Canon 5D Mark III / 5D3 / Firmware 1.3.4

Started by dfort, February 15, 2017, 02:04:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JennyGW

dfort, great reply, thank you for all the information, much appreciated.

I just can't have the worry of what not being on the latest Canon firmware could do, so I'll hang fire for ML 135.

Would it be possible for ML to enable 4:2:2 10 bit hdmi out, do you think?  That would be so awesome.

amp829

Hello !
i bought a used canon 5d MK3 but it has the 1.3.5 firmware , what can i do so i can use  the ML  ?
My knowledge to computer are basic , so if there is someone who can help me with a simple way , i would be very appreciated

Thanks in advance

amp829

i did the answer on the ML forum because here is the "fountain" for this information , i don't want to waste time generally in the internet from people who sometimes  don't really understand this particular   case ... from firmware 1.3.3 and over it's not the easiest way to downgrade , and specially for the last firmware i own 1.3.5 there are very few and general information for downgrading .... and because i am afraid that i might do something wrong i ask the most experienced "players" for this job .

JohanJ

please check this link https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=18941.msg179807#msg179807.
@dfort made a very good documentation about upgrading and downgrading (Original post: Firmware update/downdate?) specifically for 5DMKIII 1.3.3 and newer releases. (I guess it works for all EOS models).
60D.111 / 100D.101 / M2.103

dfort

I do have a test build for the 5D3.134 on my downloads page but it is highly experimental and doesn't have a .FIR file. This means that in order to set the camera bootflag you need to downgrade to an ML supported firmware (1.1.3 or 1.2.3) and to set the card bootflag you'll have to do it on your computer using software like MacBoot or EOSCard. I tried doing a 1.3.5 ML port but ran into problems. Maybe someday I'll revisit this but for now my preferred ML setup with the 5D3 is using the 1.1.3 firmware and the crop_rec_4k branch.

ruc

Hallo,
is there any new news if magic lantern functions with 1.3.4 or 1.3.5?

I managed to make it work some time ago. But the card is gone and I do not have a card that is "bootflag" and I do not know how to do that either.
So I'm considering whether I go to firmware 1.2.3 and magic lantern run let.
Is there any pros or cons?

dfort

Quote from: ruc on November 07, 2018, 10:29:28 AM
is there any new news if magic lantern functions with 1.3.4 or 1.3.5?

Reply #105 just above your post still applies. The 1.3.4 pull request is still open and a test build is still available from my downloads page.

eugene-r

Walter Schulz

Firmware Version 1.3.6 incorporates the following fix:

1. Corrects a PTP communications vulnerability.
2. Corrects a vulnerability related to firmware update.

Firmware Version 1.3.6 is for cameras with firmware Version 1.3.5. If the camera's firmware is already Version 1.3.6, it is not necessary to update the firmware.

When updating the firmware of the camera, please review the instructions thoroughly before you download the firmware.

Notes:
- Once the EOS 5D Mark III camera is updated to Version 1.3.3 (or later), it cannot be restored to a previous firmware Version (Version 1.0.7 through 1.2.3).

"is for cameras with firmware Version 1.3.5."
? I'm convinced "or earlier" is just missing. They don't really suggest to use a staged update for cams with older firmware ... I hope.

And as always with 5D Mark III after 1.3.x: Can someone test if downgrading from 1.3.6 via Canon Utility is still working?

flostro

I never thougt they would ever work on these old cameras again.
There was a time when Canon added features with Firmware updates,
now we have to hope they didn't "close the door" with this one.

Kevin Ke

Hello !
How can i to updater canon 5d MK3 v1.3.3 use ML  ? I havn`t found the 1.3.3 firmware , what can i do so i can use  the ML  ?

Walter Schulz

There are ML builds for 1.1.3, 1.2.3 and 1.3.4.
You can install any of these firmware versions by using EOS Utility (for downgrade/rollback) or just in cam (for update). See https://builds.magiclantern.fm/
If you install 1.3.6 you are stuck because there is no option available to downgrade/rollback but CPS. And not all of them are willing to do that.

trang

1.3.6? i didnt know this one. I am still at 1.3.5 and was wondering if I can install 1.3.4 on a sd card and use it from there whilst keeping 1.3.5  OR do I have to downgrade?

dbur

So I don't see where to get anything after 5D3123.  Where can I get the later versions that work with newer Canon FW updates?

Thanks.

Walter Schulz

https://web.archive.org/web/20200622002229/https://bitbucket.org/daniel_fort/magic-lantern/downloads/magiclantern-Nightly.2018Jul04.5D3134.zip

But why? Danne's builds offer more and are actually maintained.