Setup for 5D MKIII RAW recording

Started by IndyP, December 15, 2016, 05:53:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndyP

I have just acquired a 5D MKIII, downgraded to 1.2.3 Firmware and loaded Magic Lantern. Now I am ready to work with RAW but am still a little confused as to what modules to activate.

In one post, Alex says that in order to shoot RAW you must activate either RAW_REC.MO or MLV_REC.MO, but what are the differences between each one? Some posts suggest one is problematic when using an external recorder, i.e. dropped frames and freezing etc. but others have attributed this to a CF card that is not fast enough. Then there is the subject of audio. One module seems to work better if you are using double system sound as it does not allow the camera to record audio. Having said that, another says you can record audio by loading the mlv_snd module and enabling audio recording in the ML menu under the audio tab, but does that apply to one module, or both?

Another questions arises concerning the workflow in post, i.e. file conversion etc and the difficulty in doing this.

So, shooting RAW with  v 1.2.3 Firmware, using an external monitor and editing in Premiere Pro (I've got DaVinci Resolve on my Windows 10 PC but I don't think the graphics card can handle it). W

Which modules should I work with regardless if I want to record audio in the camera or not?

Thanks

beauchampy

Activate MLV_REC and MLV_SND
This will get you MLV ("Raw 2.0") recording and .WAV sound recording.
Yep, use a fast CF card - 1066x
Shoot at 23.976 to avoid automatic stops (when 5d cant keep up with the write rate).

My advice to you is shoot like that for a few days, get used to ML, get used to Resolve and the workflow. Have a search on the forum if you run into problems, but feel free to ask if you get stuck.

eNnvi

For workflow i suggest you mlvfs (search the forum), all footage in .mlv goes in the same dir, then you get a virtual disk with all the dng sequenze ready to use with première or davinci or whatever

IndyP

Thanks guys.

I already have a Canon T2i that I loaded with ML v2.3 when it first became available, so I'm fairly familiar with many of the features.

Regarding a CF card, I had researched that topic and ordered (nearly 2 weeks ago now), a Lexar 1066x from BH, but it's on backorder, so I'll have to wait.

It seems some guys were having many of the problems I list in my original post using a 1000x, but when they switched to the 1066x, the problems went away.