Time to Render 720p RAW dmg in AE

Started by olbojo, February 01, 2017, 08:25:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

olbojo

I just build up a new PC and try to figure out, if it was worth the upgrade. Maybe some of you guys can check, what their time is.

I had a Movie shot in 1280*720 (25p) RAW on Canon 7D. When I render this in After Effects it does 5sec -6sec of footage in 1 minute. Did it about 5 times and the avarage was 5 sec 8 frames of rendered footage.

I have a z270H Strix Asus Mainboard with a 7700k i7 and a Palit 1070 GameRock and 32GB Kingston DDR4.

Can some people test, how fast they are rending (in timeline - not export, just to get a previewrender)? And would be nice if they do with 1280*720, cause I cant shoot in FullHD ;)

Cheers

Walter Schulz

Mass storage: SSD/HDD/hybrid? RAID? ...
RAM disk in use?
Windows version?

olbojo

the files are on a SSD Samsung 850 pro on the z270h Asus with 6GB Sata, but I tested it on another Harddrive WD Red 3TB and it did not change the time much. So I thought the Harddrive is not a real variable for the time needed, seems to me, that other things are the bottleneck here. no RAM Disk btw.

Windows 7 64bit and After Effects 2017 installed.

Other Things important maybe?

ilia3101

(reluctantly) Set the resolution 1280x720 and took a 15 second 25fps video on my Mark II.
Staring at the clock, 8 seconds of ram preview had been rendered after 1 minute, computer is a (now crap) iMac with an i5, either 3470, 4460 or 4570, mac does not reveal such info, gpu is some Nvidia '675mx'

Don't know if my result helps because my After Effects is only CS6 ;)

reddeercity

How did you exact the Raw DNG ?
Are you using Virtual dng's from MLVFS ?
How much Vram are you dedicating to the timeline preview from your video card ?
Do have Cuda select for GPU or Open GL ?
If it's on auto for gpu you may not be using cuda .
Plus how much computer ram are letting A.E. use ?
I have A.E. CS6 and I set ram to max. , I reserve about 1.5 GB of ram for the system .

Edit: How much Disk cache in A.E. do you have ?
make it as large as possible e.g. 50GB , 75GB etc... .

Flocksock

Try Davinci Resolve. AE sucks wit raw.
Resolve use GPU power.