Development Thread: Footage for Mac (New Mac app for MLV)

Started by martinhering, February 12, 2017, 09:27:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lars Steenhoff

can you make a 4k output option?

timbytheriver

@martinhering Thanks Martin!

Crashes and pink tint now fixed in El Capitan 10.11.6

However, playback at any real speed of 14bit files not happening on my system MacMini mid 2011, 16gb Ram. Might it be my AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB graphics card? I don't have any 10/12bit files yet to test.

Great looking app!

Tim
5D3 1.1.3
5D2 2.1.2

martinhering

@Lars Steenhoff

Quotecan you make a 4k output option?

Do you have any 4k MLV file? I can't produce something like that, because my 5D3 is only doing Full-HD.

@timbytheriver

QuoteCrashes and pink tint now fixed in El Capitan 10.11.6

When does it crash?

QuoteHowever, playback at any real speed of 14bit files not happening on my system MacMini mid 2011

Playback is not possible at all at the moment. Or do you mean playback of the exported movie? MacMini from 2011 should do a Full-HD no problem. If you are exporting to Prores, maybe you're hard disk speed is the problem. Maybe you need an SSD or export to H.264.
5D Mark III, EOS M, 700D

Lars Steenhoff

for 4k i mean an debayer from 1080 5d3 mlv to 4k mov.
This means the output files are upsampled during he debayering resulting in slightly higher quality than doing an upsample from a 1080 mov file.

basicly a 200 % upsample.

This makes for a nice 4k workflow, the resulting files will fit well into a standard 4k project.

timbytheriver

@martinhering

QuoteWhen does it crash?

I meant: Crashes are fixed in El Capitan. i.e. It doesn't crash! :)

QuotePlayback is not possible at all at the moment.

I understand now. I thought it was a player also. No worries! :)

Thanks!
5D3 1.1.3
5D2 2.1.2

marcb

Hi!
The app crashes on 10.11 when I start it :
"The last time you opened Footage, it unexpectedly quit while reopening windows. Do you want to try to reopen its windows again?" and after that "Footage quit unexpectedly."
The app is a great idea by the way!

ilia3101

Version 89 finally doesn't crash!!! Sadly pink cast is on every video I try, I'm using a 5D Mark II and OSX 10.11. Black level at 0 I'm guessing, @martinhering do you need sample files?

squig

I'm getting random black cubes on the 85 build (Mac Pro, 10.11.4, GTX 980). @Teamsleepkid said the sharpness filter was generating white boxes.

dmilligan

Quote from: martinhering on March 14, 2017, 12:07:11 PM
Do you have any 4k MLV file? I can't produce something like that, because my 5D3 is only doing Full-HD.
Yes you can. Crop mode will give you 3.5K. Using the intervalometer with full resolution silent pictures (silent.mo) and the MLV format will yield a 5K+ MLV.

Teamsleepkid

@squig those black boxes look exactly like the white boxes I'm getting. on the bright side id say this is the fastest and best looking I've ever seen coming out on my magic lantern files. i tested this new version and i was blown away. the grain looks way tighter. closer to 35mm film than anything I've seen. i exported some 4444 prores and took that into resolve to add some sharpening and its starting to look very detailed almost looks like my a7sii. so great job @martinhering! id say fix the sharpness so it doesn't have the white boxes. and try to add a batch export and it will be solid gold.
EOS M

squig

I just checked the new build (89), same random black cube bug when using the sharpness filter. The sharpness filter appears to degrade the image even on a minimal setting, so probably best to use another app to sharpen for now. It's fast, but I'm still getting higher quality renders from ACR/After Effects, but I need to play with it a bit more. It's definitely a good option for creating proxys.

lostfeliz

I'm getting an error in Premiere Pro CC (2017) when I use ProRes 444 footage exported from Footage. It's playing back and looks fine but I keep getting this error:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zfga7wc3875bbo8/Screenshot%202017-03-14%2020.23.37.png?dl=0

reddeercity

Do I search for "Low Level Exception in  Premiere Pro " Seem to be a issue with Adobe you see what I mean when you Google it .
It would be wise to check your systems GPU , is the driver update ? are you on the last CC ? OSX up to date ? check pp preferences delete any caches etc... .
a few things to try: run repair disk on the osx drive , delete/unstall Premiere Pro CC then clear all traces of adobe
"Trash Preferences"   
QuoteWhen launching Premiere Pro from a Mac , hold down two keys while launching.
This automatically throws away Premiere's preferences.
•Press Shift+Option
continue holding the keys until the splash screen appears.
You will know you successfully trashed preferences when the splash screen doesn't have projects listed.

