Why is my RAW footage so grainy even at ISO 100?

Started by thapapawan, January 07, 2017, 06:18:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thapapawan

Greetings!

Why is my RAW footage so grainy even at ISO 100? Is it because of bitrate? If so, I don't see bitrate (CBR) option on my ML menu.

I am using on 1.2.3 firmware in my 5D3. Also, how do you change the shutter speed to specific number. I can't change it to 1/50 or 1/120. It will automatically jump to either 1/64 or 1/135.

Please advice. Thank.

Deadcode

RAW is uncompressed, "bitrate" is not a valid value here.
Because it's raw there is no in camera processing such as sharpening or noise reduction.

If you want clean footage you have to expose properly. Turn on zebras, and increase exposure till zebras appears on "important" parts of the picture. Now dial back 1/3 step. Now you exposed properly (which means +1, +1,5 EV exp compensation)

Brawl

@Deadcode this is very interesting for me. For "important parts " do you mean for example that if I have a subject (an actor)  and a some sky in the background it doesn't matter if the sky start to overexpose, I must continue to over expose until the main subject (the actor) start to over expose?
This reminds me what I have read in the Roger Deakins (DOP) forum and I remember few years ago someone asked him if there were little overexposed spots inside the images in his works (or a similar question) and he answered that it does not matter if there were some little overexposed part (or a similar answer).

Sorry for my bad english.... :D I mean is cool to be elastic on this and maybe we cant shoot everithing in HDR.

Frank7D

Brawl,

It's up to you what is "important." If you would rather have a blown out sky than an underexposed actor then expose accordingly. This is where artistry informs technique.

DeafEyeJedi

5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

Danne

You usually pull back a stop or two in highlights in post when pushing exposure. Especially effective with some workflows in adobe camera raw.

Deadcode

The difference between "nothing is overexposed" vs for example lightsource clipping, or metallic reflection clipping can be about 1-1,5 stops. Dynamic range vs noise, always a good fight.
In low contrast situations like indoor artifical light you can easily overexpose by 2 stops without clipping (if there is no light source in the picture). Even if it's necessary to rise the ISO to get properly exposed image, do it.

Keep in mind, Davinci Resolve (Lite) dont apply any noise reduction to the DNG files. Out of box After Effects (Adobe Camera RAW) can give you cleaner result with 1/10 post processing speed compared to Resolve.

Properly exposed ISO100 can give you clean image.

Most of the time if your camera is set to auto exposure (raw, 5D, professionality, AutoExpo... WHAT?) just set the exposure compensation to +1EV and most of your shots will be fine