5D mark II won't boot with CF card

Started by atxwill, January 15, 2017, 12:15:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

atxwill

I bought a gently-used 5D mark II a few weeks ago and I've been using it just fine with ML on a 32GB and 64GB CF card until a few days ago when it suddenly stopped working.

The camera will boot only without a CF card or with a 4GB card that the seller gave me. It won't boot with the 32 or the 64. I've tried uninstalling ML, formatting the card, disabling and enabling the boot flag on both, tried the LED and display diagnostic methods, and restarted the camera continuously while switching multiple batteries out.

The LED will blink when booted without the card, or with the 4GB, but won't blink with the 32 or the 64. As far as I can tell, the camera functions just fine when it boots, it just won't boot with the cards I actually need it to boot with.

Initially, I thought the issue was just a faulty card, so I had the 64GB replaced through Amazon. After trying out the replacement card today, it still did not function, and did not function after reformats.

What might be wrong here, and what should I do?

GutterPump

Did you try to format your cards in FAT32 on your computer ? And what is the brandname of your cards ? Some Komputerbay CF cards get corrupted if you don't use UDMA7 reader.

atxwill

Yes - still won't work no matter how many times I format them. And they're both Lexar 1066x cards.

Also, something I noticed just now was whenever I insert the cards, and they don't work, there's a very quiet and low clicking sound from within the camera's reader. I don't know whether this noise is normal or not but it's something I noticed.

Boscom

I hope it isnt the case with yours, but my 5D2 recently had a bent pin in the memory card connector. I tried to straight it with some jewellers tools but it broke off completely. Its now away being mended at great expense.

The symptoms were similar to yours, the camera wouldnt boot at all with a card in it.

atxwill

Just wanted to update - wasn't a firmware or software issue at all apparently. It was a bent pin in the reader. They tried to straighten it but said it didn't work, so they're replacing the array at some expense. Thanks all for the help.