Dead EOS 7D camera after firmware update 2.0.6 - uninstalling Magic Lantern

Started by hrpaez, February 13, 2017, 12:52:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hrpaez

I think I did a huge amateur mistake and now my camera is dead. Sorry for my ignorance but I need help!!!

Almost one year ago after installing correctly ML on my 7D and used it for a while with no problems I wanted to uninstall it for selling it,  and now everything went wrong, the camera is totally dead.

First of all I tried my other memory cards with no ML, and the camera also didn't started up with the original firmware. Before installing ML the camera turned on even with no memory cards, but after ML installed that stoped happening.

So I started to uninstall ML. The only way my camera started was with the AUTOEXEC.bin file and the "ML" folder in the memory card. Without those files the camera was dead. No blinking light - totally dead.
So to my freshly formatted card, I dragged again the autoexec.bin and ml folder to the MC, and the camera started up normally.

Following the official ML page uninstalling instructions I accessed to main menu, and clicked on the Update Camara Firmware.
A message appeared telling that update couldn't be made without a firmware file inside the MC.

So I used the firmware 2.0.6 that was the one available in canon.com. I dragged the firmware file to the MC and now yes, by following the instructions, the update started and was installed. Everything looked fine.
A message showed "Firmware updated correctly" after 100% installation.

After that, the camera died and never turned on again.

I did put again the files autoexec.bin and ML folder to see if with that it would help, and nothing...
After doing all this I remembered, that ML only worked with a lower firmware than 2.0.6, i think it was 2.0.3.... :(
So I think this was the mistake and what makes my camera dead, or maybe other reason that you can help me get to know about! Please if anyone can help me I would be so grateful! Im really new on this and need any idea to get my camera back.... If its not too late...
Thank you!

Walter Schulz

First locate ROM0.BIN and ROM1.BIN on ML card. Backup those files. If done: Backup them again to a different folder.

Take a spare card and format using a cardreader.
Remove battery.
Insert card and close card compartment door.
Insert battery and close door.
Turn on cam. Does the cam startup now?

hrpaez

Thank you very much for your reply... just did what you said and didn¡t work.... :-\

Walter Schulz

Take your ML card and backup Autoexec.bin. Copy diagnostic Autoexec.bin from 1. Portable display test to card and try starting up. Insert card first, battery after. Report results.

hrpaez

Thank you again Walter, just tried with the -diagnostic- autoexec.bin in card following your instructions.... still nothing, sad :(

RenatoPhoto

If you formated you card then the bootflag has been removed.  Try setting the bootflag on the card again
edit:.. and installing the ML files.
and you can use EOScard to set the flag on the card.. http://pel.hu/eoscard/
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

hrpaez

Thanks Renato for your help, the thing is the boot software you sent me works only in Microsoft? I cant do it on my Mac... :(

hrpaez

Walter Im happy to tell you that after many attempts the thing that worked was your advice to copy the "diagnostic" autoexec.bin wich made the camera run again. :) Now the camera runs normally with the original canon firmware, even without the card. So it looks like it returned to the original settings. The problem now is The SD card. After formatting the card on my Mac, the camera runs, and recognizes the card, and asks me to format it from the camera itself. I did that, but the card now doesn't saves the photos or videos I take. Any advice on this will be of great help! Thank you so much and everyone who helped me with your advice!!!!! really happy now :)

Walter Schulz

SD-card? Most SD-to-CF adapters are crap and I suspect adapter being the very cause of the problems you want to solve.

hrpaez

Thank you Walter for your answer, now problem totally solved! Thanks again :D :)
HRP