Use another SD card without ML

Started by theo2947, December 26, 2016, 01:40:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theo2947

hello,
i am new to ML and would like to have more info to understand the use of it.
Is it possible to use a SD card whith ML NOT installed on it on a Camera where a SD card with ML was previously installed.

thxx ;D

Levas

dfort

Just make sure that the boot flag on the SD card isn't set otherwise the camera will hang on start up.

No problem if you're using a new card but if you ever had ML on that card don't just remove the ML files. Either use the "remove ML" option when you format in camera or do a low level format on your computer.

If you want to put ML back on that card you'll need to re-run the installation (Firmware Update) in order to set the boot flag on the card.

Note that there is also a boot flag set on the camera. If you run the installation and wait a minute before restarting the camera it will remove the camera boot flag.

Phragmites

I have a similar question to the OP, and if I restate what I understand of the conversation so far, can someone confirm it or put me right?

- You can use two separate SD cards (in my case on an EOS 6D) one with ML and one without, and swap between them with the camera turned off
- The SD card without ML, which should cause the camera to boot to the stock Canon firmware, must not have a boot flag set - this should be the default if the card has never had ML installed on it

I don't understand the reference to the boot flag on the camera, however. Can someone expand on that for me - what it is, when it's invoked, if it's stock firmware or ML related, etc.

Many thanks.

P

Phragmites

Thanks, Walter. Just what I was after.