Timecode referance solution with Magic Lantern

Started by Tronnalzm, February 15, 2017, 08:47:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tronnalzm

Hello Everyone.

Allow me to introduce myself. I am a new user at the Magic Lantern forum, but have been reading alot about it, and testing it a lot. Still much to learn and whatnot.
The developers has done a hell of a job. Cudos!!

So to the topic everynoe wants to know about. We have earlier heard that we can forget about timecodes with ML. Also i did for a while.

For my workflow i use MLViewer and raw2cdng and further post in after effects and premiere. I try to stay away from DaVinci since its a new workflow style for me, and honestly i dont get the node-workflow.

But back to the timecode; I were in a productionsituation where we had no slate or sound-videosync capabilities. My card seem to be choking and i can capture about a minute or so of footage before it cuts. The cards i use are LExar 1066x, their first model.

I struggled bigtime syncing the footage manually, so i used my creativity. I used the specific capture time; UTC recorded with the MLRAW file.

On import i separate my import files in different card folders. To further the controll of time.

Back to the UTC in the ML raw file. When the files are "graded" with CameraRaw and imported online(has to be online to change TC) i set to change the timecode. The first image in this post is the first image in the videoproject.

This is how you can change the TC's

Now to sync these up you could use a adjustmentlayer on top of all files in the project or a "black video" file. And add a timecode effect to display TC. On this clip you use the first UTC you have, and on every each other clip you ad a second timecode with each respective TC from the MLraw file. Then sync up.

I am in a hurry and will reply as fast as humanly possible.

Hope this helps

Thanks for great software.

Best Regards

TS