Live Music 550D

Started by ItsMeLenny, February 02, 2017, 01:58:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ItsMeLenny

I shot a friend of mine doing some live music and as usual ML the firmware that never leaves my camera aided quite a bit.
Shot on a 550D with the 50mm 1.8, plus a rode stereo video mic for audio.
I shot on the 1.8 because it was quite dark and I wanted to keep my ISO as low as possible.
I also shot at 24p (23.9 whatever) in an attempt to get longer exposure times to keep the ISO low.
As I was running around a bit I decided to keep the ISO on automatic to save me some set up time,
this worked out fine, the brightness barely fluctuates.
I used ML to aide in white balancing, which was basically impossible as there was a big orange light as the spotlight as the venue is going under some change.
I also used ML for focus peaking, which there did end up some out of focus shots as I used extra test shots which I was still focusing in.
Then I also used ML for the general extra settings, no audio auto gain for the external mic, zero sharpness, a couple of other settings.
I edited this in cinelerra and did some heavy colour grading as the footage just looked orange, so I dipped the shadows into the green.

The main intention was to record that first song, but I got footage of this nice harmonica solo so I blended it together with another shot and quite like it.

DeafEyeJedi

Interesting colors coming from this footage. I can totally feel your nightmare in trying to set the W/B!

Though his harmonic sounded really nice actually. Especially coming from a 550D. Mind if I ask what was the highest ISO used in this?
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

ItsMeLenny

Yeah the W/B >_< it was essentially like shooting with only one colour channel, or maybe 2 strip. I don't mind the resulting image, however I've never been big on colour grading, I'm more a fan of colour correction and getting the actual colours of the scene.
The ISO was on auto so I don't know the exact number. I usually have the logs for camera settings turned on but I don't think they were this time since I last updated the firmware. I believe it was hitting around 2000, that was while at 1.8/f and around 1/48. I think it looks a little cleaner because I drop the darks into black, plus I shot in 1920x1080 but then shrunk it down to 1280x720. I forgot to turn the bit-rate up as well, would've liked to just bump it up a little.
The rode mic I have definitely fixes the majority of audio issues with the 550D