EOS Utility monitor with Magic Lantern

Started by Containspnuts, January 21, 2017, 06:56:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Containspnuts

Hi, I am looking to use my laptop as a monitor for video shoots using a rebel t2i, which I know I can do with EOS Utility. I was just wondering though if I can still use this EOS Utility feature while running magic lantern?  I am new to magic lantern and while it's running great so far I am concerned about the possibility of bricking my camera. I know the canon controls for aperture, iso, and the like can be controlled through the laptop, but since I will be running magic lantern, will that just not compute with EOS Utility and damage my camera? If so, does anyone know of any good external video monitoring solutions to use with magic lantern? 

Thanks!

reddeercity

I would not recommend it , I read issue in this posts here 5DMkII not working after connecting to EOS Utility As I have a 5D2 I took that as a warning .
You do need EOS Utility to load picture styles , minimize any change of "bricking" my cam I use a non enable card or by-pass the boot flag.
Not sure if it's a Digic 4 Canon EOS problem (T2i , 5D2 , etc.... ) but I haven heard of any Digic 5 cams (5D3 etc..) having problems .
You can use USB 2.0  external video monitoring with Magic Lantern safely with "EOS Camera Movie Record" I wrote a post here about it
You can record raw video while monitoring and also capture the USB video stream at the same times to the hard drive.

ibrahim

Quote from: Containspnuts on January 21, 2017, 06:56:45 PM
Hi, I am looking to use my laptop as a monitor for video shoots using a rebel t2i, which I know I can do with EOS Utility. I was just wondering though if I can still use this EOS Utility feature while running magic lantern?  I am new to magic lantern and while it's running great so far I am concerned about the possibility of bricking my camera. I know the canon controls for aperture, iso, and the like can be controlled through the laptop, but since I will be running magic lantern, will that just not compute with EOS Utility and damage my camera? If so, does anyone know of any good external video monitoring solutions to use with magic lantern? 

Thanks!

Which field monitors do you strongly recommend to use on for raw 5d3 that has focus peaking, cropmark 2.35:1, 24fps, 16:9, scopes, that are compatible with raw 14-bit recording. I don't want to record to it only use it for focusing on my ronin-M gimbal and make use of scopes and false colors while recording on my CF card. Recording with the monitor is not my goal. My budget it max 600 dollars.
Since I will not be able to see my camera's LCD screen do I need to use firm 1.2.3. I have read some say that I will only be able to see the monitor with 1.1.3 while the cameras screen turns black. Is that true?
Another question. Will we be able to use a 4K monitor with 14-bit in 4K or is it so that the 5d3 can only output 1080p in hdmi? Just asking so that I would know if it is worth the extra money to spend on a 4K monitor.
Canon 5D Mark IIIs | Ronin-M | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 planar | Zeiss 35mm 1.4 distagon  | Zeiss 24mm f2 distagon | Zeiss 85mm f1.4 planar
Dual sound system: Tascam DR-60d MKII | Audio Technica AT899 | Sennheiser MKE 600

ItsMeLenny

I never had a problem when I ran eos utility with magic lantern on my 550D.
And I did all kinds of combos including changing ML settings in the camera while it was hooked up.
Personally I can't understand how it would break the camera.