High ISO at noon ?

Started by ImaXineria, January 21, 2017, 11:32:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ImaXineria

Hello
in the C cameras of canon (as the c500), contrary to the obvious - as result of behavior of sensor in terms of  dynamic range- is better use high iso  at noon or at day and low iso at night (accordingly to the papers white of cannon) ¿is this applies also to the 5d mp3

Walter Schulz

Mind sharing a link to said whitepaper?

D_Odell

5D3 [size=6pt](OLPF removed)[/size] :: 1.1.3 :: Canon FD L Serie

reddeercity

Quote from: ImaXineria on January 21, 2017, 11:32:05 AM
Hello
in the C cameras of canon (as the c500), contrary to the obvious - as result of behavior of sensor in terms of  dynamic range- is better use high iso  at noon or at day and low iso at night (accordingly to the papers white of cannon) ¿is this applies also to the 5d mp3
Not really but there do share some basic similarly , even though there are both Canon Sensors  there very much very different .
The dynamic range on the 5d3=11 stops where the C500=12 stops which is close  :o
I think the image below can help explain

C500 Dynamic Range

So from the above image you can see there's greater DR below 18% Gray @ 320 ISO (which I do think is a digital ISO Pushed or Pulled from an Pure Analog 200,300)
Not 100% sure about 5D3 but my 5D2 produces more DR & less noise @ 200 ISO then 100 ISO with ETTR at low light , you have to remember that with the 5d3 there is
pixel binding and you have way more area to collect light , 5D Mark iii Full Frame 36 × 24 mm (864mm2 area)  C500 Super 35 (26.2 mm x 13.8 mm(361.56mm2 area)
So there's almost twice the surface area in the 5d3 vs. C500 , need I say more  ;D

a1ex

Quote from: reddeercity on January 23, 2017, 01:36:07 AM
Not 100% sure about 5D3 but my 5D2 produces more DR & less noise @ 200 ISO then 100 ISO with ETTR at low light

Wrong.

You get better shadow detail at the expense of highlights, but DR is nearly the same (actually slightly lower at 200). This applies to both cameras.

To see for yourself, try comparing e.g. ISO 100 at 1/50 with ISO 200 at 1/100 in both shadows and highlights.

Quote from: D_Odell on January 23, 2017, 12:31:11 AM
https://www.cinema5d.com/the-canon-white-paper-that-demistifies-high-dynamic-range/

Could not find OP's claim in your link.

reddeercity

Ok it looks like I being corrected

D_Odell

Quote from: a1ex on January 23, 2017, 01:42:17 AM
Could not find OP's claim in your link.
Just liked to the white paper non the less.
5D3 [size=6pt](OLPF removed)[/size] :: 1.1.3 :: Canon FD L Serie

ImaXineria

Here the actual white paper:

http://learn.usa.canon.com/app/pdfs/white_papers/White_Paper_sensitometric.pdf

And my point is:
According tha white paper...
if I am in a high key situation with highlights a lot of light seams to be better choose to use higher ISO
If I am an night or dark interior, low light or low key (lots of blacks) seams to be better to use low ISO

because I have more room on highlights with high ISO and more room on shadows with low ISO
With those c cameras

I wonder if the same goes for 5d mk 2 and 3

ImaXineria

I just did a test
But culdnt get in to conclusions
I did a ML test and a ProresHQ Test
But have no idea how to post a image here or share it

ImaXineria

I really appreciate this Alex
I wrote Bloom, Laforete, Technicolor, Canon, Hulburt and no one took the time to answer
Really thanks

ImaXineria

Canon just answered:

"Thanks for contacting Canon USA.  The sensors in our Cinema EOS cameras are different from the sensors in our regular EOS cameras.  As such, on an EOS 5D Mark III, we recommend using more traditional exposure calculations in regards to your ISO use.  Use a low ISO in bright conditions and a higher ISO in low-light conditions."

mothaibaphoto

Very interesting, how is that possible and why is that difference...
And, what about 1D?

ImaXineria

Me: In this difference: is the 1DC on the regular or the Cinema side?
Canon: While it may have many of the same features as a DSLR camera, we treat the EOS-1D C as part of our Cinema EOS line.

mothaibaphoto

i've read that 1DC is actually 1D + new firmware + heatsink. So, all the difference they are speaking is probably not the sensor, but software - how they produce the Log, for example.

Levas

Quote"Thanks for contacting Canon USA.  The sensors in our Cinema EOS cameras are different from the sensors in our regular EOS cameras.  As such, on an EOS 5D Mark III, we recommend using more traditional exposure calculations in regards to your ISO use.  Use a low ISO in bright conditions and a higher ISO in low-light conditions."

Different sensors?
CMOS is a CMOS right, so difference are probably in signal handling, maybe the cinema line have a different A/D signal handling path ?