[HARDWARE PROBLEM] 5d mkII problems with v2.3

Started by 6stringlove, August 05, 2012, 05:05:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

6stringlove

Well, I'm sure that I'm just missing something simple here, but I'm having some issues with my mkii. After installing ML, it worked fine for a few days. I installed on 2 different 16GB CF cards. Now, when either of those cards that have ML on them are put into the camera, the top LCD will come on, but no buttons work. When the shutter is depressed it flashes "busy" on the top LCD until finally on the back LCD it comes up and says, "card not formatted, format with this camera". When I go to the format feature in the camera menu, and try and format the card in the camera, it says that the card cannot be formatted, and to try a different card. I've tried another card that does NOT have ML on it, and it does not work at all. I've read through the issue pages over and over and have found nothing like what I'm experiencing. Everything I've read on the troubleshooting section says to format the card in the camera, which I cannot do. Even trying a fresh card does not work, it still says that the card is not formatted and to format it in the camera. I've tried reloading the ML software onto the card, still nothing.

I will add, when using a card that has ML loaded on it, when the card is first inserted and camera turned on, everything works except the camera will not take the photo, then after a second or two, the rear LCD screen shows card not formatted...if I let it just sit like that for a few, the rear LCD screen shows "please copy all ML files", and then says the DATA\FONTS.DAT is not there, which I checked, and it is indeed on the card, which I have copied everything that unzipped, so I'm not sure what else to copy.

So very confused! I've tried brand new CF cards, I've tried formatting my cards in another 5d mkii, I've tried using another card reader, I've tried recopying the ML onto the cards, nothing works! The camera without a card boots up fine and functions 100% perfectly,  but as soon as any card is inserted, whether ML card or regular card, nothing works.  >:(

Malcolm Debono

You can try formatting the card on your PC and making it bootable using EOScard (http://wiki.magiclantern.fm/3rd_party_software).

Can you post a printscreen of the files & folders found on the root of your card? I suspect that you might have some files misplaced.
Wedding & event cinematographer
C100 & 6D shooter
New here?  Check out the FAQs here!

6stringlove

I have tried using macboot to make the card bootable for dslr and that does not work. I don't have eos utility loaded so I will try that later today and see if it makes a difference. I will also post some screens shots of the card root and what files are on it.

6stringlove

Alright. Here are some screen shots of what the card looks like with the ML files on it, as well as a few of what is in each subfolder. The following is the file that the camera shows is missing on the rear LCD screen. ML\DATA\FONTS.DAT, however you can clearly see it is there!

Malcolm Debono

Strange. All the files appear to be in order.

I never tried MacBoot since I'm on Windows. Maybe someone else who's used it can give you further tips.
Wedding & event cinematographer
C100 & 6D shooter
New here?  Check out the FAQs here!

6stringlove

Theoretically, there should be no difference between Macboot and EOScard in the way that they format the cards, correct? Both programs prepare the card to be DSLR bootable. OS should not make a difference. Honestly, I think I know what happened. I'm almost 100% certain that the card was removed without waiting for 5 seconds. Which, in theory, I should be able to just reformat the cards and start over...but no such luck. It's almost like something in the cameras programming has been changed, but then again the camera works fine with no card, so then I'm not sure that would be the problem. Craziness!!!!!

vidyn

I'm no PRO - and I have just started using v2.3 on my mk II ... but have you tried removing the battery? I did the same thing as you - remove the card too soon and my camera went dead. That did the trick for me ... Anyways - good luck! I hope you get it fixed.

a1ex

Sounds like a hardware issue with the CF slot from the camera. Can you notice any bent pins when you look inside?

6stringlove

I've removed battery numerous times, no dice. Pins are 100% fine nothing is bent.

Leigho

Have you tried re-updating your 5D to 2.1.2 and doing a fresh install of ML?

