Canon 5D Mark III bricked - stuck on firmware update.

Started by jzedurqn, December 20, 2016, 06:30:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jzedurqn

Hey folks,

Can you help me out here? :| My 5D3 is dead, stuck on firmware update.

Here's the story behind it:
I purchased it 6 months ago, almost new (7k shutter count). Was working fine with Magic Lantern for 4 months or so. Very minimalist usage. Didn't shoot much.

So for two months I was using it only in video mode (with ML, without ML) and it was fine if we don't count occasional ERR 80 showing up.

Few days ago I decided to remove Magic Lantern and install latest Canon firmware (1.3.4), I did the standard ML uninstall procedure (I've installed/removed ML on many cameras in the past years, so I know how it's done). After uninstalling ML, camera still "worked" as described above.

But, after starting firmware update it stuck at 9% and I'm not able to resolve that issue with 5 different batteries I have and 4 different cards (both CF and SD) since then.

My question is, is there any way I can bypass this issue and install firmware on my camera again? I'm OK with malfunctioning/only video mode working and regretting the moment I started this fucking firmware update.

P.S. The added problem is there's no official canon service center in my country.

a1ex

I assume it doesn't boot without a card, so you can't reach Canon menu. Is this correct?

I assume the boot flag is disabled (since you ran ML uninstaller). Does it load firmware updates?

Side note: once you leave it on, the LiveView will turn off after 30 minutes (even if auto power off is disabled). Unless you used the sticky half-shutter feature.

jzedurqn

Damn! After almost a week of trying everything, just now I managed to to finish the update. I attached some crappy autofocus Canon lens on it, while update was loading I clicked the shutter actuation button and top LCD panel blinked for a second showing standard stuff (aperture, shutter speed, shooting mode and etc.) and after that update started and it wen all the way through.

Of course It still malfunctioning as I described above, but at least I can shoot video now!

Thank you a1ex for replay. Yes it wasn't booting without a card and was running firmware update every time I inserted card and battery. I don't know what caused the malfunctioning, but it happened after I left the camera turned on overnight (I have no idea what sticky shutter is, so I guess It isn't turned on by default). It still malfunctions now, but I'm very happy I managed to get it back to "before firmware update state" and can shoot video now.

a1ex

The autofocus issue might indicate something on the MPU side (secondary processor). We don't know much about it, unfortunately.

What I can do is to get a debug log with all Canon messages. Here's a debug binary you can use - it logs everything in the first 30 seconds after startup, then saves a log on the card. Hope you can catch an error during this time.

BTW, make sure you have a backup of your ROM (under ML/LOGS on your card), just in case.

jzedurqn

I should install ML for that right? Or is there any other way to set bootflag on the camera? As I know it won't load autoexec.bin if bootflag isn't set.
I want to install ML actually, but now I'm afraid if I start firmware downgrade (from 1.3.4 to 1.1.3) it will stuck in the process again...
The card itself is bootable and I also have ROM logs from the previous ML install.

My feeling is that overall malfunctioning is related to power somehow... because going in and out in LiveView/Video mode is slow as well, mirror takes noticeable 1-3 seconds to flip.

P.S. Just to clarify, I don't think my issue is related to or caused by ML at all, so thanks a lot a1ex for taking time and helping me out.