Development Thread: Footage for Mac (New Mac app for MLV)

Started by martinhering, February 12, 2017, 09:27:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frenchps49

Excellent. It's so fast ... The possibility to adjust the picture is just brill. Thank you so much.

martinhering

There was a bug with exporting files without audio. Has been fixed. Please update using the menu item "Check for Updates". I am also getting crash logs during reading of mlv files from disk. Can anybody supply sample files that show this behaviour? Send the link via PM. Thank you.
5D Mark III, EOS M, 700D

martinhering

QuoteI have some suggestions: [edit:] toggle grade on/off, reset grade, zooming in preview window (to check noise, sharpness)

You can reset any slider to the default value by double clicking in it. For all the other stuff, I am on it.
5D Mark III, EOS M, 700D

steeth

Sorry to ask, but any chance you´ll be able to make it available for OSX El Capitan (10.11.6)? I can´t upgrade any of my computers to Sierra due to software and plugins I use for work that isn´t compatible with Sierra yet, and would love to try out this new seemingly awesome conversion software for Magic Lantern you´ve created :)

beauchampy

Quote from: steeth on February 21, 2017, 03:37:34 PM
Sorry to ask, but any chance you´ll be able to make it available for OSX El Capitan (10.11.6)? I can´t upgrade any of my computers to Sierra due to software and plugins I use for work that isn´t compatible with Sierra yet, and would love to try out this new seemingly awesome conversion software for Magic Lantern you´ve created :)

+1 I was just about to ask exactly the same question..

MitchLally

Wooow! So impressed with this so far. Fast too! Love the controls and the highlight recovery is amazing – just did a test of over exposing on purpose – much better than resolve. Can you add a hotkey for removing files from the left pane (del)? A countdown timer on the encoding dialogue box would be snazzy. Only 14bit raw works for me so far – 12bit looks 2 stops under and 10bit looks very dark with pink highlights (5D3). Thanks martinhering!

martinhering

QuoteSorry to ask, but any chance you´ll be able to make it available for OSX El Capitan (10.11.6)? I can´t upgrade any of my computers to Sierra due to software and plugins I use for work that isn´t compatible with Sierra yet, and would love to try out this new seemingly awesome conversion software for Magic Lantern you´ve created

Should be possible.

QuoteCan you add a hotkey for removing files from the left pane (del)?

Yes, no problem.

QuoteOnly 14bit raw works for me so far – 12bit looks 2 stops under and 10bit looks very dark with pink highlights (5D3)

OK, I'll check it out.
5D Mark III, EOS M, 700D

martinhering

QuoteOnly 14bit raw works for me so far – 12bit looks 2 stops under and 10bit looks very dark with pink highlights (5D3)

One more question. How do I set 12bit and 10bit in camera settings? I also have a 5d3. Can't find the settings. Do you maybe have some sample files?
5D Mark III, EOS M, 700D

Walter Schulz

10/12-bit RAW recording has status "experimental".
Top of page -> Downloads
"Downloads"-drop down menu -> Experiments -> 10/12-bit ...

a1ex

Don't want to be that guy, but we already had some bad experience with another post-processing app developer. So, the inevitable questions:

Quote from: g3gg0 on May 31, 2015, 12:48:06 AM
looks promising, nice.

some questions about your code:
a) is it open source?
b) does it use any of ML's code?
c) do you include header files like mlv.h?

martinhering

Quotea) is it open source?

No, not at the moment.

Quoteb) does it use any of ML's code?

No, it doesn't.

Quotec) do you include header files like mlv.h?

Yes, I do. Do you want me to remove that file? Since it only includes the structs, I figured that this is not a problem. But, if you guys insist, I'd remove the file and do the parsing differently.

Here are some evidence, that I am not simply using the GPL code:

- My app is 64bit, Magic Lantern is 32bit only
- My app does not use any of the GPL raw processing, it uses Apple's CIRawFilter and a bunch of Core Image filters to enhance the image.
5D Mark III, EOS M, 700D

frenchps49

F..k. Another one bites the dust. I hope you continue developing it differently.

reddeercity

@martinhering , thanks downloading now i'll test it out and report back .
Finally a MAC app that rivals MLVProducer (PC App , even thou it works with wine) With proper Camera Raw adjustment.
I'll need to shoot some low light scenes and see how it works .  8)

dfort

@martinhering

Just an idea but would it be possible to create a plugin or something that will allow MLV files to be opened directly in editing apps like Final Cut Pro, Premiere, Resolve -- maybe even After Effects? Also, instead of having to render to a QuickTime file from these editing systems how about exporting DNG sequences so that there is greater creative control in color grading?

