Black Magic cinema camera

Started by hurricane91, July 30, 2012, 05:51:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hurricane91

I understand that magic lantern has focused on canon cameras mostly because of the quality and how revolutionary the 5d markII was. i am hoping that in the very near future that you guys will take a look at other cameras, especially the black magic cinema camera that is dropping at the end of this month. as you guys may know its a Super 16mm that takes EF mount and ZE mount lenses. it shoots at 2.5k raw 12 bit, and 10 bit at ProRes at 1080p. it uses SSD harddrives and i am considering this over the 5d markIII right now. i am hoping you guys will take a look at this and tell mewhat you guys think off hand.

he56ys5ysu7w4

Hmm, interesting. Only $2,995?? Did I miss anything?
Sure, the 1D-C shoots 4k but cost over $13k.
Amateur shooting family stills and video
Gear: Canon 600D/T3i -- Sigma 30/f1.4 EX DC HSM -- Canon EF-S 15-85/f3.5-5.6 IS USM -- Canon EF 50/1.8 II -- V3 LCD Viewfinder loupe -- Velbon RUP-L40
Editing with LR3 and FCPX

KarateBrot

Quote from: he56ys5ysu7w4 on July 30, 2012, 07:11:34 AM
Sure, the 1D-C shoots 4k but cost over $13k.
yeah and it's even worse that it propably only records in 8-bit
If you donate a RED EPIC to me you officially are very cool ;)

Pumpkinwaffle

Pretty amazing indeed.

The only drawback seems to be it's fps that is fairly limited at the moment. Nothing ML couldn't fix though :D
550D ~ canon 50mm 1.8 ~ canon EF-S 18-55mm ~ canon 35-80mm [macro moded]
http://pumpkinwaffle.deviantart.com/

bart

Big disadvantage is the cropfactor of 2.4x. Problems in the wide area and harder to maintain shallow depth of field which is a very important story telling tool and the main reason for choosing DSLR video over regular videocameras.

Malcolm Debono

Only disadvantages I see with regards to the BMC are:
- Battery life (not sure if any external solutions have been released)
- Crop factor (you need an ultra-wide lens such as the Tamron 11-16 to get a wide angle)
- Form factor (this one also applies to DSLRs; you'll need some sort of rig to keep it steady, unless you're on a tripod)
- Sensor quite small when compared to DSLRs

Other than that, it's a marvellous camera especially considering its price tag (not to mention that the software included is worth half its price tag alone). Personally, if I wanted to buy this camera, I would still wait to see what BlackMagic comes up with next, as I think that this is only the start.
Wedding & event cinematographer
C100 & 6D shooter
New here?  Check out the FAQs here!

Pumpkinwaffle

You forgot one thing.

It doesn't take photos :D

What will be really interesting too is the reaction of Canon and the others to such a camera. Will the next DSLR have raw footage?
550D ~ canon 50mm 1.8 ~ canon EF-S 18-55mm ~ canon 35-80mm [macro moded]
http://pumpkinwaffle.deviantart.com/

Malcolm Debono

Quote from: Pumpkinwaffle on July 30, 2012, 12:56:55 PM
You forgot one thing.

It doesn't take photos :D

What will be really interesting too is the reaction of Canon and the others to such a camera. Will the next DSLR have raw footage?

LOL  :D

I'm also interested in how Canon will be tackling this since there's quite a gap between the high-end DSLRs (such as 5D3) and the C300. They'll surely attract many users who are currently using DSLRs for video if they manage to release a good camera similar to the C300 within this range.
Wedding & event cinematographer
C100 & 6D shooter
New here?  Check out the FAQs here!

Michael Zöller

neoluxx.de
EOS 5D Mark II | EOS 600D | EF 24-70mm f/2.8 | Tascam DR-40

1%

This camera is more of a sensor for a studio rig, just sayin. At 2k its cheaper than red or alexa but not ~$500 like the 550d/600D. Also DOF and crop factor.

DSLRs are general purpose and more accessible, I don't think they are going anywhere yet.

Michael Zöller

neoluxx.de
EOS 5D Mark II | EOS 600D | EF 24-70mm f/2.8 | Tascam DR-40

Chungdha

I recently played around with 5d mrk3 and man the focal lenght with 550d is so different and different feel of the dof. I dont think i would ever go with anything that crops further than 1.6x as me 550D i already feel it looks horrible compared to a full frame, especially using wide angle lenses the full frame is just awesome. So the crop factor of 2.4x sounds horrible and 2K actually i dont really care much about that as its just slightly bigger. I rather buy the 5d mrk3 with that money instead, cause of the full frame sensor, you need to have tested it to really know how awesome it is.

bart

Well the following sample clearly shows that the cropfactor still enables enough selective focus and the camera is capable of a LOT more.

It looks great. Look at that resolution in 1080p! And the control over the dynamic range and the nice tonal gradients. I like superwide lenses because they can capture a forest from top to bottom like you are standing in the middle of it. The crop factor spoils that but in return the footage is real 1080p with real detail. And that looks very pleasing.