5 Axis Timelapse

Started by pocketrubbish, February 08, 2017, 09:49:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pocketrubbish

These were recorded over a 1 week period around the Trona Pinnacles and surrounding areas of Death Valley and the Mojave. It was mostly to test the rig I built but damn if they didn't come out nice. As you may notice it's hard to resist using an oil lantern in each shot.
Most of them were recorded on my IR modified 6D with a 14mm Rokinon T3.1, a few others were done with my 5D and various other lenses. Magic Lantern and LRTimelapse were used for the day/night transitions. First time using LRTimelapse, what a treat. Still need to get better at the holy grail, especially when I'm pointing into the sun.
Music was done by me farting around with LMMS.

And here is a slow boring video showing off how the rig works.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmgfT2uR2_0

rpt

Lovely! Thanks for sharing.

mothaibaphoto

Technically, your time machine exceeds everything i've seen before, and very close to machine i dream to build myself
(i want also to animate zoom on my 16-35).
Great timelapses, very impressive!
And thanks for sharing your setup!

ItsMeLenny

The 4th and 5th axis are time and quantum manipulation.

D_Odell

Quote from: pocketrubbish on February 08, 2017, 09:49:21 PM
And here is a slow boring video showing off how the rig works.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmgfT2uR2_0

Very impressed of you customized build! Totally rocking!
How much post is it involved to get it stable as you want it?
5D3 [size=6pt](OLPF removed)[/size] :: 1.1.3 :: Canon FD L Serie

RenatoPhoto

Cool stuff here.  Quantum time machine indeed!  ;D
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

pocketrubbish

Quote from: D_Odell on February 09, 2017, 10:54:23 AM
Very impressed of you customized build! Totally rocking!
How much post is it involved to get it stable as you want it?

Thank you!

And for the stabilization, about as much as I expected, which is to say a moderate amount. Warp stabilizer doesn't like the stars moving so I have to manually add a tracking point in after effects to get it smoother. But when you are doing 30 seconds exposures while moving post stabilization can't fix gross errors. The jib arm doesn't like wind over 10 mph either.

Biggest improvement I need to implement is better ramping in between keyframes for the motion routine. I've got accel/decel working for faster speeds (<30 minutes) but it seems to fall apart for the really slow speeds. Its just a software issue I'm sure I will sort out, but I'm kind of burned out from the coding/testing cycle at the moment.

D_Odell

Quote from: pocketrubbish on February 09, 2017, 10:38:48 PM
Thank you!

And for the stabilization, about as much as I expected, which is to say a moderate amount. Warp stabilizer doesn't like the stars moving so I have to manually add a tracking point in after effects to get it smoother. But when you are doing 30 seconds exposures while moving post stabilization can't fix gross errors. The jib arm doesn't like wind over 10 mph either.

Biggest improvement I need to implement is better ramping in between keyframes for the motion routine. I've got accel/decel working for faster speeds (<30 minutes) but it seems to fall apart for the really slow speeds. Its just a software issue I'm sure I will sort out, but I'm kind of burned out from the coding/testing cycle at the moment.

Have you hade a look at this plug in for AE? It's over priced but revolutionary if you get it to work.
https://www.reelsteady.com

pocketrubbish

That looks interesting but I think I'm going to fix it in hardware rather than rely on post to take care of me. The less I sit at my computer the happier I am haha.

D_Odell

Quote from: pocketrubbish on February 11, 2017, 12:30:12 AM
That looks interesting but I think I'm going to fix it in hardware rather than rely on post to take care of me. The less I sit at my computer the happier I am haha.
Agree 100 %