BTW--I feel your pain. Years ago I did some consulting for Apple and got hit with the reality of proprietary software. Of course open source doesn't mean that you can't sell it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Business_models_for_open-source_software

reddeercity

Only Runs on OS X 10.12  & up ?   :( to bad had hight hopes  i'm on Yoesmite 10.10.5 MP 4.1 & MP 1.1 (Had to hack the boot loader to get 10.10.5 on mp1.1 a 32/64bit thing)
Quote from: dfort on February 21, 2017, 10:47:56 PM
@martinhering
Just an idea but would it be possible to create a plugin or something that will allow MLV files to be opened directly in editing apps like Final Cut Pro

Oh , i was thinking about that very thing last night . But instead of MLV ( FYI  FFmpeg supports mlv 14bit raw but has a issue with black levels, green cast) DPX .
I had some success but qt quick generator plugin would not alway generate image preview , did have the image sequence recognize in fcpx as dpx
and could import but black image (no Preview) it's was loosely base on Glue tools for old fcp7 but i use open source  dpx4mac .
With dpx it would easy to grade and FCPX can export dpx . I use to love working with dpx when i have access to Smoke 2013 a few years ago ,
i did try the new Smoke 2015 but licensing was or still is pricey but i do love Autodesk Smoke that for sure it my next choice to FCPX .
Sorry off topic  , MLV would be better thou (Raw) maybe a plugin like RED has for FCPX with camera raw & Log apply etc... .
Or a way to to support FFmpeg on FCPX or Adobe App on MAC and fix the debayer color problem .

OR a thought if we could import all raw footage in this app (Grade, LUT , etc..) and some how Export a fcpxml ,xml , edl (maybe proxy) then edit etc... then re-link to the raw mlv render out project . 
Thinking out loud :D

frenchps49

If you continue developing this app and I hope you do (keeping export as ProRes), how do you remove clips from the left side of the app once they have been converted ?

martinhering

@dfort

I am all for open source. The problem with open sourcing end-user software is that some people just take the code, compile it, put it on the App Store and sell it for a couple of bucks. There are lots and lots of scams like that on the App Store.

QuoteJust an idea but would it be possible to create a plugin or something that will allow MLV files to be opened directly in editing apps like Final Cut Pro, Premiere, Resolve -- maybe even After Effects?

That might be possible, but than I am opening myself up to even more licensing issues. Will look into that though.

@reddeercity

QuoteOnly Runs on OS X 10.12  & up ?

I am on it. Will port it back to Yosemite. Shouldn't be a problem.

@frenchps49

Quotehow do you remove clips from the left side of the app once they have been converted

You can select the file and then choose "Delete" from the "Edit" menu. This action can also be undone afterwards. I'll add the "Del" as a hot key.
5D Mark III, EOS M, 700D

Lars Steenhoff

More ideas:

- view clip full screen    ( press F to toggle between full and windowed)
- mark in and out points  ( press I/O )
- next/previous clip shortcut
- Next frame previous frame shortcut

kontrakatze

It looks very nice. But I'm missing the vertical stripes fix and a parade. Maybe you could put that on your list. Right now setting exposure is quite a guessing game.
But nonetheless, looks very nice.

Regards

edpollei

Oh my I love this!!! Ive been dealing with the ugliest of ugly MLV processors, and this is just so "appley" I love it! I don't know if you already have this, but I do need some way to batch process all of my files (export) preferably being able to batch white balance as well

Thanks, Love your app! its really amazing! Ed.

reddeercity

@martinhering , thanks can't wait to try this on Yoesmite

budafilms

martinhering

5D Mark III, EOS M, 700D

budafilms

martinhering

@budafilms The problem with the image is that there is insufficient information in the color channels. Red and blue is clipped and only green has some information left. When you adjust the whitebalance, the highlights are now being moved to magenta. I think there is a filter for highlight reconstruction needed. Looking into that.
5D Mark III, EOS M, 700D