Canon 70D-LCD Not working - Able to take pictures and correctly saving in card

Started by chandramouli, February 19, 2017, 02:50:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chandramouli

Hi,

My name is Chandra. Yesterday night I have installed magic lantern latest build - magiclantern-Nightly.2016Oct26.70D112

Camera type: 70D
Firmware: 1.1.2

Today after noon, I have worked for two hours and turned off the camera at location. On the way home i have turned on the Camera, but back LCD stopped working. Able to boot the camera and took couple of pictures without back LCD working.

I have tried the following after reading for a while in the internet.

1. Turned on the Camera, Took the battery and SD card out of the camera. After 5 min, I have kept the battery and SD card into the camera and turned on:   LCD not working. Able to take pictures.

2. Turned on the Camera without SD Card - Problem remains same.

3. Turned on the Camera with a new SD Card formatted on my laptop. -  Problem Remains  same.

4. Turned on the Camera with a new SD Card and Fresh magic lantern binaries - Problem remains same.

5. Connect the camera to EOS Utility and able to take pictures and change settings.

Please let me know if there are any other way to check the health of LCD and solve this problem.

Regards,
Chandra

Regards,
Chandra

chandramouli

Hi,

I have installed 70D-Magic lantern today. After two hours of usage, MY 70D - back LCD stopped working. Am able to take pictures using the current settings but unable to take video. (Display on top of the camera near shutter speed wheel is working fine)

I have tried all basic resetting tactics like Removing battery, Formatting SD card, Deleting ML Settings file from settings folder, etc.

Please help me to resurrect my camera.

Regards,
Chandra

nikfreak

[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

Avenger 2.0

Will your LCD work without ML? If not, sounds like a hardware problem to me. Dead LCD panel of controller chip.

nikfreak

Last try would be to connect to an external monitor / TV an reinstall the original Canon 1.1.2 firmware.

Walter Schulz

@chandramouli: Do you have a backup of your ROM0.BIN and ROM1.BIN files? Those files were stored on your card.

a1ex

To check whether the LCD hardware is working, try the portable display test. It uses only bootloader routines, so it won't be affected by bad settings accidentally saved into ROM.

chandramouli

Thanks for the response.

@Nikfreak: Yes i have tried i have tried pressing all button including Menu, Info, Trash icons.

If the LCD chip is dead, is it replaceable? I will try connecting this to monitor today.

@Avenger 2.0 : No, I have tried, without card as well and formatted card. In both cases, LCD remained in turned off state.

@Walter : Yes, i have the backup of these two file, Is there a way to use these file to restore the original ?

@a1ex: I have tried the portable display test, blink led test , but in both cases the problem remains same.

Thank you so much guys for responding, I will post the update here after the monitor test.

a1ex

The LED blink test is not done for 70D, as we didn't have any reason to run it yet. So it won't blink.

To check whether the portable display test card was prepared correctly, you should not be able to take pictures during the test. To take pictures again, you should have to take the battery out and restart the camera without card (or with another card).

If you can take pictures during the test, that means your card is not bootable (so the test didn't run).

The display test won't work on an external monitor (just FYI).

chandramouli

@A1ex : Thanks for response. I have repeated the display test.

Here are the steps that i have followed.
1. In the original SD Card with ML, i have renamed the autoexec.bin and copied the display test binary from the link you have shared ( size 50kb ).
2. Inserted the card and closed the shutter and later the battery into the camera.
3. Even before turning on Camera, it looks the LCD monitor back-light is on ( still black though ).
4. Turned on the camera, Except LCD back-light on (No data on screen), No Other feature is working at this state. (Ex: Top Display with aperture and shutter speed is not working).
4. I have waited for 5 min. And turned the camera off.
5. removed the battery and sd card.
6. Revmoed the autoexec.bin from the card. and renamed the original autoexec.bin

One more test:
Using EOSUtility 2 software, I am able to remotely connected to the camera and take pictures. But Video Live view is not working. ?
Is there way to check if  the video option is working on or not ?

Regards,
Chandra

chandramouli

Hi ,

@Nikfreak:  I have connected the camera to a monitor using "mini-hdmi to hdmi" cable. But I am unable to view the camera screen. (Note: cable is new one)

Also, I have following crash log files in the memory card. These files are from yesterday. Not related to monitor test. I am not sure if there is much information to understand the problem.

