Firmware Update/Downdate?

Started by dfort, February 11, 2017, 02:58:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Schulz

Are you looking for 5DS/5DS R or 5D (classic)? I don't think pelican ever hosted 5DS firmware. 5D: https://web.archive.org/web/20150304055813/https://pel.hu/eoscard or other snapshots.

Apollo7

I do think it should be okay for the card as it's not being read/written on, so technically shouldn't be different from it being removed as usual. As far as the camera being powered on goes, the lack of power should therefore be minimal and non damaging (same scenario as if you are removing the card say from a card reader plugged into your tablet/computer etc.)

And yea, the battery door trick is definitely a neat idea, let's you take things nice and easy :-)

Quote from: a1ex on April 16, 2020, 10:21:01 PM
Identified a tiny risk - with the original procedure, you will be removing the card while it's powered on (edited the original post). Canon bootloader unmounts the card *after* the decryption, right before executing the firmware updating code; that is, after those ~ 10 seconds when you can remove the card. While it's probably OK, I can imagine some cards may not like a sudden loss of power, so there is some slight possibility of hardware damage (correct me if I'm wrong).

Apollo7

A1ex & Walter I would pay good money to be there when this gets discussed in Canon hahaha

ilia3101

He did have 5Ds firmware: https://web.archive.org/web/20180716140322/http://pel.hu/eoscard/

I downloaded it a few weeks ago!

Gonna try this tomorrow.

a1ex

Quote from: Apollo7 on April 16, 2020, 11:15:28 PM
I do think it should be okay for the card as it's not being read/written on, so technically shouldn't be different from it being removed as usual.

Right, just checked. My card reader does not power off the card after safely removing it (I thought it does, but tested with a WiFi-enabled SD card), and found no evidence stating that removing a card while powered on is electrically unsafe. No writing takes place while loading the FIR file (some drivers might have written a "dirty" bit to the filesystem, or changed the last access time when reading a file, but it's not the case here - tested). So it's probably safe, as long as the card is removed after the LED turns off. With the CF card, the LED does not turn on in the first place, which makes the procedure tricky.

When inserting the second card, it will stay powered on for a few seconds, before it will be taken care of. It will be power-cycled before mounting, i.e. after the decryption, so it's probably OK, too.

There is some room for mistakes, though. Just being pedantic, as we are playing with expensive equipment of other users.

Updated the installation instructions on the download page; still open to suggestions.

ilia3101

a1ex

Got a report from a user who tried to downgrade from 1.3.6 to either 1.1.3 or 1.2.3 (he tried both versions, a few times each). The upgrade apparently succeeded and showed a confirmation screen (update is complete 1.3.6 ->1.1.3 / 1.2.3), but the camera was rebooting back into 1.3.6. He used the initial method (card swapping), with a SD and CF card (that's what he had). The failed update was jumping from ~ 49% right 100% (video).

Solved by trying the "battery door" method. A successful upgrade/downgrade should take about 4 minutes. The failed one took about 1 minute.

So, the 1.3.6 updater code (aka the "card swapping" method) is probably not the best choice for downgrading, although it did work for some users.

Apollo7

It looks like using different cards can be an issue for the card swapping method, I have further updated the tutorial on your and other users findings
so it now suggests people use the battery door method for anything outside the "SD+SD" scenario

Also updated the list of compatible cameras, if anybody does any testing with different models please let me know the results and I will update the list

Quote from: a1ex on April 17, 2020, 03:16:03 PM
Got a report from a user who tried to downgrade from 1.3.6 to either 1.1.3 or 1.2.3 (he tried both versions, a few times each). The upgrade apparently succeeded and showed a confirmation screen (update is complete 1.3.6 ->1.1.3 / 1.2.3), but the camera was rebooting back into 1.3.6. He used the initial method (card swapping), with a SD and CF card (that's what he had). The failed update was jumping from ~ 49% right 100% (video).

Solved by trying the "battery door" method. A successful upgrade/downgrade should take about 4 minutes. The failed one took about 1 minute.

So, the 1.3.6 updater code (aka the "card swapping" method) is probably not the best choice for downgrading, although it did work for some users.

LevV

Sorry for crashing the discussion, but I was wondering if anyone had any insight on how to downgrade firmware on a different camera? ie. My camera is giving me an older firmware version error (blah, blah, blah 😑)

Walter Schulz

You may want to "update" as described by Canon. Just use the version compatible with ML.

LevV

I have a M50 tho 😬 I tried all available options but nothing works. ML for this camera is not yet released and I am using version 1.0.3 😫

Walter Schulz

Can you please explain a few points?
"Tried everything": Including EOS Utility and the procedure described by Apollo7 in this thread and re-defined by a1ex?
Why are you looking for a downgrade? The only ML build available for M50 is called "fishy" and has very limited features.

EDIT: I don't own an M50 but another Digic 8 cam. And downgrading with EOS Utility is working well.

LevV

In regards to tried everything, yes I mean:

* attempt downgrade via EOS utility. once I reach the end of the file transfer, I arrive to a screen that does not initiate the update/downgrade. After a while, my camera shutdown. Upon awakening, I go to menu and attempt downgrade and arrive to older firmware error. Also in my EOS utility, USB functions are disabled as the camera transfer via WiFi. (V1.0.3)  locks the ability to downgrade. I am not able to see the WFT option in my EOS utility. EOS utility v2 does not detect my camera and it opens v3.

