All my last year magic Lantern RAW - 2016

Started by Francis Frenkel, January 19, 2017, 09:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Francis Frenkel

One year of shorts films shot in 20016 in 2'30 !
Only in RAW ! Only with Magic Lantern !

No camera for the moment can offer me what offers my good old Canon 5D Mark3 with Magic Lantern.
My buddy Canon in MLVRAW is my pen, easy to move. No need to have a large team to managed it !
I can shot quickly, easily, and I can be very close to the actors.

Why not Panasonic GH5 or Sony A7S II ? Just because I love the 14bits color depth and the "organic noise", more than 4k, or slow motion...
I can give my own signature to the image, instead of using Pansonic or Sony one !

Why not Red o Alexa ? Just because there are to expensive, to heavy, to big, 5K or 6k are too heavy to manage in post, my EF lenses are croped...
My old Canon 5D III is not less "professionnel", it just fit in my hands, it's enought for me.

My short films are shown in cinemas in DCP 2K upscaled from FullHD, and they have won several "best cinematography" awards in international festivals, thanks to the flexibility of the MLVRAW.

Magic Lantern is a simply fantastic tool that has changed the face of the world of video creation.

Thanks so much guys, I owe you so much.

https://vimeo.com/191539461

Francis.
DOP
Francis Frenkel
www.ffrenkel.com

maxotics

If anyone has any doubts about ML Raw as a professional solution then all they need to do is watch your behind the scenes productions.  It looks like you have a lot of professionals trusting their day to ML RAW.  Like you, once I saw what RAW could do I couldn't watch Panasonic/Sony video without feeling I was watching people as weirdly-colored plastic moving mannequins.

I'm posting here for you poor filmmakers out there!  Although the 5DIII is dropping in price, the 7D is falling faster.  I bought one for $400.  Although it doesn't shoot 1080p easily like the 5DIII, it's close enough and it seems rock solid.  In other words, if you like what Francis has done get a 7D and either use his post solution, or MLVProducer for PC, or MLRawViewer (cross platform).  Yes, you'll have to spend an extra few minutes with each clip to get them into an editable 8bit space, but even doing a half-ass grade will give you a natural look one simply cannot get any other way.

GutterPump

Congratulation Francis, Thanks to you, with your shorts films and your presence, all the French community of ML can be proud of you.  :)

nikfreak

What I've seen so far from you is just a pleasure to watch. Keep up the good work. Awesome stuff!
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

Simonwb

Well done, Francis and thank you for all you share with us.
5D3.123 | 5D4 | C100ii | 16-35 f4 | 24-105 f4ii | 70-200 f2.8ii | 50 f1.2 | 100 f2.8 | Samyang 16, 24, 35, 50, 85, 135

Francis Frenkel

maxotics
QuoteYes, you'll have to spend an extra few minutes with each clip to get them into an editable 8bit space, but even doing a half-ass grade will give you a natural look one simply cannot get any other way.
That's true ! I think it's necessary to take time. The long process is an advantage in fiction.

I use Raw cause light and colors are crucial for me. Colors and Light are a part of narration. Light on the actors, light and color around the actors, on a set. With Raw, I can work on light and color with subtlety and precision.
I can sketch an atmosphere with light and colors,  that I could accentuate in post.
If my light and color intentions are in the frame, I could transform and finalize them exactly as I wish.

In a 4k and 8bits workflow, I could reframe, yes => but framing is part of cinematographic writing, I choose to frame, I and want the actor to play with the frame !
In an 4k and 8bits workflow, I have very little latitude to finalize the work of light and color in post =>  everything must be done on shooting.

nikfreak  Simonwb
Thank you so much !

Francis Frenkel
www.ffrenkel.com