Development Thread: Footage for Mac (New Mac app for MLV)

Started by martinhering, February 12, 2017, 09:27:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teamsleepkid

Can't be the lens. Looks like clipped highlights. Use the expose to the right hint on the exposure control? I try to get it just over zero not too under not too over...
EOS M

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: Teamsleepkid on April 11, 2017, 01:17:54 AM
Can't be the lens. Looks like clipped highlights. Use the expose to the right hint on the exposure control? I try to get it just over zero not too under not too over...

That's what I was thinking too... Could it also be related to the White Levels being pushed too far (above 15000)?
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

giarcpnw

First off, this app is amazing. Thank you. So much better than the MLV_dump.

Now, with the advancement of the 4k raw and 14bit lossless the issue of Vertical Lines has resurfaced. Looks like no one has addressed I yet in the decoder softwares. I tried mlv-dump, cr2hdr and your latest build. How did you address fixing vertical lines in your older builds? And can you do it for the new 4k raw stuff? Or does the Footage app rely on another engine?

Thanks

Craig

martinhering

QuoteCan't be the lens. Looks like clipped highlights. Use the expose to the right hint on the exposure control? I try to get it just over zero not too under not too over...

I thought so myself. But since I am also seeing this issue in the HDMI monitor, I guess it has something to do with the firmware and not with anything in my development workflow.

QuoteCould it also be related to the White Levels being pushed too far (above 15000)?

I reduced the white levels for testing there is no visible improvement.

I also tested the crop_rec module now. The problem is always around sharp edges to clipped highlights, like lamps or sunlight reflection on water. The problem is not so present when the highlights are a bit out of focus.

Adobe Camera Raw has a defringe tool for magenta and green edges, I am currently trying to add something similar.
5D Mark III, EOS M, 700D

martinhering

@giarcpnw
QuoteNow, with the advancement of the 4k raw and 14bit lossless the issue of Vertical Lines has resurfaced. Looks like no one has addressed I yet in the decoder softwares. I tried mlv-dump, cr2hdr and your latest build. How did you address fixing vertical lines in your older builds? And can you do it for the new 4k raw stuff? Or does the Footage app rely on another engine?

About the vertical stripes problem, I don't get that in most of my shots. I have yet to find an example where the problem is really visible. Can you provide such a file?

[UPDATE]
OK, when I heavily process the image, I can see those stripes. I will add a correction for that. Can take a while though.

5D Mark III, EOS M, 700D

giarcpnw

Yes, it occurs in lights mostly. Here's another example. Although, I'd already applied some luminance noise reduction to hide it a bit. This is a portion of a 3072x1308 frame from the April 6th 4k build. Look at the clouds. When in motion it almost looks like a vertical grain.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6c1hcrw7stm729h/Screen%20Shot%202017-04-11%20at%206.35.25%20AM.png?dl=0

martinhering

@ giarcpnw

Yeah, it's definitely worse with your camera than with mine. Would be awesome, if you could put the mlv file for me somewhere to download.
5D Mark III, EOS M, 700D

FBongcam

This is looking very promising, I really like the UI.

Any chance for Yosemite (10.10) support?

Best Regards,
Filip

giarcpnw

MitchLally

Thanks Martin for the updates!

When you decode the .MLV, do you assign a black and white level to the frames? I've noticed that bright highlights are unrecoverable with the highlight and exposure slider. When I set the white level to 16383 (5D 3) in MLV_DUMP I get the full dynamic range in the highlights (no clipping) on the same shot in resolve or ACR.

Thanks again for your continued development :)

martinhering

@MitchLally

QuoteWhen you decode the .MLV, do you assign a black and white level to the frames? I've noticed that bright highlights are unrecoverable with the highlight and exposure slider. When I set the white level to 16383 (5D 3) in MLV_DUMP I get the full dynamic range in the highlights (no clipping) on the same shot in resolve or ACR.

