Timelapse Theme Park FPS & low ISO

Started by 3pointedit, August 03, 2012, 09:47:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

3pointedit

A quick demonstration of Magic Lantern's Frames Per Second remapping feature. This feature allows you to record at low frame rates and coupled with ISO reduction you can desensitize the camera to just ISO 25. That means you can have long exposures that don't burn out to badly, without the need for a vari-nd filter.

I cut this with Blender freeware editor, using speed remapping and stabilising as all shots were handheld and some needed colour correction.
550D on ML-roids

Pumpkinwaffle

What a wonderful video, I really like it. I love the effect in the movement and the rhythm of the machines. A tad overexposed sometimes but it adds an interesting appeal to it. What's the name of the music used?

I sure am glad to see the 550D can do that! Was colour correcting hard? I've never done any myself, one of the many things I have to learn...
550D ~ canon 50mm 1.8 ~ canon EF-S 18-55mm ~ canon 35-80mm [macro moded]
http://pumpkinwaffle.deviantart.com/

bart

Nice one and shows the capabilities of fps override. Thanks.

screamer

always trying to use the 100% of magic lantern..
Gear:
Canon 60D, all the samyang lenses, Canon 50 mm 1.4, Canon 60mm macro, Canon 70-300 usm, Sigma 4.5mm fisheye, Sigma 17-70 2.8, Canon 40mm f2.8 pancake, all the Lensbabies and a lot of other pieces, Flash metz 58 af2

3pointedit

Quote from: Pumpkinwaffle on August 03, 2012, 12:12:15 PM
What a wonderful video, I really like it. I love the effect in the movement and the rhythm of the machines. A tad overexposed sometimes but it adds an interesting appeal to it. What's the name of the music used?

I sure am glad to see the 550D can do that! Was colour correcting hard? I've never done any myself, one of the many things I have to learn...

Thanks, the music details are in the credit, don't know off hand but it's from ccMixter.
I feel it ran to long but it was a tech demo first and Blender on my home PC struggled with playback a bit. The overexposure was due to using the ISO reducing feature (down to ISO 25!) but it still clips a bit. Also there was a lot of out of focus stuff as the auto focus struggles in FPS mode (not enough refresh to resolve well).

The color correction would have been much better in the compositor of Blender instead of the VSE or video editor, but I was running out of time (and patients).

Its really cool to have Timelapse in the video mode with such low frame rates but I didn't bring a vari-nd with me to stop down the lens, so I used the ISO function instead. I was carefull to shoot the subjects as dark as possible, that is back lit or from the side. I also had fun doing handheld timelapse and stabilising it later. Which works surprisingly well, but would have been better if I remembered to hoot at 1080 instead of at 720!! The stabilise function I used in Blender zooms the reframed image up to accomodate the movement of the frame so you loose some resolution.
550D on ML-roids