HDR bracketing error when 2 second delay enabled

Started by wx_junkie, August 02, 2012, 04:55:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wx_junkie

Hello there,

I recently installed v2.3 on my Canon 550d (T2i), mainly for the enhanced bracketed exposure features.  I am running the required 1.0.9 F/W on my Canon.

I initially set it up to do 5 shots at 1.5 increments.  So when I set my initial shot up at -3, I get 5 images: -3, -1.5, 0, 1.5 and 3.  Perfect!

But when I turn off the "2 second delay" (I use a shutter release cable so the 2 second delay is bothersome, especially for panos), here's what happens:  I get 2 identical shots at the first exposure (-3), and -1.5 is skipped altogether.  So I still get 5 shots, but they're: -3, -3, 0, 1.5 and 3.

If I re-enable the 2 second delay, it works fine again.  Turn it off, broken.

I have tried rebooting, battery-pull, but the problem has not gone away.

Are there any other settings that could account for what I'm experiencing?  I have not touched any other Magic Lantern settings since installing (all at Defaults).

Thanks very much,

Ray

wx_junkie

Interesting tid-bit:

I had it set to Aperture priority before, so I then tried Manual Mode (with 2 second delay turned off).  It worked fine THE VERY FIRST TIME i shot a bracketed set, but now any subsequent set I shoot, it does the same thing (duplicates exposure 1 and skips 2 entirely).

Ray

CosmicSlop

I sometimes get this behavior also. Although I've never nailed it down to anything repeatable. I just thought it was a result of shooting in bright daylight and not having the number of exposures necessary to make ML happy.

I'll be watching this thread to get an answer to this issue, too.

wx_junkie

Quote from: CosmicSlop on August 03, 2012, 06:04:24 AM
I sometimes get this behavior also. Although I've never nailed it down to anything repeatable. I just thought it was a result of shooting in bright daylight and not having the number of exposures necessary to make ML happy.

I'll be watching this thread to get an answer to this issue, too.

For one split-second, I thought that too.  But this was quickly discounted, as with the same lighting conditions, it works with 2-second delay on, and fails with it off.  And for kicks, I tried swapping the order of the shots from + to -, and then it's the first + shot that gets duplicated instead of the first - shot.

I'm hoping an admin will chime in soon to confirm that this is a bug (and possibly move this thread to the bug forum).

Ray

a1ex

Not confirmed on 5D2, and I see no reason why it would work with 2s timer and why it won't without.

Bracketing works like this:

1) You take the first picture (at 0 EV, with Canon settings).
2) ML detects that a picture was taken (and this process is identical regardless of timer setting).
3) ML continues the sequence from there.

If you use some other triggers (like audio remote shot or intervalometer), then ML would do the first shot, so in this case, the process might be slightly different.

wx_junkie

Here are my HDR Bracketing settings:

Frames: 5
EV increment: 1.5 EV
Sequence: 0 + ++
2-second delay: Auto
ISO shifting: Off
Post scripts: Off

I'm shooting in manual mode, auto focus, live-view ON.  Aperture set to 8.0, ISO 400.

Since I've got the sequence set to start at the shortest exposure, I frame my shot at rotate the wheel to adjust the shutter so that my brightest regions are properly exposed (say, -3 EV).   Depress half-way to auto-focus, then press fully.    After waiting for the 2 second-timer to elapse, Magic Lantern properly takes 5 bracketed photos, evenly spaced.

With identical settings but ONLY setting 2-second delay to OFF, press half-way to auto-focus, then press fully, I get 2 quick shots at the same exposure (-3 EV), and the next one is at 0 (the one at -1.5 EV is skipped).  The last 3 are correct, at 0, +1.5 and +3.

I am not using anything like you mention, such as audio remote shot or intervalomter.   I have not touched anything "out of the box" since installing, other than the HDR bracketing settings.

Ray

a1ex

Still can't reproduce on 5D2.

I could not test on 550D, since it needs replacing the shutter at Canon service.

wx_junkie

Now that v2.3 has been released to the masses, I'm interested in hearing if anyone else is having this issue on their 550D / T2i.

I'd like to get to the bottom of it,  be it a ML bug or my camera / settings.  I'm shooting photos and spherical panos for real estate agents, and 2 seconds extra per shot (especially on the 14-shot panos), really adds up over an entire shoot.

Otherwise.. loving the product, and looking forward to taking some new features for a spin in the near future.

Ray

Lupo

Hey there,

Similar behaviour here with the T2i, did some checks and not only repeat the exposure, sometimes even take more pictures than you ordered. Last 4 times, trying with the very same settings wx_junkie provided, my T2i takes 7 pictures instead of 5,  2 pictures at -1.5EV and 2 pictures at +1,5EV. -3, 0 and -3 work fine.

Works fine with Liveview OFF
EOS T2i & EOS 5D Mark III
Lens Canon EF-S 18-55 f/3,5-5,6; Canon EF 50 f/1,8; Cosina 28-210 f/3,5-5,6; Canon EF 75-300 f/4-5,6; Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3,5-4,5; Samyang 14 f/2,8; Tamron SP 24-70 f/2,8; Canon EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II

arcfeatures

I'm having a similar problem on my 600D. For me it doesn't make a difference whether the 2s-delay is enabled or disabled. What causes the problem for me is the duration I press the shutter. If I just press it very shortly, everything's working fine. But if I keep it pressed for several seconds (as you would do with the Canon-bracketing feature, I think), the first two frames of a 3-frame-HDR are exposed for the same time. So I for example get 1/80, 1/80, 1/320 instead of 1/80, 1/20, 1/320 for a +-2EV bracket.
Usually I would say, no big deal, just remember not to press the shutter too long. But I'm using this feature with the eMotimo TB3, where I can only set a static time (the time, where the system stays still) and not an exposure time additionally. So I have to set the static time long enough for the camera to finish the bracket, but during this time the shutter "stays pressed" by the TB3.
I also read a couple of times that people only had the problem when the camera was in another mode than M or when they had other shooting modes enabled than "single shot", but for me it really doesn't work with single shot and M mode.

If only someone would be able to clarify if this is a bug or if something is set up incorrectly. :-\