I am not correcting white or black level so far. Just taking whatever the MLV file says.
Could you please send me two DNG files that show the effect you are talking about? One with the corrected white level and one without the correction? Thank you.
5D Mark III, EOS M, 700D

martinhering

New Build 0.3 (141)

Changes in this version:

• Added showing Cold and Hot Pixels
  • Added Metadata tab in properties
  • Added Broom tab in Properties for fixing defects functions
  • Added decoding Lossless JPEG
  • Removed old "Discolored Highlights" filter
  • Added new "Defringe Highlights" filter to reduce Magenta around clipped highlights
  • Added "Fix Dead Pixels" raw filter
  • Improved window layout on small displays
  • Improved user interface icons
  • Added "Fix Vertical Banding" raw filter

https://rink.hockeyapp.net/apps/3ed6ecf60e684239a6aba3d407cf3935/app_versions/77
5D Mark III, EOS M, 700D

giarcpnw

Amazing..... Thanks.

You need a donation page... We mac owners owe you.

C

12georgiadis

You rock. Thx a lot and yes put a donation page/link

micster

This is absolutely fantastic. However, is it possible to add the ability to remove the pink dots that are seen in 650D and EOSM files? http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6658.0

beauchampy

This may seem like a dumb question, and apologies if it's already been answered.. But how do I playback the footage? All I am able to do is scrub?

giarcpnw

You can't playback footage. Just scrub through. Works for me. Let's me check framing and if it looks good you can output a quicktime mov from the app if you need to check playback.

Lars Steenhoff

Is there a way to zoom in on the footage 1:1 pixel?  I would like to do this for previewing my sharpening and noise reduction settings.

beauchampy

Quote from: martinhering on April 12, 2017, 08:46:21 AM
@MitchLally

I am not correcting white or black level so far. Just taking whatever the MLV file says.
Could you please send me two DNG files that show the effect you are talking about? One with the corrected white level and one without the correction? Thank you.

Could you add options to manually modify black / white levels? I find if I shoot with 12-bit and clip the exposure, the highlights go pink. The only fix is to set the white level to something like 12500 using MLV Dump (or cr2hdr).

Here's a sample clip - 12bit 50p 3x3 1920x672 to show you what I'm talking about.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-GY59oq1k7eS1FaUTg2U2ZjWDQ

giarcpnw

Quote from: beauchampy on April 18, 2017, 10:09:45 AM
Could you add options to manually modify black / white levels? I find if I shoot with 12-bit and clip the exposure, the highlights go pink. The only fix is to set the white level to something like 12500 using MLV Dump (or cr2hdr).

Here's a sample clip - 12bit 50p 3x3 1920x672 to show you what I'm talking about.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-GY59oq1k7eS1FaUTg2U2ZjWDQ

If you choose to Defringe Highlights it repairs the pink highlights. It in the top right corner. Choose the little paint brush icon, you'll see the options.

lostfeliz

When you defringe the pink highlights it mainly takes care of the clipped. THere's still lots of pink edging showing up after I use the tool. Defringe, of course, isn't supposed to be for this. Other than this, the new build is looking good.

What are folks mostly using regarding color space? the rec. 709 conversion does a good job for quick tests. But for more nuanced grading are people mostly using C-log?

togg

Tried it today again out of curiosity, a few bugs or simply things that I don't understand:

1) How to play the video? :P

2) When in full screen the name of the app is off centered.

3) The hot pixel correction didn't work for me, I just tried to highlight the option should I do something else?

4) The exported dngs have a different colour and exposure level than the one out of mlv_dump/mlrawviewer, is this by design?

beauchampy

Request: The ability to que up a conversion list and duplicate settings would be awesome.

beauchampy

Just did a quick test converting to C-log ProRes 422HQ and using the 'C100, C-log' profile in Film Convert - colour is bang on! This is a serious workflow!

TechnoPilot

Hey martinhering, this is looking really impressive and perfectly on time with some plans I'm working on for moving into a raw workflow with my 70D, however I'm back on OSX 10.10.5 on my beastly 4770K Hackintosh and wondering if there might be any chance you could port the code back to Yosemite like I saw someone else enquire about.  I know you already dropped it back one to El Capitan, but I'm wondering if it would be possible to bring it back one more so I can jump in on the testing.  Thanks in advance, I eagerly await testing out this awesome looking app!
Cameras: Canon 70D - 70D.111B (Beta 2B)
Lenses: Sigma 18-35mm F1.8, Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 II
Video Gear: Shure Lenshopper VP83F, Rode Filmmaker Kit, DSLR Controller w/ TPLink MR3040