*I format card, reset custom buttons and manually load v1.0.2 to sd card, I still get the same older firmware detected error

In regards to why I want to downgrade: yes I would like to test drive the limited version ML. Just to reference the code and see if I can help out "or" by the good graces of the camera gods: an official test version is released 😬

Walter Schulz

Format card in cam, retry EOS Utility (in-cam downgrade won't work) and follow on-screen instructions in EOS Utility.
If it doesn't work: Link a small video of your cam's screen during installation.

LevV

Sorry for the late response, been editing video since April 19 :-X as soon as I get room in between edits, I will post the video. Currently doing post  :'(

*edit: one more thing, should I use a smaller sd card? It seems 16gb formats as fat32 and 32gb formats as exfat. Do you think this would be a reason to why I am unable to downgrade and or install ML? Reason being, when I flash ML Bootable disk, my ML bin file initiates a dump. Even when camera is in off position, lights flash, camera starts and it begins to dump to card. After process complete. I take out put back in the battery, close the door; camera starts to dump again. It's weird but I will record it as well

liberatemycamera

hi guys, I have tried to read through this thread and other websites, but I am really in over my head with all of this. Can anyone hold my hand on downgrading from 1.3.5 on my 5dmkiii so I can run ML again? I am willing to pay someone if they can just maybe hop on a phone call or facetime with me and walk me through it. Trying to understand all of this on my own is difficult and depressing.

I sent in my 5dmkiii for canon repair, and they updated the firmware to 1.3.5. Of course I have now found out that this blocked ML from running, and here I am. I did the firmware thing over 4 years ago, used ML for a while for a project and then promptly forgot about it. I tried to use it the other way, discovered it's blocked on 1.3.5, and here I am. I am just overwhelmed trying to understand reading this thread, and frankly I feel so desperate for help that I'm willing to just pay someone to hold my hand on this.

I hope that I am not breaking any rules of this forum with this post. If I am, I am sorry and will remove this post, but please understand that there are some folks like me lurking in this thread that need things painfully explained and laid out.

Walter Schulz

Quote from: liberatemycamera on June 05, 2020, 12:33:20 AM
[...]but please understand that there are some folks like me lurking in this thread that need things painfully explained and laid out.

Which has been done by dfort in first post of this thread. Just follow the steps.

liberatemycamera

Quote from: Walter Schulz on June 06, 2020, 03:52:37 AM
Which has been done by dfort in first post of this thread. Just follow the steps.

I assure you, I did read it, along with every other reply in this thread. I don't even know where to begin with regard to all of the questions that I have. There is too much information for me digest. If that makes me dumb, I'm cool with that. I am willing to pay someone at least $20 if they can just hop on a call or text message and walk me through it step by step for a few minutes. I am willing to paypal you upfront. If there is a PM feature on this board, PM me. Otherwise we can figure out some other way to take communication off the board.

Thank you

Walter Schulz

Thanks but no thanks.
And I think you are better off without ML.

liberatemycamera

Wow, you come across quite rude. What have I done to inspire such arrogance in you?

nikfreak

It's not arrogance. It's Walter.

Quote from: liberatemycamera on June 07, 2020, 07:49:00 AM
I assure you, I did read it, along with every other reply in this thread. I don't even know where to begin with regard to all of the questions that I have. There is too much information for me digest. If that makes me dumb, I'm cool with that...

Please read 1st post UNTIL you understand what and how to do. Do it twice, thrice... That's not dumb - that's how it works..
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

yourboylloyd

Yeah Walter is just like that lol. I used to think he was pure evil but now I've grown to love it XD

Anyways. Youtube is your friend my friend. Everything is on there.
Join the ML discord! https://discord.gg/H7h6rfq

theBilalFakhouri

Okay
it's the time to introduce my free service

Preparation

1- Make sure the battery is fully charged
2- Download and Install EOS Utility on your MAC/PC
3- You should have a USB cable for your camera
4- Download the desired camera firmware like 1.1.3 to your MAC/PC
5- You should have SD Card, format it and put it in the Camera
6- Set you camera to Manual settings and Still Photo Mode

Steps

1- Plug USB Cable to Camera and MAC/PC
2- Launch EOS Utility and Continue Reading from the first post Here from this Image:

Quote from: dfort on February 11, 2017, 02:58:02 AM

Note: Maybe you should also copy 1.1.3 firmware to your SD Card, not sure.

P.S. I didn't try this method I wrote what I understood after reading the first post
Recommended: Read the first post
End of tutorial

I don't have firmware update in my EOS Utility and 700D
1" border="0
2" border="0

Maybe because of:
that you need some older 2.x version of Canon EOS Utility to do the downgrade but I found that is not really the case. If you happen to have one of those irrevocable firmware versions on your camera you can use whatever version of EOS Utility you have.

HA! Just noticed that "WTF Captions" item. Who says Canon engineers don't have a sense of humor?
It's WFT (Wireless File Transmitter) not WTF :P

Danne

4 pages. Reader should have stumbled upon this https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=18941.msg226038#msg226038
I do not recommed beginners or "sloppy" readers to attempt this:

EOS utility will not bite on 1.3.5 or am I wrong here? Is it 1.3.6. If so, use eos utility already.

liberatemycamera

ya know what, my apologies. There is certainly a wealth of information here, I should have just asked acknowledged that and asked the first few questions that I had and gone from there.
So here's my first one:
EOS Utility doesn't seem to recognize my camera when I connect it to the computer....do I need to upgrade to 1.3.6 to be able to proceed?