Another observation: When i am taking pictures, it is still taking yesterday date, instead of today's date.
(Today Feb 19, all images are getting stored with Feb18)

Crash Info:

ASSERT: err == SUCCESS
at GUI.c:684, task MainCtrl
lv:0 mode:3

ASSERT: err == SUCCESS
at GUI.c:684, task notifybox_task
lv:0 mode:3

ASSERT: 0
at ./Capture/Capture.c:522, task EventMgr
lv:0 mode:22

Magic Lantern version : Nightly.2016Oct26.70D112
Mercurial changeset   : 6f7addb46f0d (70D_merge_fw112) tip
Built on 2016-10-26 08:44:16 UTC by ml@ml-pc.
Free Memory  : 230K + 1907K

Regards,
Chandra

nikfreak

never seen such error messages from a 70D. From your description it looks like the portable display test binary did indeed run as it should and your LCD just seems to be broken. Good sign is you still can use EOS Utility with the camera.

In EOS Utility there's the Setup Menu in which you can click onto the firmware version. When doing so a window will open and you could try to select 70D00112.FIR file but I am unsure if the utility will allow the rewrite/reflash of the same version. Try it out and report your result.

a1ex

Checking whether the LiveView is working is a bit uncertain, as Canon code may or may not check whether the display was successfully initialized.

One possible way: set up the ML card to load the silent module and enable it (silent.en and "silent.pic = 1" without quotes in silent.cfg, both under ML/SETTINGS). Then, attempt to take silent pictures blindly in LiveView by pressing shutter halfway.

You can as well ask nikfreak to prepare a dm-spy build to log all Canon messages (CONFIG_DEBUG_INTERCEPT_STARTUP=y).

Crash logs:
GUI.c:684 - GUI event queue full (some event handler, either Canon's or ML's, got stuck for some reason)
Capture.c:522 - scsIMAGEParamCBR (can trigger only if called with invalid VaJobClass argument; guess: out of memory or memory corruption)

I don't think reflashing is a good idea in this case. You'll also have to confirm the firmware upgrade blindly.

chandramouli

@Nikfreak:  I have tried to reflash the camera using EOS utility. As @a1ex said, i have confirmed the firmware update blindly  ( clicking on set button to proceed with the firmware update).  But Still the LCD did not turned on after restart.

Can i have the DM-SPY build, so that i can generate the log messages for your verification.?

@a1ex: I will try the silent pic approach today evening.

Thank your very much for your time and help.

Do you recommend to take it to service center to check if there is any hardware problem in the LCD. ?? or it is too early for that step. I live in San Antonio,Texas,USA. Nearest canon repair center is 70 miles away (Precision Camera, Austin,TX).

nikfreak

Sorry, I can ofc prepare a dmspy zip for you to take the startup log when I come back home but your camera lcd or mainboard or whatever is indeed broken. I would send it in for repair if you got warranty or otherwise sell it as it is and put the bucks your would pay for repair on top of it to buy something else.

chandramouli

Hello All,

As predecited by @nikfreak,  my Canon 70D main PCB got corrupted. A quick search in google , i found that there are lot of people in my scenario who has PCB problem. The current quote for repair is $450. Do you guys recommend to go for repair at this price?

A facebook group doing a campaign on this issue : ( it may sound funny )
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1097179210391610/

Regards,
Chandra

nikfreak

I recommend selling it as it is. A repair isn't worth it at that price.
I was wrong about the fw update but regarding 70D's reliability I already confirmed your findings

chandramouli

Thanks @nikfreak
I will take your advice.

Also, Suggest me a better cam for video production my budget is a maximum of 2000$.
I am thinking about 5D Mark II ( Pre-owned ) or 5d Mark III new one.. This one will be my first full frame. 

( I am not sure, if this is right place to ask this question. if not I prepolozize (a new word :-)  )

Regards,
Chandra

nikfreak

Probably not the right place but if it needs to be powered by ML then I would only go for 5D3 if you can afford it. You need some extra cash for CF cards and lens(es), too.

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: chandramouli on February 28, 2017, 08:47:17 PM
...suggest me a better cam for video production my budget is a maximum of 2000$.
I am thinking about 5D Mark II ( Pre-owned ) or 5d Mark III new one.. This one will be my first full frame. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/ol/B007FGYZFI/ref=mw_dp_olp?ie=UTF8&condition=all
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

chandramouli

I have called to cancel the repair of Camera Today, During that I got following update  from Canon Service center.

As initially stated, the problem is not in main board, the LCD power circuits has some issue. When i have asked for the root cause, I have been told that the problem is cause by a bad battery or bad sd card.

Is this really correct.?? I have asked them to return my camera as it is.