6stringlove

Yep, I've tried that. Anytime a card is inserted, the camera says it is not formatted and it flashes "busy" on the top LCD screen. If let it flash for a bit, it will eventually let me into the menu, and when I go to format, it says "insert a card with firmware to update", even if I have one in there that has the firmware on it. I looked to see if I could find an older firmware to load, and then redo the update to 2.1.2, but I can't find one.

a1ex

Quoteit says "insert a card with firmware to update", even if I have one in there that has the firmware on it

This has two possible causes:

1) card not formatted in the camera (format it in another 5D2)
2) hardware failure of the card slot (this step is not done from main firmware, but from bootloader, which is extremely unlikely to get corrupted).

6stringlove

Alex, I've tried formatting a card in another 5d2, and got the same message, however I will try it again with several cards to make sure it isn't just that one card. Honestly, at this point I'm almost wondering if the boot loader isn't jacked up somehow.

6stringlove

**UPDATE** I have now tried formatting my card in another 5d2, same problem persists. I did a google search for boot loader problems in general, and happened across this thread from ML forums, http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=1455.0. It isn't the EXACT problem I'm having, but very close. I borrowed the Canon CD from a friend, and installed EOS Utility, and when I plug my 5d2 into my computer, EOS Utility immediately crashes and will not reopen. If I unplug the camera, EOS Utility will open and run fine. I am really thinking that somehow the boot loader has gotten corrupted in the camera. I am no software engineer, and have no experience with reflashing that. Can anyone help me with that, or do it for me?

a1ex

I will check the bootloader for you, but I have no permanent internet access these days, so it will take a while.

6stringlove

Alex,

I really appreciate your offering to look at it for me! If there is someone else that can do it, so that you aren't burdened with it, that would be fine! I understand if you are out and cannot get to it right now. I can be flexible, but, as I'm sure you can imagine, the quicker I can get my cam back online, the better! Cheers. 8)

dcsimages

6stringlove

Quote from: dcsimages on September 01, 2012, 02:43:15 AM
Any update on this issue?
Yeah, that's a big negative. I finally got tired of waiting for help and sent my camera into Canon to be reset.  :'( I'm still waiting to hear what their conclusion is as to what went wrong. I'm quite sure that whatever it is, is probably quite simple, but we shall see. *facepalm*

nanomad

EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

6stringlove

Quote from: nanomad on September 17, 2012, 07:04:20 PM
Well, we can't do wonders.  ::)
I was/am by no means asking for nor expecting wonders or a "magic fix" immediately. Simply was little frustrated at going almost an entire month with no comments or input from anyone. Hindsight, I spoke with the repair shop I sent it to, and it seems as though the card slot had gotten damaged, unknown to me. So, while it looks as though the problem has ended up not being related to ML, and I am still very happy with ML and its capabilities, it would be nice to know that when emergencies come up, there won't be a month long wait for help. :) No worries, I'm not going to be an angry supporter that goes out and bash talks you guys, I still love what you do! 8)

ilguercio

So what were you expecting then?
Nobody can tell what the problem is until it has the camera in his hands or disassemble it.
A service center surely knows better all the problems that can happen.
Once again the problem is not ML related so i don't really get the point of your frustration towards the community...
If somebody had an input (i suggested a few possibilities for a malfunctioning in another thread because the symptoms were similar to mine) he'd have already posted something.
;)
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.

6stringlove

At the time all of this started, we thought the problem WAS ml related, and were just having a hard time pinpointing what happened. Let's say the problem HAD been with ML, and I (or anyone else for that matter), had to wait a month for any kind of help from the mods, it would get a bit frustrating by then. I appreciated all of the input I got from several people in between, but it was things I had already tried after reading all of the things that the guys at ML require you to read before you post problems. I was at a point that I'd done all of that, and we were thinking it was a problem with the bootloader or something software/programming related, which I know nothing about. So, my hopes were that one of the mods or developers could help me look at the programming to see if that WAS indeed the problem, or if all of that appeared to be in order, I would send it off for hardware failure diagnosis. My point of all of this is NOT to gripe about the ML product, or any of the guys on here! This place is a wealth of knowledge, and I frequent it when I need to know something or learn something. Please don't take this as me bashing on this site, any of the people on it, or on ML. Just expressing what my frustration was at the time, which now does not matter since the problem was hardware related.  :)