Also try different ProRes favors , 422LT ,422,422HQ,4444 does still do it ?
What about FFmpeg ProRes is that a problem ?
Do different codec cause this ?
It you turn off all the filters e.g. color correction, retiming, etc...  still a problem ?

You need to give more information about your setup/pipeline , as no one eles has reported problems with the apple prores from the footage.app
One more thing what 3rd party app do you have installed , MPEG STREAMCLIP by chance ? it's been know to cause problems.

dfort

Tried your latest version but it wouldn't launch. Checked out earlier versions and they won't launch either. Strange because the one I downloaded a while back (February 21) used to work but no more. Is there a preference file that needs to be deleted?

Using 10.12.3 on a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)

martinhering

@dfort @marcb

If the app crashes on launch, try to delete this file:
~/Library/Application Support/Vemedio/Footage/Database-v1.bplist

Could be that I messed something up during database layout migration. I need to change the internal database format anyway. It's more like a prototype as of now. You could also send me the crash logs located at: ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticsReports starting with "Footage...". Normally, I get the crash reports automatically using Hockey, but when the app doesn't launch, the Hockey framework can't upload the crash reports.

@squig @Teamsleepkid

About the sharpness filter: Since it has problems on some machines (not mine), I will try to replace it with my own implementation. It's not a good filter anyway. It increases noise by a lot, because it doesn't seem to have edge detection. What do you think about this method?
https://www.gimp.org/tutorials/Smart_Sharpening/

Seems to give better results.
5D Mark III, EOS M, 700D

squig

dfort

Quote from: martinhering on March 15, 2017, 08:11:45 AM
If the app crashes on launch, try to delete this file:
~/Library/Application Support/Vemedio/Footage/Database-v1.bplist

Thanks, that worked. Though no crash logs were saved.

Teamsleepkid

looks like a good idea. whatever sharpening you can get working ill take lol. right now I'm putting the prores back into resolve for finishing. it would be sweet to just stay in your app. scopes would be cool. and batch render. then i won't even need resolve anymore.
EOS M

martinhering

Here is some footage I took with my 5D Mark III today (Full-HD 12bit). Rendered to ProRes 4444 in Footage for Mac and then treated colors with FilmConvert. I definitely want to be able to ditch FilmConvert some day. Working on it :-)

http://fs.footageformac.com/?dir=clips

(Sorry for the micro shakes in the footage. It was very windy today and I don't have the best tripod).
5D Mark III, EOS M, 700D

Lars Steenhoff

If there was Custom LUT support you could load the filmconvert LUT into the footage app

togg

I get this:

By the way, extraction of dngs isn't planned right? Especially compressed dngs as in MlRawViewer. I was wondering, I don't know how this things work, why didn't you kept developing that one and started from scratch?

reddeercity

This doesn't really help , what is the bit depth ? what Cam ? what nightly ?
Yes your black level off  , I'm betting it 3x crop mlv_lite ? it's a known problem with 5d2 use full mlv
this easy to fix with mlv_dump

reddeercity

@martinhering , tested the latest version I can confirm that 10bit mlv raw are seen at the correct level , no longer dark by 3-4 stops .
and I can confirm the any sharpness added in "noise reduction" or "presence" do cause white random square blocks , by resetting the
sharpness to default levels blocks are gone. One very big improvement I notice was the reduction in aliasing and moire patterns  8) .
So if the sharpness filter bug could be fix or replaced  with a better filter/system that would be make this truly a great part to any
MAC pipeline , for anyone in a pro workflow this is a must have Tool (specially for DI persons) . Look forward to see improvement & updates .

Edit: My System is MP 5.1 , macOS Sierria 10.12.3 dual quad 2.66Ghz CPU's 24GB ram , Nvidia GTX 570 2.5GB Vram
Also note the problem with white block was also present with my original MAC video card ati 5770 1GB Vram

lostfeliz

I was able to do more testing. The footage was shot with a 5Diii using a recent nightly build. Using most recent: OS X and Premiere Pro CC versions running on a 2013 Mac Pro with dual D500 video cards.

I cleared caches, deleted preferences this afternoon. Also ran disk repair. I'm not going to have time to delete my Adobe CC from my system and re-install.

It's not every clip is causing the error. I took one of the MLV clips that was causing the error, imported the DNGs into Resolve and exported it. I had no problem with it in Premiere.

Just now, I re-exported the clip with the latest build of Footage. I exported 4444 and 422. The 4444 clip gives me the same error. The 422 clip does not.

I was able to export the timeline that had the error prone clips. It plays fine. It also re-imports into Premiere and plays in a timeline without error.

reddeercity

@lostfeliz can you upload the problem mlv if not too big to something like Google drive or some thing like that so I & other can check it  .