Development Thread: Footage for Mac (New Mac app for MLV)

Started by martinhering, February 12, 2017, 09:27:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frenchps49

Torisimo22

Batch processing in the old app would be AMAZING!! @martinhering Thanks for the dedication and hard work!

martinhering

Unfortunately I won't be updating the old app anymore, because it is not GPL compliant and the code is too old. New ML codebase is in the MacLantern project on Github. But Colorcast will do everything that the old app did plus batch processing and a lot more.
5D Mark III, EOS M, 700D

martinhering

Also since Colorcast and the old app is using Apple's Core Image RAW processing, I'm happy to tell you that this RAW engine got lots of improvements in 10.13 High Sierra, like moire reduction and improvements to the demosaic. I quickly compared it with Lightroom and the improvements are impressive!
5D Mark III, EOS M, 700D

Lars Steenhoff

Will the new app have batch export from mlv to dng with embedded color temperature data?

I love to be able to see my shots after a shoot and quickly set white balance with a color picker or temp number  and export to dng for further editing in resolve.

martinhering

Quote from: Lars Steenhoff on January 25, 2018, 08:15:57 PM
Will the new app have batch export from mlv to dng with embedded color temperature data?

I won't be adding CinemaDNG export to Colorcast, since this is a Magic Lantern specific feature. You can already do that with mlvdump as far as I know. The feature however can be added to the MacLantern open-source project. If anybody wants to help with that, I am open to collaborators.
5D Mark III, EOS M, 700D

Lars Steenhoff

Then please tell me what are the benefits of using color cast if i cant use mlv to dng

I could just use switch to process the files to dng and go to resolve directly.

What am i missing?
thanks

martinhering

QuoteThen please tell me what are the benefits of using color cast if i cant use mlv to dng

Colorcast is a replacement for Resolve (not actually, only for casual and quick use like Youtube).
5D Mark III, EOS M, 700D

frenchps49

Can you tell me what codecs are supported on import ?

martinhering

Quote from: frenchps49 on January 30, 2018, 01:07:24 PM
Can you tell me what codecs are supported on import ?

What do you mean with codec exactly? Right now everything that works with QuickTime (Prores/H.264/H.265) should work. I am working on Magic Lantern and Cinema DNG support. If you are trying to import 10bit footage from a GH5, that won't work yet, because QuickTime does not support the High 10 profile. I think Apple won't add that, since for 10bit compressed content, they are now using the H.265 codec. If you do that, you first have to convert the footage with ffmpeg to Prores 422 or 4444. Direct support for 10bit H.264 footage is planned, but that will take some more time.
5D Mark III, EOS M, 700D

frenchps49

Well I can import H264 and Prores but on export H264 becomes sort of posterised and strangely shaky and with Prores nothing is exported...

martinhering

Quote from: frenchps49 on January 31, 2018, 04:04:52 PM
Well I can import H264 and Prores but on export H264 becomes sort of posterised and strangely shaky and with Prores nothing is exported...

What app and system are you using again?
5D Mark III, EOS M, 700D

martinhering

I am nearly ready. Will post a test version tomorrow!

5D Mark III, EOS M, 700D

frenchps49

Quote from: martinhering on February 01, 2018, 03:12:44 PM
What app and system are you using again?

High Sierra, Imac 2017 Radeon pro 580
H264 shot with Filmic Pro on iPhone
Prores 422 on Shogun
I checked H265 on my iPhone with Apple's video app and I get the same result as with H264.

whysodifficult

Thank you very much, this is impressive. I tried MLV to H.264, it was great. (btw, why don't apps export in H.265 yet?) Film emulation works better than my LUTs (that are very inconvenient to choose - you don't see the result immediately like in film emulation).

I still use your old app Footage to convert MLV to MOV, H.264 and CinemaDNG. It crashes often but works). Colorcast seems almost twice slower on my latest highest macbookpro high sierra.

If you'll add cdng, then i will no longer need Footage). Thank you!

Though it doesn't replace Resolve. Even for youtube you edit videos - cut, add sound. Also i think adjustment of highlights and shadows and other things - it looks much harsher than, say, in mentioned Lightroom. I use it for my experimental videos, but i can't see how i can use it for posts.

Anyways, i'm an amateur, i'm still struggling figuring out all these video apps. Resolve is just beyond my understanding even in simple things. Thanks to such apps like yours or Danne's, i at least can convert simple MLV file in couple of clicks.

BTW is there any way to zoom in footage while editing? And i can't play it, as i see.

frenchps49

Still no luck with H264 in 0.4 (first frame fine then darks gets darker and darker to black). But works fine with mlv on a quick try.

martinhering

@frenchps49

QuoteStill no luck with H264 in 0.4 (first frame fine then darks gets darker and darker to black). But works fine with mlv on a quick try.

Can you contact me here?
http://colorcast-app.com/support
5D Mark III, EOS M, 700D

whysodifficult

martinhering
Unfortunately Colorcast 0.4 crashes when importing video 3520x1320 2:67:1, 12 bit lossless, 5dM3.

3k works fine. Footage for Mac takes 3.5 fine.

martinhering

@whysodifficult

Can you also please contact me here?
http://colorcast-app.com/support

And if it's possible, please upload the file in question to somewhere where I can download it from.

Thank you.
5D Mark III, EOS M, 700D

whysodifficult

Martin,
Thanks, sorry for late reply, i can't reproduce the problem, unfortunately or fortunately.

I have a question. Probably it's stupid. I like the look that MlRaw Viewer 1.5 shows MLV with by default. Do you have any idea how to reproduce this look in Colorcast 0.5 or Footage for Mac? I tried but it looks different.

As a separate quesdtion, how can i just get MOV file with the exact look as i shot it?

And BTW, i couldn't find C-log (like the Viewer uses) in Colorcast, isn't it there?

Thanks.

frenchps49

Beta has expired. Seems like development has stopped.

hfear

Hey!

What happened to Defringe Highlights? I've looked everywhere for it. I can see it in 3.1 but I can't find it in Colorcast.

henrikolsen

Quote from: frenchps49 on June 18, 2018, 07:40:29 PM
Beta has expired. Seems like development has stopped.

I also get a notice that beta version has expired. Just downloaded Colorcast to test for the first time. Will compare to MLV APP.

davethedude

Martin - way to go!  I have tried every available conversion app or software to get my MLraw files>Pro Res 444 to edit in FCPX and everyone one failed except yours.  Keep up the good work!

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: davethedude on February 07, 2019, 05:14:05 AM
Martin - way to go!  I have tried every available conversion app or software to get my MLraw files>Pro Res 444 to edit in FCPX and everyone one failed except yours.  Keep up the good work!

Not even MLV App?
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109