.

12georgiadis

Hello, very promising app!
I wanted to know if there is a possibility to implement a batch for cinema offline workflow Id. Export ProRes 4444 12 bits (av foundation) + ProRes proxy that shares the same tc + reelname + name on metadatas. The idea is that we can edit with proxy for offline editing. Then conform with ProRes 4444.

Or then what alternative codec to ProRes 4444 with C-log do you recommend ?
I heard that jpeg2000 is lighter than APR444 but is it editable in Premiere Pro CC / FCP X / Resolve / Avid MC ?
Could it be contained in a .mov ? Can we put a log-c on it ?
Can we have an offline workflow like working with APR Proxy and conform to jpeg2000 (sharing the same TC and name metadatas) ?
is it seen as one file and not multiple stills ? Is it faster to process from mlv than APR 4444 ?
What about Cineform ? Is it compatible with CUDA ?

By the way, what demosaicing algorithm do you recommend to remove aliasing when you have a camera without vaf-filter (like eos-m) ?

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

megapolis

QuoteI wanted to know if there is a possibility to implement a batch for cinema offline workflow Id. Export ProRes 4444 12 bits (av foundation) + ProRes proxy that shares the same tc + reelname + name on metadatas. The idea is that we can edit with proxy for offline editing. Then conform with ProRes 4444.
Right now it's not possible at our software. You can do that in two steps:
1. Export from Raw to ProRes 4444 12 bits via FFmpeg
2. Export from Raw to ProRes proxy via FFmpeg
We are going to add scripting to the software in the future to be more flexible and I think that such a task could be solved then.

QuoteOr then what alternative codec to ProRes 4444 with C-log do you recommend ?
We can't give you such a recommendation. We think that ProRes is good.

QuoteI heard that jpeg2000 is lighter than APR444 but is it editable in Premiere Pro CC / FCP X / Resolve / Avid MC ?
We have experience with JPEG2000 and recently we've actually released GPU-based JPEG2000 codec. You can get more info here:
https://www.fastcompression.com/products/jpeg2000/gpu-jpeg2000.htm
This is very complicated algorithm and our JPEG codec on GPU is about 15-20 times faster. You can see our J2K benchmarks at the site. I think that J2K will make sense only in the case if there is a second GPU at your PC, exactly for J2K handling in realtim. So, J2K is not a light solution. It's quite heavy, but with high quality, and it supports 14 and 16 bits as well. Though, for small resolutions it could be ok even on a single GPU. Soon we are going to release MXF player on GPU, but this is different task.

QuoteCould it be contained in a .mov ? Can we put a log-c on it ?
Export to MOV is usually done via FFmpeg, so this is not a problem. As far as concerns Log-C, we still need to add a feature to import output curves from external files. Right now our software can't do that.

QuoteCan we have an offline workflow like working with APR Proxy and conform to jpeg2000 (sharing the same TC and name metadatas)?
We haven't done that yet. You can try it with our software via external FFmpeg, which can encode to J2K.

Quoteis it seen as one file and not multiple stills?
In general, if you save J2K frames in MXF file, then in will be just one file. You can also save J2K as multiple stills.

QuoteIs it faster to process from mlv than APR 4444 ?
We haven't done that comparison yet.

QuoteWhat about Cineform ? Is it compatible with CUDA ?
I think that Cineform could be implemented on GPU, but I haven't heard about such an attempts. In general, that algorithm could be done in parallel, but at the moment it exists only at CPU implementations, as I know.

QuoteBy the way, what demosaicing algorithm do you recommend to remove aliasing when you have a camera without vaf-filter (like eos-m)?
I don't know good solution for that task. Chroma denoising could help, but not too much. I think that current progress in debayering is slow and I think that we could expect good results only from machine learning side. Neural networks (CNN) show very good results, but they are still very slow. As I know, max debayering performance currently is around 1 Mpix/s on GPU at CNN.

mothaibaphoto

Quote from: megapolis on July 31, 2018, 06:23:43 PM
Sadly, there is NO 12 bits ProRes in FFmpeg.
But You, as a software developers, can help to fix that:
https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/7163

masc

Quote from: mothaibaphoto on August 01, 2018, 06:51:29 AM
Sadly, there is NO 12 bits ProRes in FFmpeg.
But You, as a software developers, can help to fix that:
https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/7163
Sadly true. But your link is about decoder, not encoder. 12bit prores can be encoded via AVFoundation on macOS only.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

12georgiadis

Quote from: megapolis on July 31, 2018, 06:23:43 PM
Right now it's not possible at our software. You can do that in two steps:
2. Export from Raw to ProRes proxy via FFmpeg
We are going to add scripting to the software in the future to be more flexible and I think that such a task could be solved then.
We can't give you such a recommendation. We think that ProRes is good.
We have experience with JPEG2000 and recently we've actually released GPU-based JPEG2000 codec. You can get more info here:
https://www.fastcompression.com/products/jpeg2000/gpu-jpeg2000.htm
This is very complicated algorithm and our JPEG codec on GPU is about 15-20 times faster. You can see our J2K benchmarks at the site. I think that J2K will make sense only in the case if there is a second GPU at your PC, exactly for J2K handling in realtim. So, J2K is not a light solution. It's quite heavy, but with high quality, and it supports 14 and 16 bits as well. Though, for small resolutions it could be ok even on a single GPU. Soon we are going to release MXF player on GPU, but this is different task.
Export to MOV is usually done via FFmpeg, so this is not a problem. As far as concerns Log-C, we still need to add a feature to import output curves from external files. Right now our software can't do that.
We haven't done that yet. You can try it with our software via external FFmpeg, which can encode to J2K.
In general, if you save J2K frames in MXF file, then in will be just one file. You can also save J2K as multiple stills.
We haven't done that comparison yet.
I think that Cineform could be implemented on GPU, but I haven't heard about such an attempts. In general, that algorithm could be done in parallel, but at the moment it exists only at CPU implementations, as I know.
I don't know good solution for that task. Chroma denoising could help, but not too much. I think that current progress in debayering is slow and I think that we could expect good results only from machine learning side. Neural networks (CNN) show very good results, but they are still very slow. As I know, max debayering performance currently is around 1 Mpix/s on GPU at CNN.

Thank you for all answers.
As said above, no ProRes 12 bits. Only AVfoundation.
j2k is intersting because if it's wrapped in MXF, it can be used for editing on all NLE.
Cdng is good and all the options you offer are excellent, but this format is sadly not very well handled by fcp X / Premiere / Avid.
Then, where we can use it except with Davinci Resolve ?
I think ProRes + J2k GPU encoding + GoPro cineform GPU is very futur proof editing codec as it can be used in cross platform.