50D cannot load firmware updates after fixing a broken pin

Started by ilex, November 07, 2016, 09:59:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ilex

Hello
I have a problem with my 50D camera. Yesterday I took a picture without problems. I pulled the card and put another newly formatted on the PC. The camera will not start right away. From there on every time I try to shoot, it indicates ERR CF, format the card, but does not format. I have tried with 5 different cards and in all the same message comes out. The cards in a 40D work perfectly. Without card the camera works without problems. Can you help me? regards

Walter Schulz

First check cam's CF-card slot for mechanical damage = Bent or broken pins.

ilex

Thanks for you fast response Walter.

Yes there is a pin broken on the slot card.  >:(

ilex

A month ago I had a problem with my 50D. The CF card slot had a pin broken an the camera was not shoot down properly. After repair it, I can't upddate the firmware with no one card and differents ML buildings. The screen shows this message:

Firmware update program

Update file cannot be found.
Please check the memory card and reload the battery and try again.

I do this but the mesage is always the same.

Can any one help me?

Thanks in advance.

Walter Schulz

Format card in cam.
Copy extracted nightly build content to card.
Run firmware update.

If you still have troubles use a card with 32 GB or less.

ilex

I followed the steps you mention  on your post and tried with several different cards. The result is the same for all of them (pic attached), the camera freezes and I have to remove the battery in order to make it work again. Thanks in advance,
https://www.dropbox.com/s/w61j6z9z1lwqo4p/IMG_20170103_192730_HDR_1483468079056.jpg?dl=0

Walter Schulz

Walter Schulz

Looks good.

Use card with 32 GByte or less.
Format card in cardreader.
Format card in cam.
Copy extracted nightly build content to card.
Retry firmware update.

If unable: Rename ML-SETUP.FIR to ML_SETUP.FIR and then to ml-setup.fir
Retry and report.

a1ex

You can check the card on the 40D: if the boot flag is disabled and a 50D FIR is on the card, the 40D will show "Update file error". If no FIR is found, the 40D will show "Update file cannot be found".

If the 40D shows "Update file error", but the 50D shows "Update file cannot be found", the issue is hardware. In this state, I guess autoexec.bin would not be recognized either, and troubleshooting would require some hardware (e.g. JTAG or serial console).

ilex

Walter and a1ex, Thanks for your time and replay. The camera has a hardware problem and I'm not able to repair it. Fortunatly in Canon mode rules.
Regards.